Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I am picking up our first motorhome on Thursday, so this weekend we are off looking at what we need to buy.

already got the unbreakable plates, bowls, glasses. But what would you say is the basic "starter" kit of essentials?

I know I am getting the electricity hook up cable and a gas cylinder, so currently I am thinking;

toilet chemicals
water roll thing (and a pump? i have a socket next to the water for a pump...?)
food grade hose (what sort of connector?)
little carpet sweeper
plastic storage boxes to put stuff like muddy boots in.

Is that it? i don't want to buy stuff for the sake of it, but I do want to be prepared - going to shop for accessories is part of the fun and the build up to finally being free

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Thanks a lot for your help

David

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Your Autoquest 100 will take two 6 Kg gas cylinders. We normally have a full one and part used one when we set off on a trip so that it's easy to change over if the one runs out. You will need a gas spanner to change over if the connection hose is the conventional one. I changed ours for a Gaslow stainless steel one which has a handwheel connection.

We started out using the Thetford pink and blue or green but now use Elsan Organic which can be used in both cassette and flush tank.

Our van came with the submersible pump all wired to a plug for using in the external socket but we had to buy a length of hose to use with it. We just bought a 25 litre white plastic jerry can rather an an Aquaroll (much cheaper and light enough to not need a hose for filling). We also bought a 20 litre black plastic jerry can for emptying the grey tank and have an aluminium trolley/bungees for transporting them. All very light when not in use and store on the Luton when travelling.

We get away with a hand brush on our travels and just use our domestic Hoover when we get back rather than carrying a carpet sweeper.

Muddy boots can be stood on a carrier bag to dry or put inside - takes less room than a rigid plastic box.

Graham

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
oh and a supply of bungee ties are always handy.
Some kind of grip things (or clothes pegs come in handy for if gripping and hanging things needed (not clothes)
Torches (can get ones that you plug into cigar lighter to charge)
scizzors
pen paper
carrier bags/bin bags

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
thanks for the advice so far - I feel no guilt for trying to learn from other people's trial and error :winky:

i will definitely be taking your advice, and we are planning on using the Luton for storage, as you seem to be doing Graham.

Might also look at the books advertised - checklists and log book of travels...

David

Upvote 0

kennygd

Free Member
Dec 1, 2009
Anywhere in the UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Starting out fulltiming
:Smile:Might be useful to get some plastic wheel risers for uneven or sloping ground, I found it useful to get a hosepipe I am up to 90 feet of it because of one place I stopped at I could not get to the tap, standard screw on tap adapters, two sizes, couple of quid from B&Q, it is amazing the things that you need once you get going.
kennygd:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thats easy, the first thing you do is go here Link Removed This is the most comprehensive book of checklists put together by Funsters. Sales of this book of checklists help to fund this site. :thumb: Its an ebook so you can download and be using the checks just moments after purchase. Checklists inside include..

• Comprehensive ‘Motorhome Health’ Checks
  • Complete Inventory Inside and Out - Never forget anything ever again.
  • Campsite Arrival Checklist
  • Campsite Departure Checklist
  • Pre-Purchase Internal & External
  • 30 point Winterising/Decommisioning Re-Comissioning
  • Pre-Foreign Travel Checks
  • First Aid and First Aid kits
  • Accident Checklist & Aide-Memoire
  • Annual Habitation Checks
  • Insurance Information Collection
  • Pets & Pet Gear
  • Packing for Children
  • Getting There Safely
Get it here Link Removed

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
:Smile:Might be useful to get some plastic wheel risers for uneven or sloping ground, I found it useful to get a hosepipe I am up to 90 feet of it because of one place I stopped at I could not get to the tap, standard screw on tap adapters, two sizes, couple of quid from B&Q, it is amazing the things that you need once you get going.
kennygd:thumb:

Thanks for the advice on the hose connectors - and good luck with the fulltiming! :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi Jim

Book bought, paid for downloaded and printing now - thanks a lot ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Beer:thumb:

No seriously, others in the past have said effectivly go play and see what you need before going mad, good advise as we went mad and are now ditching stuff, still got loads mind you toys are good:thumb:

Go for a short weekend away and just play and see what you think you'll need, the leveling ramps are a good idea but we haven't used ours in ages, wont be taking them out of the van though as you never know?

Hose and selection of connectors defo a good idea, we run two lengths in case we need the reach but the extension rarely comes out, good to know its there.

Daft things we've found emmensly useful, a bucket, reasonable size. Obviously as bucket, washing stuff, taking the 'top' of the grey as a use but, recycling, just outside the door and the cans and bottles and a once a day wander accross the site, more and more sites have recycling and using the bucket, no placy bags and a quick slosh at the relevant tap and away you go.

All in all get out, have FUN and careful in those camp shops, once popped into one for some daft little thing, couple of quid type thing, ended up over £200 lighter as SWMBO had to have that new barbi:Doh:

Then there was the moon chair, and.........:ROFLMAO:

Actually, series of that'll be better resulted in us now on outdoor chair set three, in four and a half years:Doh::cry:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
haha - sounds like we shop the same way! That is exactly the reason I asked the question, i know for certain we would fill up on gadgets that would never be used. All I want is the essentials to make sure that when i get where I am going I can do what I need to do.

After that I can start looking at what I want to do on top.

just as a thought out loud, for instance, is it worth getting a normal plug adaptor for the hook up so it can be plugged into a normal 3-pin wall socket - or would that be a useless thing that would never be used?

Thanks again to everyone

david

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Not useless at all - we use it when we plug her in at home!

I really don't see the need for an Aquaroll - or anything similar - but then so far we haven't actually wild camped per se, so we have always either had access to a tap to stick our hosepipe on, or have moved on when we needed facilities. We need to empty the loo more frequently than we need to fill the water up. OTOH I wash my hair under the sink mixer tap if not also showering, saves the whole of me and the whole bathroom getting drenched, I always get soap in me eyes etc if I do it under the m/home shower! and when showering we wet, then soap and wash, then wash off, we don't leave it running only when doing steps 1 and 3 ! And we don't necessarily shower every day - depends what we are up to.

No we don't smell. We didn't when we didn't have a bathroom either.

And of course if water and gas/electric are not at a premium or potentially in short supply then we do whatever we do!!

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
thanks for the advice so far - I feel no guilt for trying to learn from other people's trial and error :winky:

Absolutely right David :Smile: Why should you make the mistakes we did - you'll find plenty of your own :Smile:

i will definitely be taking your advice, and we are planning on using the Luton for storage, as you seem to be doing Graham.

Not necessarily an immediate purchase but we bought a cheap sun lounger from Asda - similar to This One (though I think it was a bit cheaper a few years ago when we got it) to make a shelf on the Luton, with a single side folded out. Folding chairs etc go underneath and sleeping bags/pillows go on top. Makes storage much easier.

Also shelves like Link Removed or similar from Wilkinsons for the side lockers.

The hook-up adapters are OK if you are plugging into an indoor socket at home. I found that they aren't rainproof if you plug into an outdoor socket so I installed a Commando socket on the garage wall and plug direct into that when I want to charge the battery/cool down the fridge before a trip.

Then you get to the big stuff like solar panels, awnings etc............... - but not for first trip :Smile:

Graham

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Got to have outside table/chairs. Have a good look at the tables - as some are quite rickety. We use the suncamp folding ones - these are pretty sturdy.

Grab some small plastic storage boxes for essentials - you can get you cookware in one, and store under the cooker - saves clattering about. We also use one for extra bits like aerial extension co-ax, first aid kit, breakdown kits etc. Keeps it neat and out the way.

Windbreak is always a good one, and one of those £5 barbeques from lidls is good to start off with.

And laminate a sign, and hang up with one of those ID card neck straps, which you throw over the rear-view mirror that states 'Windows Shut - Aerial Down - Roof Light Shut etc...... Whatever you vehicle has. Works as a handy reminder until you get into a routine.:thumb:

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi,one of the most usefull things i use is a short length o plastic hose with a rubber push on conector .bit like what used to be on twin tub washing machines. its about 4ft long and is usefull for filling up in hand basins. there may not be a suitable tap any where else..
cheers al;an.

Upvote 0

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Agreed, I use a short hose to fill my container so you can fill from a washhand basin.

Another tip, don't pay for a container with a tap, money wasted. Take your rucksack with you and buy the biggest plastic container that will fit in it then you can walk or cycle back and forth to the taps easily.:thumb:

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
For goodness sake, silverfox, don't be embarrassed , we all have to start somewhere, and you'll be helping others in no time.

Shifty does have a point, though. Find room for his wife, and give the dear lady a break.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
I'm sure you will find this checklists invaluable. Thanks for supporting MotorhomeFun:thumb:

No problem - i just ordered the travel log as well. Had to buy something since my big shopping trip ended up with just a kettle!

Upvote 0

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
critical for red wine

Dont forget a corkscrew if you like Wine. I normally buy screwtops, but my friend bought a corked bottle of wine, only to realise no corkscrew in motorhome... In desperation to drink contents, Motorhome was soon christened with a spray of red wine on ceiling (imagine Formula 1 winner with bottle of champagne but inside motorhome....) :cry:

Took me a while to clean that... Corkscrew now in motorhome!! ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Amid the fun, there are three things that are absolute necessities:

1. Fire Extinguisher
2. Fire Blanket
3. First Aid kit.

2 x 1Kg extinguishers are best - easy to handle. One in cab, (Driver's side pocket?) one in kitchen. Read how to use them, remove any security tabs.

Fire Blanket in kitchen. You can't use a fire extinguisher on a chip pan, for example,it just spreads the fire!

First Aid Kit. Aldi have got a very cheap but effective one this week, otherwise Boots or probably Asda. Read the instructions.

Finally, if your van hasn't got one, get an alarm system for fire.

Hope they're all a complete waste of money, but Be Prepared!

Also, remember if th van catches fire, get out quick, rather than fight it!! That's why you're insured, dead heroes don't pay next year's premium...

Upvote 0

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Our Mountain Tiger suggests a fun challenge for some of our engineers...

Anyone ever seen a left hand drive bottle-opener? Produce it for your second bottle, hand it to your guests, boy, ain't sadism fun?

Upvote 0

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Our Mountain Tiger suggests a fun challenge for some of our engineers...

Anyone ever seen a left hand drive bottle-opener? Produce it for your second bottle, hand it to your guests, boy, ain't sadism fun?

Now thats just mean!! especially if they are sharing wine with you!! Cant you change this to a left handed can opener instead...let them struggle with baked beans, not red wine!! Never keep a mountain tiger away from his red wine.. even the thought is upseting..:cry:

I need a glass of Pinotage to get over that one..well may be a bottle (or two)!! :thumb:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back