What and where to look when buying I890 Elegence (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi Folks

I might have the possibility to go and have a look at the above depending on price negotiations.
I'm very OCD when looking at leather, cupboards, body work, etc. So don't really have a problem with that, I think!

But what/where do I need to inspect to find if there's been any water ingress, is there any other areas that the burstner or motorhomes in general might have issues with that I need to be looking out for?

It's a 2013 so suspect that its timber framed.

I'm not worried about getting hands on could just do with some pointers.

Kind regards
Mark

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
@makems?? This is now at the dealers with 5K on what he was asking I think, if that's what your meaning.

Its not that one!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Burstners have 5 year warranty against water ingress.
Just ensure when you view that the van has an up to date habitaion certificate which should show the moisture % at every likely point of ingress such as windows, rooflights etc.
I always had an annual hab service done and received a map of the vehicle showing the relevant moisture %s .
Burstners generally have a very good reputation for being water tight. If the van does not have an up to date hab service sheet, either insist on one being done or take your own moisture meter when you view the van.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi Makems
Thanks for that, shame I was a few months away from having the cash in place for yours, they seem to be very popular, habitation cert will be provided which is a bonus, unfortunately its got the dreaded wheel corrosion issues, so will require removal, blasting and re protection, it has a vey small ding on a panel, but until I can get and see it i wont be sure if its repairable.
Although the owner has said they wont negotiate on price, so might be dead in the water before it's even began, £75,000 on a 13 plate seems a little steep, but if that's all that's wrong with it then I would like to be able to haggle down.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi Makems
Thanks for that, shame I was a few months away from having the cash in place for yours, they seem to be very popular, habitation cert will be provided which is a bonus, unfortunately its got the dreaded wheel corrosion issues, so will require removal, blasting and re protection, it has a vey small ding on a panel, but until I can get and see it i wont be sure if its repairable.
Although the owner has said they wont negotiate on price, so might be dead in the water before it's even began, £75,000 on a 13 plate seems a little steep, but if that's all that's wrong with it then I would like to be able to haggle down.
Ours is still available, but with Nick Whale mOtorhomes. Its a 63 plate and no wheel corrosion because they were all replaced under warranty.
https://www.nickwhalemotorhomes.co.uk/burstner-elegance-i-890-g-jco

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Hi makem
Sent them an e mail, it’s down as reserved on their website, so we asked if it falls through we’d be interested, but to be fair dealers don’t really want to haggle as prices are staying pretty strong and its above our budget unfortunately, wish I had the fund a couple of months ago

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
£75K for a 13 plate sounds a bit high if a private sale but could be worth paying if mileage low.

I found on my 2015 Elegance that I have minor stress cracking on the top at the trailing edge just above the red Burstner symbol but on the roof not the back wall so you would need to get on a ladder to view the top. I have no idea if it is a real problem but I am having the cracks repaired this week under warranty and will keep an eye on any further developments. also check to see any evidence that garage doors aren't closing completely, or they may pop open a notch during transit, as moisture can get in during winter months.

Other than that they are the most comfortable and tasteful of all the vehicles I have ever seen (other than perhaps Concordes & Morelo's but add £100K to the price for a comparable spec) and we love ours. The version you will be viewing is far better than the current standard that is for sale new. I cannot believe Burstner have made such tasteless changes from what they sold until 2016 - a real shame

Good luck

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is an elegant 1890 example. Needs a bit of work on waterproofing but otherwise perfect. :)

d1d2fa56b97de165fc123633d26e4462--sedan-farming.jpg

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
I've seen what you've done there DBK :LOL:

Thanks for that Delboy, mileage is about 26,000, full air suspension and self levelling, as stated wheels are bit of a mess which is a starting point for bargaining, what causes the cracking? Is it overloading the garage or design fault and will this be corrected on warranty? Although I would walk away if I notice these, Does an RAC AA inspection cover everything that it should on motorhomes? Sorry for so many questions but it's a lot of money to pay out, so I'm trying to make sure I haven't missed anything

Thanks again
Mark

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've seen what you've done there DBK :LOL:

Thanks for that Delboy, mileage is about 26,000, full air suspension and self levelling, as stated wheels are bit of a mess which is a starting point for bargaining, what causes the cracking? Is it overloading the garage or design fault and will this be corrected on warranty? Although I would walk away if I notice these, Does an RAC AA inspection cover everything that it should on motorhomes? Sorry for so many questions but it's a lot of money to pay out, so I'm trying to make sure I haven't missed anything

Thanks again
Mark
I doubt an RAC/AA inspection will cover the living area and specifically whether it would cover damp. The only way to be sure would be to ask them - and don't be fobbed off with generalities like "it covers everything important".

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Yes probably right, Think I might need to pull the overalls on, will come with habitation check so damp should be sorted

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Re the wheels it isnt cracking. Its a fault in the application of the gel coat and you get a sort of spider web effect underneath it. Its totally harmless but looks crap.

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Apologies, I meant cracking in the body panels above the burstner badge as per delboys post

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
When I asked the dealer about the cracking at the top of the back panel they didn't know why but suggested it was a result of the twisting motion the body must experience when traversing over uneven terrain (which is my theory too). The cracks are very fine hairline cracks several inches long and to some extent its a bit out of sight out of mind. You would be pretty unhappy if it was visible on the body panels but since you cant see it every time you look at it you tend to put it out of your mind. It certainly has not caused any moisture ingress looking at the damp readings.

As I said mine is being repaired on warranty this week (along with another vehicle but I don't know what type it is) and I will just ask them tomorrow when I pick it up how long this aspect is covered for on warranty. I also plan to visit the Burstner factory next June so will raise it with them, if not before. I am not overly concerned because the cracks are so small (perhaps naivety) but I cant see a vehicle of this type having a fundamental fault but maybe I am wrong. I haven't seen anyone else raise this as a problem so hopefully that is a good sign. Gong to keep am eye on it from now on though

OP
OP
Rudski01
Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for that, makes me wonder how they will repair? Is it just the paint/laquer cracking?
Be interesting to see what Burstner say keep us posted.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back