What AGM batteries do full times recommend ? (1 Viewer)

2sticks

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Hungerford
Funster No
MH
Van conversation
Exp
Hello all

what good AGM batteries do you recommend for full timers. I’m sure you all may have your favourites but hopefully with enough replies there might be a clear winner.

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
AGMs come in for a lot of stick on MHF, why I don’t know. Mine are still going strong after 4 years. Buy from a good firm like Tanya batteries and ask for their best offers. Mine are Varta
Phil
DITTO👍👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
hymer give AGM a 3 year lifespan. Why not go for good wets or gels?
What will your charging regime accept?

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Tayna batteries as opposed to Tanya, I bought from them and they give a good service with a postal option

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
AGM's need a charger that can cope with their particular requirements, a lot don't and that leads to poor life. http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/agm-batteries.php
Interesting that a significant number of car manufacturers have also reverted to flooded batteries as the pattern of use in stop/start cars seemed to be causing premature failures.
Gel's seem to offer better potential performance and life, I'm sure Lenny HB will give his experiences!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: f6c

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't think lots of people realise that most vans only come with chargers capable of only charging approx 120 to 180 amps of batteries yet stick 200/300 plus of batteries onto there systems then wonder why they don't get a full life out of batteries.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't think lots of people realise that most vans only come with chargers capable of only charging approx 120 to 180 amps of batteries yet stick 200/300 plus of batteries onto there systems then wonder why they don't get a full life out of batteries.
That aspect of the charger has no effect on battery life. It's stated so that the duty cycle of the charger isn't exceeded and even that is unlikely if it never has to charge totally discharged batteries. The worst that could happen is that the life of the charger is shortened.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My Money would be on Gel's but the question was rather loaded towards AGM for some reason.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm sure @Lenny HB will give his experiences!
Last Hymer the AGM's lasted 18 months, they wouldn't honor the warranty because they tested OK on a CCA test which is a starter battery test totally pointless on a leisure battery. Replaced them with Gels.
In my current van I got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 Gels, Gels are probably one of the most reliable batteries they can be discharged lower to 20% DOD, they last a long time 6-10years is quite common. The only downside is they take longer to fully charge and you need a charger with a Gel setting.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Last Hymer the Gels lasted 18 months, they wouldn't honor the warranty because they tested OK on a CCA test which is a starter battery test totally pointless on a leisure battery. Replaced them with Gels.
In my current van I got rid of the AGM and fitted 3 Gels, Gels are probably one of the most reliable batteries they can be discharged lower to 80% DOD, they last a long time 6-10years is quite common. The only downside is they take longer to fully charge and you need a charger with a Gel setting.
Check your first statement Lenny ;) It's not what I expected from you.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Agreed in principle Tony but if the charger is damaged and not giving full charge to batteries they then " suffer " and premiture failure occurs. Yes even a small 8 amp charger will eventually charge batteries but people often neglect to even check batteries 😥 simple fluid levels check are seldom made ....all add to shorten life

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check again Lenny.
Your first sentence says you had GEL which weren't honoured on warranty.
I'm sure you mean AGM.
Yes he most definitely did! :giggle:

We know just how much 'love' Lenny has for AGMs don't we ... about the same as his love for UK built MHs! :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have had 6-8 years out of my last AGM's. going Lithium next time.
You were lucky punk. :rofl:
I bet they weren't standard dual purpose batteries (starter batteries with a leisure label) that are fitted to Motorhomes as standard.

Metamorfosis

Free Member
Oct 13, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 680g
Yuasa is a well regarded brand and Halfords rebrand them as their own make and it appears identical spec to the Varta 95ah AGM found as standard fit in many late motorhomes.
I have a Halfords trade card and you can buy these for £116 each.
Cracking price if you know someone with a card.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
When I got my Hymer the first mod was to replace the Varta AGM with a Super-B Epsilon. Exact same fitting, done in 30 minutes including setting the booster to Lithium and the EBL to Gel since it was that or AGM. The Epsilon is perhaps the only Lithium out there seriously engineered as a lead replacement.

It is « only » 90Ah and last Monday when we took off around noon after stopping the day before around 6PM, it was down to 78%. The booster charged it at 57 amps until it reached 97% and then it slowed down gradually. It was back to 100% in less then 25 minutes.

Pretty expensive battery, but considering that such charging speed from the alternator makes solar totally redundant for us, not a bad deal all in all given the convenience. And total weight is 12.5 kgs.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Agreed in principle Tony but if the charger is damaged and not giving full charge to batteries they then " suffer " and premiture failure occurs. Yes even a small 8 amp charger will eventually charge batteries but people often neglect to even check batteries 😥 simple fluid levels check are seldom made ....all add to shorten life

How many AGM equipped vans are running around with a faulty charger?

If the chargers fecked, it’s fecked and it’ll feck any batteries connected to it!

Ian

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
When I got my Hymer the first mod was to replace the Varta AGM with a Super-B Epsilon. Exact same fitting, done in 30 minutes including setting the booster to Lithium and the EBL to Gel since it was that or AGM. The Epsilon is perhaps the only Lithium out there seriously engineered as a lead replacement.

It is « only » 90Ah and last Monday when we took off around noon after stopping the day before around 6PM, it was down to 78%. The booster charged it at 57 amps until it reached 97% and then it slowed down gradually. It was back to 100% in less then 25 minutes.

Pretty expensive battery, but considering that such charging speed from the alternator makes solar totally redundant for us, not a bad deal all in all given the convenience. And total weight is 12.5 kgs.
When you say ‘booster’ are you talking about a B2B or something else?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have had AGMs for four and a half years in our Hymer and they seem to be holding their charge well enough for us to rarely use hook up. Our EBL does not have an AGM setting but our solar controller does, so I think that helps. I suspect I will be changing them in the next year or two and when I do it will be a toss up between Gels and Lithiums. They are in an awkward place so I want ones that do not need any level checks or top ups.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
This is very complicated question, that has many conditions.
The simple answer is understand your usage, both what you take out of it and what you put back into it.
Because unless these are met the battery will not last.

Flooded and AGM are very similar in both are know as lead acid batteries,
the main difference is Absorbed glass matt (AGM) does not require topping up with electrolyte,
(maintenance free)
A deep cycle AGM is different to Car AGM, I see so many vans fitted with high AmpHr Car AGM,s
They are cheaper They are not deep cycle.
A duel purpose AGM is available for those that have to start and leisure with it.
As I say the charging is different for the two, and must be designed for the battery fitted.
Gel battery,s Charges slower and discharges slower, But its main advantage and design was for "Mount any angle and High vibration resistance . AGM batts out sell Gel by 100 to 1 and they are expensive.

So
Flooded... charging systems inexpensive, requires maintenance, good price.
AGM.. (Deep cycle) more sophisticated charging system required, No maintenance,
Gel.. More sophisticated charging system required, mount at any angle, maintenance free, expensive.

Hope this helps
Andy

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
LFD90's (mine are in an outside locker)...
Wet.. but (not wet ) ... Read the blurb..
No issues installed Jan 17

Off grid mostly 😎👍

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
When you say ‘booster’ are you talking about a B2B or something else?

The Schaudt B2B fitted standard on the Hymer, I believe all models now.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Platinum 110amp from Tayna.
Tayna give amazing service.
Got 2 on my 5th wheel and we wild camp all the way from Calais to southern Spain for winter.
Also got one on our little Romahome for time off during the season. We do nothing but wild camp. Never use hook-up.
Cracking batteries and supposedly a "true" class A leisure battery as opposed to one of the many badged up lies.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
You guys just wasting money. If you really need to buy Pb, then go for real traction batteries that have real deep cycle capabilities compared to SLI batteries rebranded. There are only a handful of manufacturers in the hole world of Pb batteries. The rest are re branded, cheaply mass produced. Even big names subcontract lots of them to the big boys. Look what people off grid use and wonder why they don’t buy the likes used by Leisure Motorhome industry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back