What adhesive to use to bond ply to rear garage wall? (1 Viewer)

Sharms1966

Free Member
Apr 9, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
I need some advice please!

I am looking to fix some ply to the inside rear garage wall so that I can mount some fixings for securing fairly light items. I understand that I will need to bond the ply to the rear wall, but could use some advice on the best adhesive to use. I see that a lot of people use sikaflex, but don't mention which number (there appears to be several types, is it the 522 type). I have also found people recommending 'Sticks like Shi*' and 'no nails', can anyone advise the most suitable?

Secondly, does anyone have any good tips for holding the ply in place while the adhesive sets, best / easiest I can come up with is to buy some wood and cut to a length so that I can brace it against the other side of the garage?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated, many thanks, David

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You say securing fairly light items so is the existing garage wall not strong enough? as far as what to use to stick it on I would think subject to a reasonable surface area virtually any grab adhesive would do the job but it won't be coming off again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sharms1966

Sharms1966

Free Member
Apr 9, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
Thanks for the replies, I donā€™t really want to make any holes on an outside wall on a new van, would prefer to fix to plywood if possible. Thank you!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for the replies, I donā€™t really want to make any holes on an outside wall on a new van, would prefer to fix to plywood if possible. Thank you!
"Outside wall" you are fixing on the inside of a double skin wall I guess? sticking Plywood on will not come off again so what is the problem with screw holes?

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
"Outside wall" you are fixing on the inside of a double skin wall I guess? sticking Plywood on will not come off again so what is the problem with screw holes?
My thought too, if you ever want to get the ply off it will create more damage than a few screw holes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It would have to be fairly thick plywood if you want to screw into it otherwise the screws will penetrate the rear wall anyway. You could bond some timber batons where you need to fix something using Sika 512 or any bonding adhesive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sharms1966

Sharms1966

Free Member
Apr 9, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
My understanding was that the rear wall would probably be a very thin ply over an insulation material and that it would not provide a secure fixing? I am thinking that a table and chairs will be secured against this wall.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
My understanding was that the rear wall would probably be a very thin ply over an insulation material and that it would not provide a secure fixing? I am thinking that a table and chairs will be secured against this wall.
Depends on the construction of the van but it will either be aluminium or a ply type material as you say, if the table and chairs are on the floor and the fixing is just to stop them moving I would say that you would be OK just screwing to the wall, in this current van and our last one the inside wall was aluminium and would hold quite a load without pulling out, I have no experience with ply type walls.

I should have added that the ply will be bonded to the foam insulation, well again depending on construction but I would think a Dethleffs will be (y)

Upvote 0

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Do you have the sliding fixed strip(soz donā€™t know the proper name) that has movable eyelets to tie down items, our Dethleffs did. we used, and still do, bungee cords to hold chairs and tables against back wall using the eyelets. These are very light weight aluminium, and hubby wraps bungee cords through legs etc. Theyā€™re very secure.

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Personally I wouldnā€™t want to hang anything on the rear wall, stand stuff then strap back to wall if poss. Hanging always runs the risk of disfigurement and warping!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sharms1966

Sharms1966

Free Member
Apr 9, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
Do you have the sliding fixed strip(soz donā€™t know the proper name) that has movable eyelets to tie down items, our Dethleffs did. we used, and still do, bungee cords to hold chairs and tables against back wall using the eyelets. These are very light weight aluminium, and hubby wraps bungee cords through legs etc. Theyā€™re very secure.
Hi Caggsie, I do, but I really wanted to put the table and chairs on the ledge above the floor to give me more room for the bikes, so that would need some fixings above the eyelets that Deffleff provide, thanks!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Can you not use some Unistrut like I have done here screwed to the underside of the bedroom area ply decking?
Dagger in the Sunlight..jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sharms1966

Sharms1966

Free Member
Apr 9, 2021
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A Class
Exp
That had crossed my mind, is the rail just fixed to the underside of the bed with screws?
Can I ask what rail that is and the hooks?

Many thanks!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Hi, I used " pronged" 8mm nuts. I located them under the beds so as they didn't show. They and the unistrut working together also reinforce the whole width of that area then as well. IF you're feeling flush you can order the light weight ally strut, [which is aesthetically more pleasing on the eye] and looks like you probably have in the garage area already, but +++Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£.
Mike.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Alternative solution which I've adopted:

Vertical 40x40mm wooden battens placed against rear garage wall. Secured top & bottom via angle brackets to floor and underside of bed. Spaced to accept width of chairs, table etc. These items are held in place using bungee cord attached to a metal eye screwed into wooden batten either side.

Works well for me. Could be easily removed (ie. when selling on) with just a few screw holes remaining in floor and ceiling which could be easily sealed.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
i actually used double sided tape to bond to my garage walls , the Table/bikes/accessories were all sitting on the floor so the bond was only to keep them upright so not to much load , I tended to use plastic facia boards & then screw to that , the bonus was it could be carefully eased of leaving no damage , which was a good thing as I had to reject the last MH due to faults

Upvote 0
Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
It's pointless trying to 'stick' anything to the walls. All you are effictively doing is sticking to the vinyl covering. It's almost like sticking something to your wallpaper at home.
As others have said, screwing directly to the wall will be more than adequate for acting as a restraint. Hanging stuff off the wall is a bad idea.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
If you've got sandwich wall construction, I've has success with these plasterboard fixings, drilling a small pilot hole and using Gorilla Glue as well. Don't forget to dampen the fittings first for the glue.

Driva_Zoom.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Or you could possibly use Euro screws. My van uses these to attach the sliding side rails to the draws. Don't know how well they would perform on an external wall ???

<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back