What about this one? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have read most of this thread but might have missed a couple of things, but what I have seen is I don't think you are really fixed in what you want, veering from new, to some overpriced van without water and toilets that someone has thrown together.
Ok at the moment you might manage without these things, but with failing health and old age creeping on ( it happens to us all) and living in it full time could you manage.
How I see it from here, you have just got to have a new or very nearly new with a hell of a good warranty, I know it will be costly, but most of your investment would come back at sale whereas some of the others you are looking at will scrap price.
Hard I know, but if you are only useing it for a few holidays skiing wouldn't a package tour work out best.
Sorry if this sounds hard but only trying to help.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have read most of this thread but might have missed a couple of things, but what I have seen is I don't think you are really fixed in what you want, veering from new, to some overpriced van without water and toilets that someone has thrown together.
Ok at the moment you might manage without these things, but with failing health and old age creeping on ( it happens to us all) and living in it full time could you manage.
How I see it from here, you have just got to have a new or very nearly new with a hell of a good warranty, I know it will be costly, but most of your investment would come back at sale whereas some of the others you are looking at will scrap price.
Hard I know, but if you are only useing it for a few holidays skiing wouldn't a package tour work out best.
Sorry if this sounds hard but only trying to help.
I tend to agree the thing that really sounded odd to me was thew idea of going ski-ing in a pvc with a non skier. I think most ski resorts would be a challenge for a week with no skiing even in an nice hotel. The idea of being stuck in a small area with little to do probably not in the warm with a load of damp ski stuff in the evenings does not fill me with enthusiasm. Also it seems odd to take DIY converters word that they have insulated a van well at face value I bet a lot have never tried staying at -15 overnight!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I tend to agree the thing that really sounded odd to me was thew idea of going ski-ing in a pvc with a non skier. I think most ski resorts would be a challenge for a week with no skiing even in an nice hotel. The idea of being stuck in a small area with little to do probably not in the warm with a load of damp ski stuff in the evenings does not fill me with enthusiasm. Also it seems odd to take DIY converters word that they have insulated a van well at face value I bet a lot have never tried staying at -15 overnight!

I thought this strange too, especially as you asked for recommendations for sites which had cabin/chalet accommodation as well so you're husband could spend time in a chalet when you went skiing. You'd then incur the cost of the pitch plus the rental of a chalet.

Why not just rent a chalet to go skiing? At least then you wouldn't need to have a fully winterised vehicle.

I'd never trust a DIY merchant if I needed top quality insulation.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
It might be worth joining the Wildax Enthusiasts FB Group as there are a couple of people selling on there, later in the year though, but it might be worth checking it out.

There was a post yesterday asking if anybody is selling.
Haha that was me.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I thought this strange too, especially as you asked for recommendations for sites which had cabin/chalet accommodation as well so you're husband could spend time in a chalet when you went skiing. You'd then incur the cost of the pitch plus the rental of a chalet.

Why not just rent a chalet to go skiing? At least then you wouldn't need to have a fully winterised vehicle.

I'd never trust a DIY merchant if I needed top quality insulation.
NO we were looking at airbnbs . Very different cost from a chalet

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We want a van we can easily tour about in and drive the grandchildren around in as a second car or main vehicle if our Fiat Fiesta snuffs it. We toured a lot in eastern Europe in cold temps last year and intend to again. Nothing to do with skiing but we were at minus 12 in Poland last November. We want to have the ease of a small vehicle for when things get rough for Martin to be very versatile. We are rough campers and not afraid of living without the luxury of a Hymer. I want to ski often. This will be my respite as a carer in the future. Package ski holidays are expensive. Driving to a resort and hooking up near the slopes are not. My favourite slopes are the ones that are not famous and not on the tourist circuit that only the locals know with lift passes cheap as chips. Transport is essential to reach these places. Not a package. Selling our big house to move to a small house in Norwich so we could buy a van was massively motivated by the lure of skiing much more than say three packages a year. 50% skiing 50% both of us getting away on the road.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think you need to find out what Adria’s THERMO BUILD means and what lower temperatures it’s built for.
It is a narrow rear bed if washroom is long side in other corner. Depends how comfy you want to be, but wouldn’t suit us.
I am with others in advising you go for a recognised brand rather than self build.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
and this one?
Anyone rate an Adria Twin 600SF 2013 60,600 miles.£30,000?

Of the ones you have shortlisted about this one is the best make by far, decent resale value although its been a hire van so needs careful checking.
You could negotiate refillable gas, extra battery, solar or you could make a low offer. It should have decent winterised value too which is what you want.
At least you are now looking at proper conversions.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Quote from their Adria website doesn’t help much

Adria Twins can be used all year round and offer the most comprehensive choice of heating systems available, which, when combined with our unique Thermo-build standards of insulation and air-flow management, mean that our Twins now offer even more comfort.

HEATING.
Adria Twins offer a choice of heating system. Choose the popular Truma heating system which blows warm air, or on selected models choose fully integrated Alde heating. Or choose Webasto diesel heating, mounted underfloor for space saving and hot air heating efficiency.

Selected models also offer in addition the Webasto diesel heating system, located underfloor and providing a space saving and efficient means of using hot air to warm your Twin, without the need for gas.

In addition, our optional electrical floor heating system ensures 90% of the floorplan is covered by the heating foil, more than any other brand.

See our website for technical details by model.

INSULATION.
All Adria vans are built to our unique ‘Thermo-build’ standards and are cold-chamber tested. This optimizes the use of advanced insulation materials, heating design and airflow management, so you can count on no “cold spots” and a pleasant, controllable environment.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
AC11EC1B-8CEB-445F-B0C2-D0ED9ABF0533.jpeg One on auto trader

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
NO we were looking at airbnbs . Very different cost from a chalet

Now I'm totally confused... you asked for site with cabins and I replied at the time saying La Bresse had a brilliant site with cabins and chalets. You didn't mention airbnbs.

Partner moans about being left while i ski and now we're downsizing he'll moan even more in a smaller van.
It occured to me i could go to a site with warm cabins like champ-du-moulin and rent one where he can hang out with the dog . Does anyone know of any others? Close to ski lifts, links of course.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I can tell you now I have a Frankia double floored fully winterised van with alde central heating and even in Scotland when the heating is off in the winter the van is freezing. And it's designed for all year round use.
Whatever van you look at will be exactly the same.
I would not base the majority of my wants on a van fit for skiing. I'd base it on all round comfort and practicality.
I honestly think you need to spend a good bit of time thinking what you really want and what you can live with and what you can afford.
If this is intended to be your forever van you want to get it right

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I’d use the saving and put it towards a diesel heater and a bigger fuel tank,
EHU is more expensive and lower output abroad:)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I can tell you now I have a Frankia double floored fully winterised van with alde central heating and even in Scotland when the heating is off in the winter the van is freezing. And it's designed for all year round use.
I would not base the majority of my wants on a van fit for skiing. I'd base it on all round comfort and practicality.
I honestly think you need to spend a good bit of time thinking what you really want and what you can live with and what you can afford.

Strange that, friends of ours had Burstner tag with Alde Heating, it was that warm we had to stand outside to keep our beers cold :)
Ours is Truma blown air. Too hot on full chat, but drinks less gas than the wife does Gin........

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Lol, anything without the heating on is bleeding freezing, even our house.
You have heating on..........in the house.
What’s up with another jumper.....

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
You have heating on..........in the house.
What’s up with another jumper.....

Another jumper first but this is the house, over 1100 feet above sea level high up on the moors, bleak and desolate is an understatement, the sign outside reads Bakkabeyond and how right they were:LOL:
garden 2017 (4).jpg

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
In 0rder to get a brand new Possl id have to drive to Germany ....
Don't be put off by this Jac. We flew to Germany to get our van, the dealer picked us up at the airport, we had the cheapest flights we could find and just took hand luggage. Although we spent one night in a hotel, because our payment didn't clear in time, we still saved massive amounts by buying in Germany.

We then had a nice drive back through Germany and France enjoying our new van.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Strange that, friends of ours had Burstner tag with Alde Heating, it was that warm we had to stand outside to keep our beers cold :)
Ours is Truma blown air. Too hot on full chat, but drinks less gas than the wife does Gin........
Yes it's warm with the heating on

But turn it off it's just as cold as the rest lol

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Lol, anything without the heating on is bleeding freezing, even our house.
Exactly ...that was my point
So regardless of whether the pvc the op is looking at is fully winterised or not you still need to keep heating on to keep it warm
Switch it off and within an hour or so it's freezing again. Let's face it the walks are 35mm thick

If a house with a foot of insulation round the walls and roof gets cold in winter it's obvious a metal box on wheels will

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I think you need to find out what Adria’s THERMO BUILD means and what lower temperatures it’s built for.
It is a narrow rear bed if washroom is long side in other corner. Depends how comfy you want to be, but wouldn’t suit us.
I am with others in advising you go for a recognised brand rather than self build.
Isnt Adria a recognised brand?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Now I'm totally confused... you asked for site with cabins and I replied at the time saying La Bresse had a brilliant site with cabins and chalets. You didn't mention airbnbs.
Yes i had actually forgotten about airbnbs which are around the same price as a camping cabin. But your info is useful for when i ski with friends. Thanks

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We know size and flexibility is the priority and have rented a panel.conversion van for 3 days to try it out so we have done our home work. I think we'll be doing a lot of little and often in it rather than 6.months like before but i hope we'll do at least 3 months again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back