Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
FRIDAY> We planned to have the whole family at Wrenbury and have a few beers send off for our Son was due to report to Catterick on Sunday afternoon for training with the Para' reg't. A carer for Sian's mum couldn't get here till Saturday so that put paid to that.

SATURDAY> Me Sian and James decided we would would travel to Wrenbury, leaving two girls here to look after Sians Mum. Few beers Saturday, then drop young James off at Crewe station early Sunday. Loaded up the motorhome. Got one mile down the road, went to change down and the gear lever was stuck in 5th, wouldn't budge. Walked back home got the Lanny and towed it home while Sian stood on the clutch. AA Arrived, popped the end off the gear box, bits broken, going nowhere.

hymerbreakdownAAGearbox.png hymerbreakdownAA.png

SUNDAY> Me and Sian took James to Catterick 13 hours round trip in her car, talk about numb bum.

MONDAY> It's weird, I'm in a sort of mourning state, had James with me most days for the last 20 years, that I'm now only going to see him for a few weeks a year makes me soo sad and I'm moping about miserable as sin.

jj_zps8f36abd0.jpg

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
They say things happen in threes (more like 13s with me) so at least you have had 3 at once and here's hoping thats it for the moment for you.

Sending you a big hug and a big smile

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Tough one Jim. Just when you most needed the van to get out and about to take your mind off stuff too.

Can't really say much to help, sorry! However by the look on his face, can't help thinking he's going to be having the time of his life!

Steve :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Coor blimey Jim, you and yours have had a lot to deal with lately, no wonder you feel a bit out of sorts.

One thing though you can be very proud of your family, in particular your son who is just starting to make his way in the world.

Hope you get the van fixed soon.

Sandra and Colin

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Sorry about your troubles Jim.

Yes it does feel odd when they leave, takes a while to get used to. I remember walking into tesco, put some of my daughters favourite food in the trolley, realised they were not at home to eat it and I sobbed all the way round the frozen food section!

Letting go....hardest part of being a parent.

Good luck to your son, no doubt you and sian will burst with pride at his passing out. xx

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Know the feeling ours all left within a few months of each other it was weird for a while

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Sorry to hear about the van folks hope it gets sorted soon.
Our boy gets married next month and into their own home so mother hen here is panicking already .

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Not much comfort but you have worked for 20 years to see the day when a fine young man leaves home.

A sad day but also one that should make you feel proud. Don't worry though as they keep coming back!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I feel for you and Sian but you must be so proud, he will always want to come home if you brought him up well which I am sure you have. I know it's not the same as having him around all the time but enjoy every moment of his visits.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Oh Jim, so sorry to hear about your van.
We were thinking of you as you told us at Stafford about James going big hugs to you and Sain xxx

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Shakespeare wrote something like : " When troubles come they come not single spy, but in great battalions"

How true that is.

I am sure you will miss young James, but I bet your pride soon makes up for it.

Good luck to him.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
couldn't get mine out the door quick enough:)

sorry to here about the van though:(

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Jim & Sian.

MT Nest syndrome is a difficult one to deal with. It's one of those great milestones and challenges that parents face. For the kids though, it's invariably no big deal! It must be comforting to know that your son is not simply leaving home to bum around, he is embarking on service to our country. Not just you, but all of us are rightly proud of him, but I'm sure we share too your apprehension. If his parents are anything to go by, he will do well; make his way in the world and be successful.

In this age of technology, it's easy to stay in touch, so I doubt if you will be without news of his progress. However, it will seem strange at first not to have him around physically. Kids tend to be like boomerangs though!

It's a new chapter in your family's life and yet just another curved ball that life throws at us. We manage though, don't we?

There's a pause now between this era and the next, when chocolate and coke gets ground into your carpet when grandchildren are dumped on you. Enjoy the peace whilst you can!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the 'van...... I know a bit about life, but bugger all about gearboxes!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
what you loose in companionship you will gain in Pride (y) good luck young James.

just think how you will be feeling watching him on his passing out parade, you will be " BURSTING"!:coolest:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
The first track on the attached link may sound familiar Jim. Good luck to James on his adventures. He will love it and you will be so proud!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
James is embarking on a new life, just as his Dad did quite a few years ago. Think of the fun you had Jim, then conjure up a wry smile because James is probably doing something similar. (y)

PS Don't tell his Mum;)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Do you reckon we could build one good motorhome which will make it to Wrenbury by combining Bill's and Jim's?:)

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
FRIDAY> We planned to have the whole family at Wrenbury and have a few beers send off for our Son was due to report to Catterick on Sunday afternoon for training with the Para' reg't. A carer for Sian's mum couldn't get here till Saturday so that put paid to that.

SATURDAY> Me Sian and James decided we would would travel to Wrenbury, leaving two girls here to look after Sians Mum. Few beers Saturday, then drop young James off at Crewe station early Sunday. Loaded up the motorhome. Got one mile down the road, went to change down and the gear lever was stuck in 5th, wouldn't budge. Walked back home got the Lanny and towed it home while Sian stood on the clutch. AA Arrived, popped the end off the gear box, bits broken, going nowhere.

View attachment 37699 View attachment 37700

SUNDAY> Me and Sian took James to Catterick 13 hours round trip in her car, talk about numb bum.

MONDAY> It's weird, I'm in a sort of mourning state, had James with me most days for the last 20 years, that I'm now only going to see him for a few weeks a year makes me soo sad and I'm moping about miserable as sin.

jj_zps8f36abd0.jpg
Hi Jim,

Totally understand your feelings. My son Andrew went off to Uni to study music and it broke my heart to let him go. Same as you, he was 'my right hand man' and was/is such an integral part of my life.
From a little boy who was so very shy but who has blossomed into a fine young man. I must mention son number two - Nicholas, totally different in many ways but equally special in my heart.

As a Dad I am so proud of them both - both were made Captains of their school football teams and were both selected to represent their districts. Andrew was 'spotted' and trained with Millwall for awhile and Nick was signed to Crystal Palace.

Nowadays it's music that's taken over their lives (not professionally) and family get together s are like the old days - all gathered 'round with guitars and piano being played and people - ----- smiling :)

Rob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My eldest son went off alone to the US seven years ago, he has a blessed life in America but he still skypes his old dad most days just for a chat. Skype makes distance much less but it doesn't take the place of a good hug when you get together.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
jj_zps8f36abd0.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Thought this might cheer you up -

Rob

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sorry to hear about your weekend woes Jim & Sian.

I'll bet you were thinking of young James even more, when watching Cpl 'Froggy' Chauffour beast his recruits last night. ;)

Not wishing to add insult to injury to insult, but we hope you've got a few hundred quid set by for a rainy (gearbox) day. Although the job takes just over an hour to do for the experienced mechanic, the two part gearset (5th gear and synchro hub) will set you back around £650 from Fiat. :cry::cry::cry: (we know, cos it hurt us too a few months ago).

Glad that James has started his new chosen career step (taking after Pops). (y) We both wish him all the very best.

Good luck with the gearbox repairs. (y)

Regards,

Jock & Rita.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Jim
I can come over and mope about and tell you to F-off for a few days if it'll help and bummer about gearbox I'm guessing you didn't get the advice on letting the gearbox warm up for a bit before using 5th. Would it be possible for you let the rest of us know what the Garage or AA think caused the failure.

Reactions: Jim

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
If you didn't have bad luck lately Jim you'd have none at all.

Still on the bright side you have Sian, Katie, and a son
who is doing what he wants to do.
Motorhome wise good luck with the repairs
in W Wales someone will be able to lend you
a Donkey and if you start now we could still
see you at Malvern,
Good Luck
Roger & Sheila.:rofl:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes. I've stopped moping, :blush: I'm told that the gearbox will not be too difficult or expensive to fix. And yes I'm very happy that James is doing what he's always wanted to do. Maybe I was just being selfish, I'm sure James won't miss the daily

Collect the eggs James
Wash the motorhome James
Unload the trailer James
The grass is getting long James
Put the kettle on James
Load the trailer James
So on and so forth

Basic training will be a rest:D

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Damn, looks expencive, still one less mouth to feed, hee hee.
I hope you manage to get it sorted soon.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for your thoughts and good wishes. I've stopped moping, :blush: I'm told that the gearbox will not be too difficult or expensive to fix. And yes I'm very happy that James is doing what he's always wanted to do. Maybe I was just being selfish, I'm sure James won't miss the daily

Collect the eggs James
Wash the motorhome James
Unload the trailer James
Put the kettle on James
Load the trailer James
So on and so forth

Basic training will be a rest:D

Sounds like basic training and the whole of his career in the Para's will be a rest after that lot - Anthony from the Royle Family comes to mind! Just joking Jim, glad you've cheered up, and that the gearbox isn't as bad as first thought. Hope to see you at Malvern in the sunshine, sipping something cold and looking forward to cooking a zillion bacon butties on the Sunday! (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We tend to forget when we first left home, I was 16 when I went out the front door with my case, said by to the the family and got a train to the london docks where I joined my first ship for a long trip around the antipodes. It didn't really cross my mind that Mum would be worrying her socks off . No skype or mobile phones then, just the odd letter that might find it's destination.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
(Quote).. I'm sure James won't miss the daily

Collect the eggs James
Wash the motorhome James
Unload the trailer James
Put the kettle on James
Load the trailer James
So on and so forth

You wont know if your **** is bored or punched with all that added work load you will have to do... :(:D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You will have to let me know the secret Jim ! My lot will not go away !!!
Son ( Nemo/Darrell ) moved about 1/2 a mile away once but then bought the house next door to us !
Number one daughter bought a house three doors away ( but has now moved a long way away.. wellll.. 2 miles anyway ) and number two daughter lives about 100 yards away and spends more time here than there ( 5 days a week at the very least !! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back