Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
Hi all,

I recently obtained a Renault Trafic Autosleeper Pop-Top to do up as a first time user. I decided to look at the electrics today. What I found was disturbing and not what I expected.

Hook-Up:
This is a blue socket mounted at the rear of the van beside the towbar. The cable runs up the nearside corner to a 13amp socket. That is it. No protection or distribution unit fitted.

Vehicle Battery:
Is mounted under the bonnet as you would expect. Not bolted down properly, with the usual cables attached. There is another cable not connected with a label stating this point. This one appears to go to a connector then onto a relay. On testing, this Battery seems to be charging ok and shows 12.3volts at rest/no engine running. It shows 14.2volts with the engine running.

Leisure Battery:
On testing only shows 8.9volts with no change when the engine is running. There are cables running from the Battery to a twinned switch which supplies 12volts to a Cooler/Blower type Fridge. The Fridge does not operate on either Gas or 240volts. The twinned switch indicates that the Fridge will operate from either the Vehicle Battery or the Leisure Battery, which ever one you choose. There are two Campervan lights and water pump which work off the same supply as the Fridge. There are cables not connected in this location. Could they be the link between the Vehicle Battery circuits and the Leisure Battery.

There seems to be no charging of the Leisure Battery taking place. It seems to me that I need help in sorting this lot out and need to fit some protection and charging units to the vehicle.

What say you! :Blush:

BrianG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if it is an Auto sleeper then the leccy bits would be done safely/PROPERLY for the time PROVIDED no one has messed about changing things.The single socket will relies on the trip at the plug in point.Battery charging will be ia a relay / possible twin relay ie one for leisure battery and the other for the fridge.This only works while engine is running.Chances are a blown fuse near to relay ?
You will need someone to show you the right positions for the switches to work the fridge - 12c on 240v off and vice versa. Try a friend or local caravan spares shop for advise, being shown is a lot better than trying to understand this lot :ROFLMAO:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Why not come and join us at the Shepton Mallet show there will be people there who can advise you on site. Plus many dealers with new batteries etc. At 8V the leisure battery is dead you will almost certainly have to replace it.

OP
OP
Nexus

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
I would love to attend the Shepton Mallet Show but until I have had the chassis part serviced properly and sorted out some of the electrics I would feel safer waiting. I have no service history for the vehicle and the inside needs tidying up a bit to make it habitable.

This is only the start of the adventure. ::bigsmile:

BrianG

OP
OP
Nexus

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
Yesterday I removed the 'leisure' battery in order to service it. The voltage at rest was 8.9v so it was put on charge to see if it will recover. After putting the numbers printed on it into the 'net I found out that it is in fact a starter battery for a Rover 75 car. A 75ah car battery does not seem to be ideal as a leisure battery.

Any further thoughts from you experts?

BrianG

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Brian you can buy a 85 / 110 amp hr L/ battery for around £50 which is cheaper than a starter one.They are made differently ( l/b thicker plates) but basically do the same job.Since you have to buy one get the correct one for the job or you will kill it quicker than expected ::bigsmile:A normal starter battery may well suffice for a year or two where the L/B may last 4 or 5
terry

OP
OP
Nexus

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
Terry,

Thanks for that, I will have to start looking at a different battery mostly because I cannot see this one going the distance. 110AH looks like the way to go.

BrianG

OP
OP
Nexus

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
I have come to the conclusion that the Leisure Battery has had it and needs to be replaced as it did not recover from its low charge.

I had a tyre inspection carried out and now have new rubber on the front, at least I will be in safe contact with the road.

The 'van was put in for a service, I do not think it has had one for some time. They came back to me with a list of problems found. I think I will be paying off the National Debt.

Front Drive Shaft Gaiter insecure.
Front Steering Rack Gaiter insecure.
Vehicle Battery insecure.
Air Filter Housing insecure.
Radiator held on only buy Cable Ties.
Slight oil leak from engine. Needs to be located.
Brake Hydraulic Oil needs replacing.

All the above seems reasonable considering the lack of history.

Now the serious problems.

Nearside Rear Wheel Bearing seized in Brake drum.
Offside Rear Wheel Bearing very noisy. The thread on the Stub Axle has been overtightened at some time and is damaged. The garage suggested that it would be safer to replace the Stub Axle.

All this in addition to the service.

The saga goes on!

BrianG

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I know how you feel, Brian.

I've just paid the national debt off for mine. Bought it a few weeks back and then it spent a week in the garage, cost me nearly as much as I'd paid for it - but at the price I paid I was expecting it!
It's had a full service, plus two new tyres, cam belt, head gasket, cam shaft, HT lead, rotor arm, distributor cap, brake shoes, OSR brake cylinder, and other little bits to go with them.

So now I have a virtually new van. :ROFLMAO:
When I can run to it, the bodywork needs some tidying up, but afraid that will have to wait.

OP
OP
Nexus

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
Caztur,

I am sorry to hear of your problems but like me you are probably determined to get it right and enjoy the great outdoors with all the others. Even if it costs a bit to do it.

My bodywork (not my personal) will need to be looked at some time in the future. The electrics will be the next big thing when the 'van comes back.

BrianG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back