What A Fun Weekend We Have Had :-( (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Went to the local CFL site for the weekend to give it a good going over and take some pics.. ( More on this on another thread.. though really pleased with it ! )

2 miles from home a lorry comes across a double white line and clouts the mirror.. Smashed to bits.. ( new one ordered at £127 :-( )
Checked on the DVR when we stopped and other than it being a tipper type truck in blue absolutely no markings on the thing at all.. Number plate completely obscured and no names on it

Get to the site.. press the sat button.. Up she goes and .. goes... and goes................

No sat found.
Mo reported we had a BIG lightning strike quite close by last week, so I know what caused it..
Kept fingers crossed it was the LNB..
Changed it.. Nope
Just maybe it is a cable fault.. Nope
It is the controller gone phut.. So that is off to Oyster for repair tomorrow.. gawd knows how much that will cost.. anything up to £630 for a replacement :-(

Then the absolute worst thing..
It was the first time Dillon had been allowed to run free ( sort of ) as the site is BIG, very flat, well manicured and he could not go in harms way
I was throwing a ball for him.. He was running around without a care in the world really enjoying him self
Then he could not see the ball.. Mucking around I jumped on a mates mobility scooter and went off to collect the thing.. Dillon was running around it so I slowed right down, terrified I was gonna hit him.
Picked up the ball and as soon as I started moving he started running round me again.
So I stopped and picked him up.. He sat quite happily between my legs on the platform
Just got up to speed and he decided to get off !!!!!!!
Well he only half made it and one of his back legs was run over ....

He screamed.. and I could have died there and then thinking the worst

He was in a very poorly way and the following morning I borrowed a car and took him to a vets.
Fortunately it seems nothing was broken but she was a little concerned it MIGHT be cracked..

After some discussion a support bandage was put on.. £70 + vat that bandage was

He spent the rest of the day staring daggers at me and would not come near me !!

Fortunately this morning all is pretty good again and although he is favouring it ( due in main to half a ton of bright red bandage !! ) he is not in any pain and spent the morning trying to remove said bandage..
The vet suggested it stay on until Monday but to be on the safe side ( having taken advice elsewhere ) it will be coming off Wednesday..

To say I was distraught is an understatement.. The whole thing kept going over and over in my head.. How stupid I had been and how terrible it MIGHT have been.. Never slept a wink on Friday night..
He seems to have forgiven me now but I do not think I will ever be able to forgive my self..........

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just a normal day in the life of "Jaws".. then.. :giggler:

Glad no one was hurt in this episode.. (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Glad he hasn't suffered any long term damage. Mistakes happen and dogs jump so fast.
Sorry to read of your other mishaps too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to read about that; not a great weekend. Hope that Dillon has no lasting damage(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
John, he will still love no matter what you have done. The worst bit is you trying to forget about it. Don't fancy that sat dish repair...................

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Oh John your luck has been missing lately :(

As far as your doggy mishap goes, I feel for you. Our little princess had an emergency trip to the vet in Portugal after we saw you last and I felt so guilty although it was an accident and we DO have the most accident prone dog ever I think.

Glad he's on the mend x

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So difficult John, but thank goodness the dogs ok. These things always roll over in your mind thinking what could have been.
He's ok so forget it .

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Sorry to hear of your mishaps, but on a similar note.

Sometimes when driving in the Countryside I see farmers or suchlike on a small ATV or 4x4 with a dog standing on it's luggage rack, the ATV is on a main road and travelling at a fair lick. It burns me up wondering if the dog is going to jump off or be fling off if the farmer has to make an emergency stop !!!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Just think John.....
The money you helped to raise for the Air Ambulance probably helped to to save someone's life this weekend. Sort of re-balances things and puts them in perspective eh?

You'll probably find that the sat system only costs a few bob to fix, the mirror ain't your fault anyway and the dog will apologise! Conscience clear. :D:D:D

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I take it you didn't win the lottery either then John :ROFLMAO:

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Talk about bad luck :(. I sincerely hope you've had yours for the year and the rest is just plain sailing :) Good luck with sorting the sat out and I'm sure your dog will be by your side, faithfully, forever (y)

Thanks Antony

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Glad Dillon is okay.... luckily he was more frightened than anything and it may make him more cautious in the future. I know you will never forgive yourself but there has been no serious injury so lighten up on yourself.

All the rest can be repaired - at a cost :(

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Talk about bad luck :(. I sincerely hope you've had yours for the year and the rest is just plain sailing :) Good luck with sorting the sat out and I'm sure your dog will be by your side, faithfully, forever (y)

Thanks Antony

mate.. have a look at a thread from me about our return trip from Spain in March.

trailer scraped and a new gearbox needed.. People on the camp punched a hole in the awning, etc etc etc..
This is REALLY not my year !!!

Dillon seems to have forgiven me and to be fair Woman is actually commiserating with me ( she could see how upset I was )

New mirror assembly on order so just got to ring Oyster now and see what they say

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Your luck is as bad as Bill The Drill's (aka Happy Brewer).
To paraphrase the late BB King "If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all "

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Sounds like a cheap weekend away, hope the dog makes a speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update.. And most of it is good news (y)

Dillon's foot still hurts him a bit once in a while but As he is now trying to remove the support bandage and does not whimper while he is pulling it about I think we can presume all is well and on the mend :)

The Sat system I have sorted out..
Two faults on it as it turned out.. One was the fixing bolts holding one of the micro-switches in place had come loose.. While it ( oddly ) still initialised and registered as being up or down, for some weird reason it got lost and was unsure of when it was at full tilt..
Sorted that out, reset everything and greased the worm drives whilst I had it apart..
Then called Oyster who were their normal amazingly helpful selves and talked me through resetting all the new transponder frequencies
All of mine had reverted to a default setting which I suspect was caused by a pretty big EMP blast when lightning struck about 50 yards from where the van was parked week before last.
All new frequencies entered set it off to search.. Bingo !!

Big thanks to Mark at Oyster for all his help (y)

The mirror assembly is on order.. Complete unit including shipping was £127.00
Me being a tight wad I will use all the bits off the new unit ( cosmetic stuff ) and then sell the rest ( all the electronics ) on fleabay to recoup a few shekels.. That is due here tomorrow.

All in all what was looking to be a total disaster has been down graded to 'pain in the butt' status !! :laughing::rofl:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Glad to hear a bit of good news for a change John. Jenny and I sometimes open your posts with great trepidation wondering what disaster has befallen you this time!!

Plus we like to know where you are going so we can head in the opposite direction much as we love you LOL

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yesssss... It certainly has been an interesting 12 months..

Still .... we keep on smiling and things seem to come good somehow ( or perhaps I have learned to shrug my shoulders a lot harder nowadays ! )

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Mo removed the support bandage and splint this morning..
It was quite funny watching him walk to start with as the click click of the splint hitting the wooden floors had gone and he could not figure out why !

He held the leg up at a funny angle to start with too.. again, because aftger 3 days of having the splint he was still compensating for it.
Three hours later and although he still favours the leg a little, in general he is spot on .. He is standing up on his back legs again trying to snaffle stuff off the settees and the like without any difficulty !

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
good job there's bad luck mate otherwise you wouldnt't have any luck at all

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
good job there's bad luck mate otherwise you wouldnt't have any luck at all
I am starting to think along those lines !!!
More good news.. The new mirror assembly arrived about an hour ago and it is now fitted (y)
So apart from a slightly gimpy puppy ( !! ) everything is back on track (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back