What’s your hose length ? (5 Viewers)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Yep, I know it’s a very personal thing but I need to know.......roughly what length of hose for fresh water should I get ?
And no opportunity for innuendo here, what length EHU cable should I buy?
All comments welcome.......probably !

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a 20m flat hose on a cassette, lots of tap fittings, 15m and 25 m EHU cables ( rarely used either), 20litre water container and 15 litre watering can
Covers all eventualities.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have 2 hoses, a short one about 2m long and a long one about 8m long, both can be used if necessary but the 2m one is more often than not sufficient for our needs, in addition we have a couple of 5L slim rigid plastic containers which are easily stored and make carrying water back to the camper easier as I can hold one in each hand so am balanced, we also have 20L squishy plastic/vinyl type water carrier but it can be a s*d to try to pour the water out of into the tank ... think of a large jellyfish lump when it's got water in and you'll know what I mean!

As for electric, we did carry 2 leads, one short, one long, but have now ditched the shorter one as we very rarely have EHU as we use aires or wild-camp so if we do need one, we'll just use the long one, I've also ditched some of the attachments too which never got used but are a bit bulky to store, so just have a reverse polarity mini-lead and a continental EHU point connector now.

@suavecarve ... do you still have hose attachment envy? :D2

View attachment 196684 View attachment 196685
No more do I have the envy on attachments.
My hose is green and when the wife turns it on the expansion is huge as all the fluid rushes through to the vital area of the container. The expansion extends to a whopping 15 metres and it remains that way for a good few minutes until the job has been completed and shrinks in similar time and is then put away for until the wife determines its use is necessary again.
We have purchased several attachments to enhance the experience with the ever expanding hose, we are sure there are more but we have more than enough to satisfy her needs at this moment in time.
We don't bother taking an electric cable any more. That's just kinky.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I used to have the flat rolled into a cassette blue food grade hoses but found they only lasted about 18 months before they started to leak through small holes and they were a pain to roll back into the cassette.
I know have a lot of the expandable garden hoses in various lengths. I have a blue one which in 25 meters and another 3 I think which are 75m and a lot of fittings and connectors.
Using the expandable ones are great, they are not food standard but never had an issue, we do not drink the water direct from the tank unless it is boiled. The secret with this type of hose is to build the pressure up slowly and you have no problems. Turn off the water and they shrink back into a nice small light weight hose which fits nicely into a bag and they are cheap at most Sunday markets

As for electric cables, the motorhome has a really smart roll out thing like you get for garden hoses. You pull it out with a max length of 25 meters and when finished give it a gentle tug and it winds itself up. I also have another 25m cable. Requirements depend on where you will be camping. C&MC state that all pitches are within 25m of hook up posts. If yu are using Aires or Stellplatz you would need as much cable as you can carry. I have never failed with 50m but been close a few times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Cracking bit of kit. And so easy to store...........(y)

Hozelock Pico Reel.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I have a small hose that gets much bigger... I hold one end and the Beauty Terrorist turns it on by fiddling at the other end.... Always does the job.. :D2

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Watering cans are much cheaper and come with their own funnel.
I've never heard of a food grade one, though!

Get two cheap ones. Half the number of (balanced) trips.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I carry a roll flat hose about 15m and a 6m normal hose.
Electric hook-up cable 25m because that's the length cable I've got for sale!
Check the classifieds.;)

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
We have 2 hoses, 1 is a stretchy, the other green garden hose, each about 10m (maybe more, I've never felt the need to measure) in use + a host of hoselock fittings. And an 11 ltr watering can. Seriously thinking about leaving the garden hose at home for 2 reasons, it is starting to look as old as I am and the kinks are harder to remove and of course the watering can makes me take some exercise .

EHU cable is 25m, if it's not long enough and I need leccy I move the MH.

Upvote 0

tandc

Free Member
May 4, 2010
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
Hi musicboy could you please tell me where you got your expandable hose from.thank you tandc.

Upvote 0

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
TA. Purchased from BQ... 2 x 40ft which expand & ya can join them together . These are the original expand hose.
Ya can get cheaper on line i suppose . Mine were £40 . Each ..
Had a hose reel before but too heave .. too bulky & a pig to store . These are just the job....
cheers

Upvote 0

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
Just to add . On the shelves at BQ there are others . I tried a red hose (can't recall name ) ... tried it & was rather useless . So returned that & got the blue hose ( can't recall name either) but that is the branded product & been about for a few years now . More expensive but works very well ... I'm on a CL at the momment & tap Is over 100ft away . These do it easy with hose length to spare ... Hope that helps .

Upvote 0

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I tried a red hose (can't recall name ) ... tried it & was rather useless . So returned that & got the blue hose (

Red is for hot water so not surprised that it didn't work well but you have the correct one now.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I like the look of this but not the price

BROKEN LINK

I also like the look of the oblong funnel contraption @Minxy Girl . Easy to put together?
Not difficult at all, just some domestic water waste pipe fittings, you can see the contraption better in this photo, I just used what I already had at home so it didn't cost me anything for the piping, just the funnel which I think cost £1 but that was on offer somewhere ... if you can't get one of the 'oblong' funnels cheaply then you can use the standard type black ones (just push out the metal gauze filter in it as it slows the flow down when filling) or alternatively make one out of an used plastic milk bottle etc.

Water - funnel 3.JPG

Upvote 0

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We have 2 hoses, a short one about 2m long and a long one about 8m long, both can be used if necessary but the 2m one is more often than not sufficient for our needs, in addition we have a couple of 5L slim rigid plastic containers which are easily stored and make carrying water back to the camper easier as I can hold one in each hand so am balanced, we also have 20L squishy plastic/vinyl type water carrier but it can be a s*d to try to pour the water out of into the tank ... think of a large jellyfish lump when it's got water in and you'll know what I mean!

As for electric, we did carry 2 leads, one short, one long, but have now ditched the shorter one as we very rarely have EHU as we use aires or wild-camp so if we do need one, we'll just use the long one, I've also ditched some of the attachments too which never got used but are a bit bulky to store, so just have a reverse polarity mini-lead and a continental EHU point connector now.

@suavecarve ... do you still have hose attachment envy? :D2

View attachment 196684 View attachment 196685
O.m.g.....

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My hose is 0 cms long.

I have lived in a motor home fulltime for decades...

I gave up carrying a hose pipe years and years ago.

Carrying water to my van using my watering can is a tad "spiritual" for me.

I doubt many folk will understand this... it is a Simple Living thing.

JJ :cool:

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Not difficult at all, just some domestic water waste pipe fittings, you can see the contraption better in this photo, I just used what I already had at home so it didn't cost me anything for the piping, just the funnel which I think cost £1 but that was on offer somewhere ... if you can't get one of the 'oblong' funnels cheaply then you can use the standard type black ones (just push out the metal gauze filter in it as it slows the flow down when filling) or alternatively make one out of an used plastic milk bottle etc.

View attachment 196793

Yep , built one too, just the same ... well with French bits of pipes!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
img_0393-jpg.196687

Is it just me that thinks it looks as if he's got a realllllllllly big piece of chewing gum stuck on the end and he's trying to pull it off???? :D2

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back