What’s your best meal out, when motorhoming? (1 Viewer)

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Intrigued, trying to work out where it is PM if you don't want to put it in an open post ;)
I'm another not too keen on the Magpie.
Have had so many great meals whilst travelling, but one at the ACSI campsite, near the 'aeroplane graveyard' in spain was a right eye opener. Best duck we have ever had, we still talk about it, oh and a brilliant fish soup in Ireland, near the border but in the south can't remember where oh and I could go on and on.

The Ship At Dunswell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
A couple of years ago now at Paddy Coyne's, Tully Cross in Connemara, Eire. Excellent Steaks, local fresh fish catch of the day, mussells to die for, all washed down with glasses of the black stuff. And a great character pub too.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
The Ship At Dunswell.
Have lived in Hull for 20 years and never been there! have asked John, hull born and bred what it was like a few times, he's never been there in 70+ years guess where we are going for fish and chips next time out?
Close enough to walk on a good day, it's the getting home that might be tricky :LOL:

B93OldProp

Free Member
Jan 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Since 2014
A takeaway from Aladdin's in Tiddington after a pint at the Crown, and eaten back at the wagon when staying at Riverside ..

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Bluebell Inn at Whaplode St Katherine. Holbeach.
Great home cooked food, locally sourced, great value, great atmosphere, great beer from their own micro=brewery. And a CL to stay on after.
What more could you want,
I second that ...Been there a few times , its great for a night or two of simple relaxation. The food (in our opinion) is way beyond your average pub grub and at reasonable prices . Landlord and his staff have always been thoroughly pleasant and welcoming.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
A favourite weekend for us in The New Forrest.
Book into Camping in The Forest Setthorns site, £14/night open all year.EHU extra if needed.
Cycle through forest trails to Sway Village 2/3 miles, windy on the way back, see the ponies,deer, donkeys, and wild birds.
Go to The Hare & Hounds Pub, for Lunch or/and Dinner (book for dinner very popular)
The beers, the food, the atmosphere are all superb.
Check out the menu, you cant go wrong on anything you fancy IMHO
LES

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We were in tour in Iceland and had fish and chips Icelandic style (no batter on the fish) oh my goodeness it was so fresh and well cooked.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
For fish and chips, The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, North York Moors.

For posh nosh Tommy Banks Black Swan at Oldstead.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
[QUOTE="Littlewheels, post: 3661920, member: 2967
what’s up with a good old Frey Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie with
[/QUOTE]
Hi.
I allways seem to get the Vegan version,do they REALLY do a Pie with Meat in ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::hi5::LOL::LOL:(y)
Tea Bag

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
well, the saying that there are no strangers only friends you’ve not met yet, was borne out today. Brewery Dave read my post about the super meal and got in touch. He cycled to the garage and offered help including arranging a space at his portion of paradise Alcantarilha! We met his lovely wife and friends too.
How very welcoming! Thanks!!

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Reckless,

Perhaps they're trying to tell you something!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Never been, but the prices are good.
We are giving it a try tomorrow for Johns birthday if it is good then great news. If disappointing it will be payback for the ‘pensioners special’ he got me for my 60th ?

Apr 10, 2018
Gt Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500
Exp
10 yrs
The seafood platter at the Seafood Bar, Kishorn, Strathcarron, Scotland. IV54 8XA

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Remembered another memorable one, whisky seared scallops from the caravan at Oban harbour, absolutely delicious and so fresh and i dont like whisky.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Cod and chips at the Portreath Chippie, .Park in the Car park, and have them as a takeaway to eat in your van, or sit in the Cafe.

Don't order "FISH and chips" I never do where ever I am, always COD and chips.,

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
In the Algarve stopped at a wild spot for a couple of days near Quarteira, there was a beach restaurant called BJs (l think) called in for a meal, on the black board catch of the day giant prawns, couldn't resist...... absolutely delicious.
IMG_20190525_141256.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Well today we have been to the ship, went in dobbie the doblo camper, so relevent ;)
Verdict the fish was delicious and very fresh, but neither of us were keen on the batter, wouldn't rule out going again, perhaps try something else off the menu. Can't vouch for the hand pulled but they had a good selection for a small inn, some nice malts on the optics too. we had tea and a coffee as not to keen on drinking mid day and I was driving anyway. Lovely friendly atmosphere. We will go again, in nice weather when we can walk, it's only a couple of miles from home, but a roundabout 2 bus journey to get there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1978
Bratwurst and pomfriets from a little van that used to come round our married quarters in massen while serving in Germany also jagersnittzel, pomfriets and champinions served at local pub.
Same, just outside the gates at Hohne. What about the Balkan Grills!? Very sad going back there last year to see all the bases I served in, Hohne, Herford, Monchengladbach, all closed down

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well today we have been to the ship, went in dobbie the doblo camper, so relevent ;)
Verdict the fish was delicious and very fresh, but neither of us were keen on the batter, wouldn't rule out going again, perhaps try something else off the menu. Can't vouch for the hand pulled but they had a good selection for a small inn, some nice malts on the optics too. we had tea and a coffee as not to keen on drinking mid day and I was driving anyway. Lovely friendly atmosphere. We will go again, in nice weather when we can walk, it's only a couple of miles from home, but a roundabout 2 bus journey to get there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Just goes to show?. The batter is my favourite, reminds me of being a kid, living on Hessle Road, when the fish was similarly battered and crisp. Most places now have it too soggy!. Haven`t been for a while now but Whiteheads at Hornsea come recommended too. The hand-pulled current is one of my Favourites (Black Sheep).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back