What’s your best meal out, when motorhoming? (1 Viewer)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like eating out, fish and chips at the Magpie in Whitby, decent pub grub at Tom Kerridge’s but for me the very best meal I’ve ever had was in Le Gavroche. We were met by Michel Roux Junior, who shook hands with us and welcomed us to his restaurant.

The ambiance was really posh but very welcoming. We were supplied with endless fresh bread, and two Amuse-Bouche tasters before we had even ordered. We both ordered pork for our main and they brought a joint of pork to our table and carved as much as we wanted. Whilst we ate, Michel Roux came to our table for a chat and to check everything was okay. He’s such a charming character.

Two complimentary desserts followed and then our actual order. We had the cheese board which was massive and I mean bigger than our dining room table! When we finally finished our meal we were presented with hand made chocolates. I had to take these with us because we were so full.

We stayed here overnight:

OP
OP
138go

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
It’s such an experience though and was on my bucket list. The lady’s menu didn’t have any prices on it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We found the Magpie at Whitby to be the biggest load of overrated tosh we have come across.
Had to que for 3/4 for a table, then to be served mediocre over priced cod and chip and ended up with severe food poisoning to boot.

I think our best meal while away in the motorhome was at a bar/restaurant in Reil on the Moselle. The food was pretty average, but we had met up with fellow Funsters and that made the evening.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
We’ve had a few but here’s my favourites

Popcorn shrimp at the pavement vaults in York
FCAF064B-0066-45CA-8610-D2CA2855B211.jpeg

Battered sausage from Rick Steins chippy at Fistral Beach, Newquay
ED014D52-ABCD-4AC6-828E-7FC476E4E54B.jpeg

One of the best Chinese takeaways we’ve ever had was from Delight, Sutton on Sea when staying at Jasmin Camping
0A9BA212-B505-4489-BCB3-DB3626A6F708.jpeg

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We rarely eat out when on tour and I don't eat meat or poultry so my choices are a bit limited, however one really memorable meal was the pizzas we had in Monzambano, Italy. Truly the best pizza I have every tasted and great local red wine to wash it down. They even allowed our dog in and gave him a treat and some water. It was so good we detoured slightly and went again on our way back home. Also the sosta we stayed at was excellent.

080419 Pizza in Monzambano (1).JPG
080419 Pizza in Monzambano (2).JPG

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Recently, away for eight days over New Year, we had Icelandic Cod in batter with hand cut chips, chunky Tartar sauce and mushy pea puree

Simple but each done to perfection at the Lazy Lion Milford on Sea

Not sure that it is the "best" meal out, but, it was recent, it stands out head and shoulders over everything else we ate the week, and we want to go back again just for that

So it had to be good

Stayed at Hurst View site Lymington

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Simple but each done to perfection at the Lazy Lion Milford on Sea

We have planned a trip down to Milford on Sea and Hurst point later this year so will give the Lazy Lion a go. (y)

Last edited:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We have planning a trip down to Milford on Sea and Hurst point later this year so will give the Lazy Lion a go. (y)
Guest Ales as well! We cycled there from the site and you get there along the Solent way which is a great bike ride, level and no cars allowed the majority of the route

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I’ve had 2 memorable meals so far in this life, that I would describe as absolutely amazing, as both actually put a tear in my eye they were that good! Neither was complicated, nor top dollar expensive or super posh venues, but both superb nonetheless.

First was a seafood linguine at a restaurant called Da Eraldo in Monterosso al Mare on the Cinque Terre, Italy. Had this main course after walking several miles along the cliff top route, in flip flops?

Second was a Bacalhau dish, done as a speciality at a local restaurant to me on the Algarve, called O Walter at Armacao de Pera. It’s a place that has the look of many others, only open spring and summer, but has a secret array of dishes which the chef will cook to order that aren’t on the menu?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think our best have been the ones we have had by accident almost in rural France. Im afraid the big name chefs wouldn't do it for me what was the cost!!!!!! (I would just be unable to enjoy it if it was high)
We have had some good ones in little villages in France but it's hard to beat rural Spain & Portugal where there is no menu no prices you just get asked if you want meat or fish.

This is what arrived last time, they put what was left in contains for tomorrows dinner.
1579086322368.png

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
One of the best has to be our own Barbie sat outside the van on a warm sunny evening all the ingredients especially the farm mushrooms filled with blue cheese (shall I go on)meats and fish with all the sauces (shall I go on)lots and lots of salads with loads of French dressing (shall I go on) I've had expensive meals some good some bad but sat outside with the Barbie is part of motorhoming for us

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Bratwurst and pomfriets from a little van that used to come round our married quarters in massen while serving in Germany also jagersnittzel, pomfriets and champinions served at local pub.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
The only meal out we have had in 10 years of motorhoming abroad was in Dole on a wedding anniversary.

We tend to be away for our anniversary and her birthday and on each and every occasion I have failed to take her out for a meal with the one exception.

To be fair, occasionally, we have a kebab when out on the motorbike for the day and if i remember correctly the last anniversary was in Frejus and I found a back street burger bar for lunch.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
One of the best has to be our own Barbie sat outside the van on a warm sunny evening all the ingredients especially the farm mushrooms filled with blue cheese (shall I go on)meats and fish with all the sauces (shall I go on)lots and lots of salads with loads of French dressing (shall I go on) I've had expensive meals some good some bad but sat outside with the Barbie is part of motorhoming for us

Go on, go on, go on; you know you want to! ?

Ian

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
A lobster roll eaten in the pouring rain at Cafe Mor,
Freshwater West | Main Car Park, Pembroke SA71 5AH, Wales
+44 7422 535345
Expensive, but one of the best things I’ve ever tasted any where!

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Bratwurst and pomfriets from a little van that used to come round our married quarters in massen while serving
Hi.
Thats got my taste buds working. SIL and daughters married quarters.. Sennelager.. Bratwurst- Frikadellen- etc. From Nicko ? the Greeks little take out....Just around the corner...RESULT!! Thanks,can still enjoy the taste now,after all these years..
Tea Bag

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
We found the Magpie at Whitby to be the biggest load of overrated tosh we have come across.
Had to que for 3/4 for a table, then to be served mediocre over priced cod and chip and ended up with severe food poisoning to boot.

I think our best meal while away in the motorhome was at a bar/restaurant in Reil on the Moselle. The food was pretty average, but we had met up with fellow Funsters and that made the evening.
I live near Whitby and have to agree with you about the Magpie, it is so overrated . Much nicer restaurants in the town.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Without doubt, "LE MANOIR AUX QUAT'SAISONS"

We had a lunch there which was brilliant and enjoyed so much we took our family there to celebrate our 40th anniversary. A brilliant experience from start to finish, food was superb and we were looked after in a private room by our own head waiter, nothing to much trouble, they even took the kids out to the kitchen so they could sample and choose what ice cream they wanted.

Closely followed by The Ritz London where we had afternoon tea followed by dinner B&B. Stunning location with super service and food. We had to park the motorhome and get a taxi for the final part of the journey

Both expensive but memories that will last forever.

On the other hand there have been many occasions in a little cafe on the beach at Erquy in France, cheap cheerful and memorable and several times just bought cheese and bread and sat on a bench, and I remember particularly a cone of superb chips in Deft market.

All memorable in their own way for different reasons. but the best was the Manoir.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It’s such an experience though and was on my bucket list. The lady’s menu didn’t have any prices on it!
"Ladys menu" how quaint!!!! We still get some funny looks when Liz tastes the wine before poring she's better than me at telling if its off. I wonder what they do for female gay couples maybe its free!!!!!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's always difficult for us to eat out as we both need gluten-free diets. If I get it wrong that is the end of the trip :(

One place we trust and return to time after time is Scott's Fish Restaurant on the A64 (not far off the A1) which always makes a good rest point for us. It is not fancy but good food and plenty of it.

Other local places are The Blue Bell at Crookham, Northumberland, and The Waggon in Kelso (both good food and not overly expensive or too posh) and a very basic F&C shop with a sit-in area that does brilliant gluten-free is Castlegate Fish and Chips in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back