What’s the earliest date we can go away ? (1 Viewer)

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I booked a site for just after the 12th April and on the booking confirmation they highlighted the paragraph about the on site toilet and showers bring closed until May 17th.

Reactions: DBK
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
I booked a site for just after the 12th April and on the booking confirmation they highlighted the paragraph about the on site toilet and showers bring closed until May 17th.

I stayed at Hidden Valley, Ilfracombe earlier in the year and all facilities were closed and they were only accepting bookings from 'self contained' rigs.

It seemed a very sensible measure to me!

Hidden Valley.jpg

I'm not sure of the rules for this reopening.

Last edited:
May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I suspect some people will want the prices to be cheaper if the facility’s are closed .I doubt this will happen as people are booking up fast . Clarification will be needed otherwise people with camper vans that don’t have a shower will be turned away .

If the facilities are closed and this had not been mentioned at the time of booking, then a good case for cancelling with a full refund I'd have thought.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just had a phone call from a campsite we had booked for 15th & 16th May. They have taken the decision that no matter if the Gov. says campsites can open the facilities from 12th April they will not open theirs till 17th May.

So I got my money back, cancelled that booking.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Just put a deposit on a new motorhome. Complete newbie to this! Keen to get out as soon as we can after delivery but I don't want to be booking campsites etc yet as we can't really commit to dates for various reasons. What's the feasibility of just going on the hoof and parking up where ever we can if campsites are not available. (England based)

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
After talking to a campsite owner who said he was as sure as he could be that he wouldn't be allowed to open the showers and toilets before 17th May we just spent 4.5 hours changing all our booked campsites from 15th April to 23rd May.
Phew. They were getting very booked up so glad we did it. If the government change their minds and allow campsites to open shower blocks before then I don't care. We'll stil be away for 9.5 weeks.

OP
OP
Swifter

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Just put a deposit on a new motorhome. Complete newbie to this! Keen to get out as soon as we can after delivery but I don't want to be booking campsites etc yet as we can't really commit to dates for various reasons. What's the feasibility of just going on the hoof and parking up where ever we can if campsites are not available. (England based)

it’s possible but locations may be crowded as the camp sites will mostly be full .

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
After talking to a campsite owner who said he was as sure as he could be that he wouldn't be allowed to open the showers and toilets before 17th May we just spent 4.5 hours changing all our booked campsites from 15th April to 23rd May.
Phew. They were getting very booked up so glad we did it. If the government change their minds and allow campsites to open shower blocks before then I don't care. We'll stil be away for 9.5 weeks.
Just how many campsites were you going to 15th April? 🤔🤔🤔😂😂😂.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley enjoy your trips

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
From what I read, it will all still be dependant on each stage meeting the required levels before moving onto the next stage, not that each stage will go ahead just by date and time.
I agree, these dates are the earliest that things will happen and the Government are saying the dates could get pushed back if there is a surge in infections at any stage. I would not book anything that cannot be cancelled without penalty. I've already had to pay a fee to rearrange the dates of a holiday postponed from March 2020, that I would not legally have been allowed to take in March 2021 either, as things turned out, and feel a bit aggrieved about being charged for that! (cottage holiday not camper, we booked it well before we had the van, which we bought October 2019)

Feb 16, 2021
Salcombe Regis
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600SL
Exp
Delivered April 2021 😃. Still new, still learning. Only a couple of mishaps so far....
I suspect some people will want the prices to be cheaper if the facility’s are closed .I doubt this will happen as people are booking up fast . Clarification will be needed otherwise people with camper vans that don’t have a shower will be turned away .
From the campsite perspective the running costs are exactly the same. Staff, rates, insurance, maintenance etc etc. I think it is more of a case of - you can move your booking at no charge, cancel and have a full refund or still come on the understanding that for health reasons the communal blocks will be shut and you must be self sufficient. Unfortunately the campsite will probably not offer cheaper prices as right now no business in the hospitality sector can afford to discount as they have already taken a battering. Would be very different if they were saving money I am sure.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Bit harsh on the consumer eh, on some sites provide half the facilities like, no amenity blocks, no shop, no restaurant/cafe etc etc, but you can share the dump. :eek: so pay full price.
I know it's hard and feel for any business affected.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
From the campsite perspective the running costs are exactly the same. Staff, rates, insurance, maintenance etc etc. I think it is more of a case of - you can move your booking at no charge, cancel and have a full refund or still come on the understanding that for health reasons the communal blocks will be shut and you must be self sufficient. Unfortunately the campsite will probably not offer cheaper prices as right now no business in the hospitality sector can afford to discount as they have already taken a battering. Would be very different if they were saving money I am sure.
Some of the static parks that also take touring motorhomes/caravans though still charged all the static owners full rent through last year and this year and no one has been, they must have saved plenty on running costs, maintenance etc.
My sister who owns a static on the coast reckons the site has made plenty of money through still charging everyone full rent, furloughing all staff, hardly any maintenance costs, grant monies etc etc

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Bit harsh on the consumer eh, on some sites provide half the facilities like, no amenity blocks, no shop, no restaurant/cafe etc etc, but you can share the dump. :eek: so pay full price.
I know it's hard and feel for any business affected.
But we all have a choice if we want to go, it’s not compulsory to go. Unlike static owners not so easy for them to change sites etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think as long as it's clear what you are getting before you get there it's up to you if you book. We often prefer to use our own facilities anyway in normal times so it wouldn't bother me if they're open or not.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
People must be confident about things opening up, eg I saw an advert for hgv drivers in West Drayton for servicing film and theatre work.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Just seen this on Twitter so take it as you please. View attachment 468122

He also said he was going to scrap all new plans for smart motorways and cancel all work being carried out currently. Only as an example, how does anyone believe anything he spouts out spontaneously when he feels like it. Wait and look at it when it's nearer the time, and go somewhere where there are fewer people, if you can find one!!, I think this country will be rammed every where this year. Brit stops, park 4 night, and follow your nose day by day and be prepared to come home again. Be safe.
I have just had a wrap done on my Mo-Ho to look like a police mobile unit. I reckon I can park that anywhere!!!??? Stealth
Motor.
Bruce.

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
WHAT??? No sergeant inspecting PNBs at shift briefing/parade?? Standards are certainly slipping.
Should be checked when inspecting truncheon, cuffs and torch:LOL::LOL:
"truncheon, cuffs and torch:LOL::LOL:"
You mean, 'appointments' don't you?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
He also said he was going to scrap all new plans for smart motorways and cancel all work being carried out currently. Only as an example, how does anyone believe anything he spouts out spontaneously when he feels like it. Wait and look at it when it's nearer the time, and go somewhere where there are fewer people, if you can find one!!, I think this country will be rammed every where this year. Brit stops, park 4 night, and follow your nose day by day and be prepared to come home again. Be safe.
I have just had a wrap done on my Mo-Ho to look like a police mobile unit. I reckon I can park that anywhere!!!??? Stealth
Motor.
Bruce.
I didn’t say whether I believed it or not I was just posting it for others to read.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I didn’t say whether I believed it or not I was just posting it for others to read.
Thats fine like my post, I don't quote on assumptions or rumours. I just thought it was worth posting to remind people that there are so many conspiracy theory's out there it is better to stick to what we know is fact or personal experience. Bruce
Edit. I have replied to wrong post. sorry

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Buy yourself a copy of Britstops.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

An age thing, I forgot Pocket book and whistle. It was a right handful doing it properly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back