Whales - Anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
No not the whales in Iceland I have done that :D but now I have the Welsh peoples attention this is a serious post. I am looking at dipping my toe into Wales between Christmas and New Year, we have decided to take the risk and go out in the rain with our new motorhome, we will be travelling to the outlaws north of Birmingham and putting the motorhome on a site for 3 nights, plugged in and kept safe, we will do the necessary at the outlaws then make good our escape in the 27th, we have booked a site for New Year in Somerset arriving on the 31st so we have 4 nights to explore Wales, I don't mind a different site every night as we are there to see things not sit inside and watch TV, we have a dog so walks would be nice, we have our Swift waterproofs so rain is no problem(y)

Looking at heading west from say j11 of the M6 on 27th Jan or that area, and ending up near Bristol M5 area on the 31st Jan. We would like to be near civilisation e.g. pubs, not interested in shops and in the day could drive around and see things as we would be moving sites.

Thanks for any help anyone can give, I will of course report on and photograph my adventure which will be a first for us, normally we just head South ;)

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
Elan valley good, not sure what sites will be open but you could do some wilding ?
I did have a look at campsites in Wales but don't know the area, amazing how many are closed over the winter months!

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think you will find most sites closed, just odd ones open. But Wales is quite relaxed about wild camping in the off season, especially in more remote locations.
Nearly all of Wales is picturesque with great walks, you won't go far wrong.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
M4 > to Swansea turn left for the Gower; a couple of days spent there is superb. Then back on to the M4 turn NW toward Carmarthen, don't bother with the town but turn left into Pembrokshire, you can spend a month exploring there, It's stunning and you'll get a great welcome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Phil 748

Free Member
May 21, 2019
Newark Notts
Funster No
MH
AS Nuevo ES 06
Exp
Hi we stayed at PEN Y FAN caravan and leisure park last weekend, great Food didn't get much chance to get out rained all day

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
M4 > to Swansea turn left for the Gower; a couple of days spent there is superb. Then back on to the M4 turn NW toward Carmarthen, don't bother with the town but turn left into Pembrokshire, you can spend a month exploring there, It's stunning and you'll get a great welcome.
Thanks Jim, and what way is best to get back to see something different?

This is the route so far:

Attachments

• Image 08-11-2019 at 11.24.jpg
    Image 08-11-2019 at 11.24.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
You could head back via Aberystwyth and North Wales, absolutely stunning countryside, quite a few weirdos in North Wales though, aren't there Dave :D ShiftZZ
I guess I could go the other way round

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
If you are interested in Birds the Red Kites at Gigrin farm is worth a look. Phone to check what they are doing as they apprear to be open from the 27th. I think they also take MH and Caravans as can be seen on Google Earth but check if they have hard standing available.

Doug

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
If you are interested in Birds the Red Kites at Gigrin farm is worth a look. Phone to check what they are doing as they apprear to be open from the 27th. I think they also take MH and Caravans as can be seen on Google Earth but check if they have hard standing available.

Doug
Would love that, my wife flies falcons so she would love that ?

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!

Doug
Also think Elan Oaks site is open. Not sure though.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In Powys you can stay in any council carpark one night in 7. So you could park in Hay on Wye, the carpark is just behind the High Street, then move on to Brecon maybe, there’s a carpark near the canal, then choose another location, and so on. You could try further west, perhaps Cwmcuttan or there’s a couple of C&CC sites.
Just watch the weather, I used to live in Wales and had to abandon my car and walk home a couple of times due to snow, though I did live 3/4 up a mountain.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
In Powys you can stay in any council carpark one night in 7. So you could park in Hay on Wye, the carpark is just behind the High Street, then move on to Brecon maybe, there’s a carpark near the canal, then choose another location, and so on. You could try further west, perhaps Cwmcuttan or there’s a couple of C&CC sites.
Just watch the weather, I used to live in Wales and had to abandon my car and walk home a couple of times due to snow, though I did live 3/4 up a mountain.
Would I need snow chains? It will be late Dec.

Deleted User
You need to go to The Old Deer Park Richmond, West London, centre of Wales.

OP
OP

Banned
Sep 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10yrs plus
I checked the map and won’t have time to go to see Betty Code so will do Bargoed farm then down to the pointy bit and across to the M5 ?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
From your starting point, down M5 and turn off at Worcester. Then cross country via Leominster or maybe Hereford to Hay on Wye. Then Talgarth, Brecon, Llandovery, Llandeilo and join up with the route you posted earlier. Then go t'other way round i.e. eastbound to Bristol. All nice enough places to visit - that'll easily fill four days!

As for stopovers I'd be tempted to use pubstops - you can find them on Campercontact or similar apps. Always on hardstandings, the odd one or two may have water and waste disposal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back