Whale Watermaster external pump electrical connection (1 Viewer)

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Burford Duo
Exp
Since 2018
I've got a Whale Watermaster external pump WH222-mn.png which is connected to a WH304 WH305 ES5002B ES7001B-mn.pngand yesterday it stopped working.

I've tested the electrical connections on the MH and power is present. If I connect a battery to the pump it runs. Therefore, it must be the connections on the side of the fitting. I've tried wiggling it and nothing happens. The connectors look like brass or copper coated steel. I don't want to try an abrasive in case this makes it worse and I have tried cleaning them with a cloth, all to no avail.

Any ideas before I start dismantling any more.

TIA.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Don't assume it's the contacts - they're sliding contacts and self-cleaning to a great extent. Remove the plug and check for detached or broken wires. The plug end of the pipe / cable is subject to a lot of flexing in use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
Would it be possible to add a little solder to the contacts?
I think so. I'll try that once I've investigated further.

Don't assume it's the contacts - they're sliding contacts and self-cleaning to a great extent. Remove the plug and check for detached or broken wires. The plug end of the pipe / cable is subject to a lot of flexing in use.
The connection at the back of the plug looks fine. I can't see how to access the connections at the pump to test them and the cable.

There is a strain relief gubbins on the back of the plug which should take care of the flexing at that end. It's not really abused operationally and I would expect a broken connection or cable to fail intermittently.

This motorhoming lark ain't cheep :(

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think so. I'll try that once I've investigated further.

The connection at the back of the plug looks fine. I can't see how to access the connections at the pump to test them and the cable.

There is a strain relief gubbins on the back of the plug which should take care of the flexing at that end. It's not really abused operationally and I would expect a broken connection or cable to fail intermittently.

This motorhoming lark ain't cheep :(
I forgot you said you had tested the pump & checked for power at the socket contacts so as you say it must be the contacts. Solder will be a very temporary cure - even if you don't melt the housing. I'd dismantle the housing and clean & re-shape the contacts to provide a little more pressure. A light coating of Vaseline will stop it happening again.

OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
...A light coating of Vaseline will stop it happening again.

Excellent, I'll try that. I wasn't sure if it was an oxidation issue or the contact pressure was insufficient.

Interestingly, the other Whale gadget which connects the MH to the water main also uses the same contacts and that works. This makes me think it's the contacts on the pump plug but these are flush to the housing, i.e. flat and without any curve to be bent back.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Does your water gauge read 100% by any chance. Ours cuts off at 100% to stop us over filling.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Is there a filter, I had this system on one of my vans which had a gauze filter behind the fitting that was always getting blocked, it was a bugger to get to as well.

OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
Does your water gauge read 100% by any chance. Ours cuts off at 100% to stop us over filling.
I thought of that but there's power at the socket end and the tank is empty.

Is there a filter, I had this system on one of my vans which had a gauze filter behind the fitting that was always getting blocked, it was a bugger to get to as well.
I don't think that would stop the pump from running.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
I thought of that but there's power at the socket end and the tank is empty.

I don't think that would stop the pump from running.
But does the gauge read empty if you have a faulty gauge which is not uncommon it my cut out.
If we leave our pump connected as soon as the gauge drops we can just fill from from the water master.
Or as above a blockage in the Pump filter.

OP
OP
A

A and B in the Huzzie

Free Member
Mar 31, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2018
But does the gauge read empty if you have a faulty gauge which is not uncommon it my cut out.
If we leave our pump connected as soon as the gauge drops we can just fill from from the water master.
Or as above a blockage in the Pump filter.
The initial failure occurred when the tank was 25% full as indicated by the gauge. However, whilst testing, the tank is empty as the drain is open.

I believe that the full tank signal reverses the state of a relay and shuts off the power to the socket. At all times in my scenario there is power to the socket.

I would imagine, if the filter was blocked, the pump would run until the pressure built up. Unless the filter is in the pump housing?

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
The initial failure occurred when the tank was 25% full as indicated by the gauge. However, whilst testing, the tank is empty as the drain is open.

I believe that the full tank signal reverses the state of a relay and shuts off the power to the socket. At all times in my scenario there is power to the socket.

I would imagine, if the filter was blocked, the pump would run until the pressure built up. Unless the filter is in the pump housing?
Stumped me then I'm afraid.
Will keep a look on this thread as we may encounter the problem.
Hope you get it sorted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back