Whale water pump pulses ever couple of minutes (1 Viewer)

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Hi folks,

I’ve googled this to death and can’t find any root cause on the motorhome.

The Whale pump (Blue with a White damper / picture below) under the bed pulses for a split second every few minutes. I’ve checked for leaks everywhere and can’t see any nor do I believe there is any air in the system. i’ve emptied some water so it isn’t over-filled.

Up in Scotland the issue didn’t appear but now we are in Wales it started doing it yesterday when we arrived and filled up. The pitch is slightly sloping but I’ve levelled so there should be no gravitational issue should there??

The weather is noticeably cooler here but we’ve been away in the van in the cold last year and nothing.

I can’t see any sort of pressure switch or pressure relief valve (Elddis 155) so I assume they are inside the pump. I cleaned the filter yesterday as there were lots of black plastic shavings in it which I assume would be from when the van was built??

I used a water tank cap with a Hoselok fitting for the first time in Scotland and really pressurised the tank as it didn’t vent off when full but we didn’t really have this issue after that event.

The only thing I haven’t checked (I could try today) is the electrical connection for the pump but there is no issue with the pump working when taps are opened so I don’t see how this can be the root cause.

Any tips before I consider changing the damper /
I’d appreciate it if anybody has some suggestions or thoughts?

47E316BC-4F60-4E87-AA09-C0E0FD39F648.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If it's not a very small leak from the pipes or fittings somewhere, it could be a small backflow leak inside the pump. A split in the diaphragm, or dirt stopping the non-return valves from fully sealing perhaps.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Classic signs of a slight leak. If you turn you pump off for a few hours, when turning it on does the pump then run?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Can you really examine all your pipe runs, our leak was only visible when we took off the fridge vents to see the shower pipe work.
As Landy Andy said try leaving pump off overnight and see if it runs at all when you first turn it back on.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We've got the same pump, there is a microswitch inside that acts as a pressure switch, it's easy to strip down and you'll see how it works. Got some pictures somewhere 🤔

Firstly though check the boiler drain down valve, ours drips out under the van and causes the same symptom.

Edit pic...
The microswitch has got a white lever in front of it that gets pushed by a rubber bellow in front of it which expands with pressure and switches the motor off.

20200825_160546.jpg

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
If it's not a slight leak it may be a tiny piece of the plastic shavings you found has got under the diaphragm .

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Can you really examine all your pipe runs, our leak was only visible when we took off the fridge vents to see the shower pipe work.
As Landy Andy said try leaving pump off overnight and see if it runs at all when you first turn it back on.
The pump does run when switched back on (thanks for the replies) but only for a split second.. just like it does every minute or so if left on

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
If it's not a slight leak it may be a tiny piece of the plastic shavings you found has got under the diaphragm .
And you are the winner!! Stripped the pump and found a tiny piece of the black plastic in one of the rubber valves plus some solidified tank cleaner that I used when we were in Scotland

Stripped and cleaned the rubber diaphragm and valves and now she’s working (touches wood)

Thanks to everybody for the advice!!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
And you are the winner!! Stripped the pump and found a tiny piece of the black plastic in one of the rubber valves plus some solidified tank cleaner that I used when we were in Scotland

Stripped and cleaned the rubber diaphragm and valves and now she’s working (touches wood)

Thanks to everybody for the advice!!
Should have a filter on the inlet, check that is OK 👍

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
1599578309920.jpeg

I’ve never known a swinger trainer, is it good fun😂

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
View attachment 423264

I’ve never known a swinger trainer, is it good fun😂
Brought that Momentus swing trainer back from Florida some years back... it’s heavy (though they sold a heavier one) so it is good for building muscle memory.

My golf is a little inconsistent since I started playing again and after getting my shoulder smashed when the maniac deliberately knocked me off the pushbike...

a “Swinger Trainer” would be wasted on me... No pampas grass near us 😋

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We had a period when the pump when off for a couple of seconds every 20 minutes or so. It annoyed the hell out of it. I checked for leaks, air locks, everything everyone suggested to no avail. Then I changed the filter after decalcifying the fresh water tank and I found the filter hadn't been screwed on properly. It had engaged but there was a slight cross thread. After putting it right, the annoying starts stopped. Hope you track the fault down.

OP
OP
Bluemanc100

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
We had a period when the pump when off for a couple of seconds every 20 minutes or so. It annoyed the hell out of it. I checked for leaks, air locks, everything everyone suggested to no avail. Then I changed the filter after decalcifying the fresh water tank and I found the filter hadn't been screwed on properly. It had engaged but there was a slight cross thread. After putting it right, the annoying starts stopped. Hope you track the fault down.

There was a minute piece of plastic in one of the silicon valves inside the pump, removed it and gave the working parts a thorough clean and its working fine now 👍🏻

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strange the filter should be full of black bits when the pipes are blue and elbows are white. The only black bits are on the pump itself.... On the down stream of the filter.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
What colour is the water tank though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.