Whale water pump failure (1 Viewer)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
We are at Oloron Sainte Marie hoping to head through today but no water.
The control panel says pump is on the pump fuse is OK, there is 12V at the pump but it's not running. Given our location where is the most likely place to get a replacement.
I fear Whale are unique to the UK, someone prove me wrong

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi have you pulled a pipe off the pump exit end to check if water is coming out ?...tried all taps?( you may have micro switches) Give pump a gentle tap.....you can replace the pump with any other pump if you cannot get a whale ( Surefow etc)
Terry

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, thanks for the reply, after a nice cooked breakfast, we have decided to carry on with our travels. When we are on sites in Spain we will have shower, and build up a supply of 5L water bottles for the trip home in two weeks time. The MH is a Bailey 625, the label is on the rear of the pump less than an inch from the wheel arch so impossible to read. I've peeled the label off so I can read it. The system is pressure operated so no micro switches. As I said before there is power to the pump it's not using it. The pump is a sealed unit so can't be repaired. I will give Whale a call tomorrow

IMG_0257.JPG

cronkle

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
shropshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since1995
I hesitate to suggest this as the idea will most likely be poh-poohed but have you tried jolting the thing with a sharp blow. I usede to have to do this with the old SU fuel pumps in cars. I used to use a hammer. It was only ever a temporary fix (but did work for a few days) as the pumps were usually terminal at that point. Just thought you might find it more conveneint to do that rather than buying/filling plastic bottles.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
If the pump gets hot after a few minutes of being switched on its seized up, if it doesn't its either the pressure switch built in that's failed or the windings have gone open circuit. Not a lot you can do except as suggested give it a tap when its powered up.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Posted by someone from Whale refering to FP 0814

I see from your recent posts that you have a question about the new Watermaster On Board Pump. This is indeed Whale's latest on board water pump and is straight forward to retro fit in place of a Smartflo.

The 'fully sealed' feature we refer to is actually that the electric motor being fully sealed inside the pump housing to protect the motor for long life. The pump is servicable.

We aim to make as many spare parts available to purchase from caravan retailers as possible. For this Watermaster On Board Pump, we offer a range of servicable parts:

• Microswitch kit- Whale part: AK1317
  • Full head service kit - Whale part: AK1318
  • Strainer replacement- Whale part : AK1320

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Posted by someone from Whale refering to FP 0814

I see from your recent posts that you have a question about the new Watermaster On Board Pump. This is indeed Whale's latest on board water pump and is straight forward to retro fit in place of a Smartflo.

The 'fully sealed' feature we refer to is actually that the electric motor being fully sealed inside the pump housing to protect the motor for long life. The pump is servicable.

We aim to make as many spare parts available to purchase from caravan retailers as possible. For this Watermaster On Board Pump, we offer a range of servicable parts:

• Microswitch kit- Whale part: AK1317
  • Full head service kit - Whale part: AK1318
  • Strainer replacement- Whale part : AK1320
Looks like the micro switch can be accessed worth checking it may be possible to short it out and just use the pump switch as an emergency fix.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Have you checked you are getting 12V at the pump with the taps open, if not it could be a faulty pressure switch, if it's the switch it could be the electrical switch or the diaphragm faulty.
If that proves it is the pump should be able to replace it with any similar type of pump or for an emergency fix bodge in a cheap submersible pump.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Does the pump make any noise when turned on?

Have you tried sucking water through the taps to try and get a flow started?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Forgot to mention if it turns our to be the pressure switch you could easily rig up an ordinary switch in parallel to get you home.

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to Terry's suggestion of a gently tap on the pump I gave it a few "taps" with a bottle of my favourite Vouvray and it started pumping after much pumping which ended with some unusually slow strokes. We had water at the taps, but noticed the slow finish again. All seemed well but with it stopped the battery monitor was showing a discharge of 5Amps.
I have now worked out what happens the pump doesn't switch off and just stalls, over heats and some how trips.
We are now controlling it from the main control panel which gives us all fascilities we need until we get home.
Again many thanks for all the help, Fun is definitely the place for good advice.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
As an aside, looking at the water pump as an essential part of being self contained in a motorhome, is it practical to carry a spare and replace it yourself if it fails?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As an aside, looking at the water pump as an essential part of being self contained in a motorhome, is it practical to carry a spare and replace it yourself if it fails?
Yes always carry a spare and to use it a couple of years ago in Greece. Hymers use a tandem submersible easy to change. If you have Sureflow they are quite expensive so in that case probably worth carrying a cheap submersible with a few bits to enable a jury rig in an emergency.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Indeed. Always carry two spares, a water pump and a serpentine belt for the engine. The spare pump I have carried for six years till it was used when we were away at Christmas when the pump was filling the locker and not the sink. :D

I'm not daft, I'm not silly, thought of this at day one. Can you imagine the grief, upon uttering the words "sorry darling, you can't have a shower or wash your hair, the water pump has gone phutttt and I do not have a spare". :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back