Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Wonder have any Elddis “whale” users managed to suss out what the increments on the temperature control panel relate to in celsius
( roughly)

KMarkN

Free Member
Jul 29, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 RedlineSport
Exp
Moved from PVC to campervan
I saw a handover video of an Elddis pvc which suggested the top of the range was around 30 and the middle around 20. Must be very dependent on other factors though so extremely approximate. We left ours on 2/3 increments overnight in the peak district last week and I don't think it came on - if it did it was only briefly at around 5am. So that seems a good setting for overnight as we were not cold.
Not sure if all this helps much!

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
Ours doesn't seem to be overly thermostatic - we have to turn it up until it comes on, then turn it down when we get too hot. Rinse and repeat. Having said that, once it's running the van warms up nicely. Top of the shop is way too hot, so the 30 mentioned above could be about right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I saw a handover video of an Elddis pvc which suggested the top of the range was around 30 and the middle around 20. Must be very dependent on other factors though so extremely approximate. We left ours on 2/3 increments overnight in the peak district last week and I don't think it came on - if it did it was only briefly at around 5am. So that seems a good setting for overnight as we were not cold.
Not sure if all this helps much!
Helps a lot
Did the same last weekend as you...never came on, in the depths of the night it was 17c in hab area

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Wonder have any Elddis “whale” users managed to suss out what the increments on the temperature control panel relate to in celsius
( roughly)
Don’t think that there is any direct correlation. The markings are descriptions of the heat output, rather than an interior temperature controlI, I believe.

That means that in mild weather you will have to select a lower indicator to avoid being too hot and vice versa for cold weather.

A very basic set-up but, having suffered heating systems that have such complicated electronic controls that they consistently failed, requiring reset, we like the simple system.

The system is noisy on start-up but settles down as the temperature comes up. It has always kept us toasty warm and we can run it on low during the night, if necessary, without it disturbing us,

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Yes historically I've had Truma and was impressed (at point of sale) by the options, certainly on the Swift select....repented at leisure with it's unreliability

The Whale is very basic, but as you eluded to, just seems to work

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
Relatively new to this system myself so at night, before bed, I was dropping the thermostat control back to Night time setting ( half moon emoji - 500watts) and, having a thermometer adjacent to the controller , noted that it appeared to come on when the van temperature reached about 55 degrees F. One night during this Summer it came on in the early hours and appeared to stay on right through ( I was zonked but wife said anytime she woke up it was running). I also noted that when the temperature is about 72 in the van and if wife request a boost, I bump it up to within 3 bars of the top end, it's usually enough to get the heating to cut in for a while.

At night I also set the hot water to the frost setting as there's enough heat generated at that to give warm water, if you need it. One observation is that, I've never had to move the water heater to anything but setting one. The blasted water is always mad hot.

Finally I do have one issue with the heater (and its been back to the dealer because of it) and that is the "over pressure" valve releasing periodically leading to pump chuntering (oddly enough sometimes worse at night) then it gets into an increasing cycle of release/chunter until it's coming every few minutes. The "cure" appears to be a modified valve. In the meantime I've found that switching the system off, letting it cool/reset then restarting stops the cycle. I also think switching the water heater to frost has helped too.

So first job of a morning? On with the heat and another 10 mins under the duvet.

OP
OP
Cheshirecat57

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Well, mine dies not have a temperature setting for the water, just a fuel source setting

And we turn the pump off in the night, but your phrase “ pump chunter” made me inwardly smile👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back