LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Our Rapido pvc has a whale submersible water pump.

Every time the van is drained down then re-fill a couple of weeks later, I have trouble making it work. Putting the power on just makes it buzz, but no water pumping.

In the past I've just messed about a bit and put more water in the tank + connected electric hook-up to enhance the voltage, but today I'm stuck.

When it's primed and working it's fine - but at the moment, nothing. The van is only just over 2 years old, and as said, always been tricky after filling water tank following drain down.

Problem is, I don't really understand how the pump works? Any help appreciated. Currently in southern Spain - the van is just out of storage here today.

Thanks!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Get your hand in the inspection hatch, grasp the pump when running and tap it on the tank side until water flows.
Because its an impellor pump air just gets sent round and round with the blades unless its dislodged .

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Get your hand in the inspection hatch, grasp the pump when running and tap it on the tank side until water flows.
Because its an impellor pump air just gets sent round and round with the blades unless its dislodged .
I'll have a go at that, thanks Pappajohn. It's the sort of thing that might just fix the problem. I'm sure there's probably not too much wrong with the pump, but it just won't prime! Grr...

It's been a long day, and the water tank is buried under Mrs mikebeaches' bed, which she's in at the moment, as it's almost 10.30 here!! So I'll try that in the morning.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

p-c

Free Member
Sep 13, 2013
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40 years
Hi
Would creating suction at an open tap help? The obvious is with the mouth.
Regards
p-c

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The device is a centrifugal pump. A centrifugal pump cannot suck water in, nor force it out, unless it is full of water. Air surrounding the blades prevents it doing anything. Either shake the pump up & down whilst it is running or, as suggested, suck water through an open tap. Easier still is to leave water in the tank until you're going to use the van then drain and refill. The only time you need to leave the van drained down is in Winter.

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
RESU
The device is a centrifugal pump. A centrifugal pump cannot suck water in, nor force it out, unless it is full of water. Air surrounding the blades prevents it doing anything. Either shake the pump up & down whilst it is running or, as suggested, suck water through an open tap. Easier still is to leave water in the tank until you're going to use the van then drain and refill. The only time you need to leave the van drained down is in Winter.
RESULT!! :) .:)

Wow, what invaluable help this forum is! (y)

Heartfelt thanks to all who have provided excellent advice. Pappajohn was the first to respond, and his suggestion was a winner!!

Remove inspection hatch, hand in tank, grasp submersible pump and bang hard on side of tank with power on - eventually it worked!

But now I understand the problem (and solutions) better for the future.

And I really like tonyidle's suggestion to only drain down just before re-fill, so the pump doesn't dry out! Wouldn't have thought of that.

We have based the van in Spain for winter - in a garage at Alicante - and flying backwards and forwards to use it. Had drained down 3 weeks ago because thought perhaps best not to leave water that long, though guess it would probably have been OK. Next storage period is 6 weeks, so will have a think about that...

Again, thanks to all for help - expedition back on track now. :) (y) .(y)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you research Whale pumps you'll find they make self-bleeding submersible pumps for caravans & motorhomes. Glad you got it sorted though :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
If you research Whale pumps you'll find they make self-bleeding submersible pumps for caravans & motorhomes. Glad you got it sorted though :D.
Interesting - I guess I'd have expected Rapido to specify a self-bleeding pump in the first place. ;)

But nonetheless, useful info.

Hopefully, if I spot someone else on here with similar problem, I can also share my experience - gained from other Funsters - to suggest a solution.

It certainly saved the day for us.

Cheers, Mike (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
A good idea!

I carry a spare pump I bought 4 years ago for the previous van! I just used to whack the old one against the side of the tank and never got around to fitting it.
The new spare now just sits on top of the water tank, but this pump has yet to fail.:clap2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back