We've only been and gone and done it (1 Viewer)

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Hello everyone, thanks for all your advice over the past few weeks.

Excited to tell you that after walking away from several disappointingly grotty motorhomes, we reviewed our priorities and ... bought a brand new one! We decided we just wanted to get on with it, and to have as worry-free start to motorhoming as possible. As a working couple with children, our spare time is precious and we concluded that we wanted to spend our free time using our motorhome, not looking for one or maintaining it. So we have paid our deposit on an in-stock Bailey 665 which will be ready for us in two weeks. Well aware of it drawbacks (lack of external storage etc) but loving its layout, style and general shiny newness. Feel we got a good deal, with some valuable extras added free of charge to a reduced price. All the family is really looking forward to bring Budge home (licence plate is BUJ!) Fingers crossed for minimal teething troubles, so we can head off for a test weekend then a full week, maybe even ten days in October.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Great news! Take notes at handover as you will probably forget stuff.

Where did you buy it from? Might be a good idea to try it out locally in case you need to return if you forget to kniw anything.

Good luck :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Great news! Take notes at handover as you will probably forget stuff.

Where did you buy it from? Might be a good idea to try it out locally in case you need to return if you forget to kniw anything.

Good luck :)
Thanks. Perthshire Caravans. They've been great. Planning on filming the handover!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thanks. Perthshire Caravans. They've been great. Planning on filming the handover!
I was in there yesterday or the day before (can't remember which they seem to blend in motorhome time ) have to say the guy in the accessory shop there went the extra mile to help me out with some connectors

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 747
Exp
Congrats on your new purchase, glad you found the one that suits your needs the best Perthshire were really good with us during and after our purchase. Two weeks ain't too long especially when you'll now prob spend them scouring the net for all types of accessories lol!!
Enjoy your new Moho and hope you have many years of enjoyment from it

Upvote 0

Burstner Badgers

Free Member
Dec 27, 2016
Sleaford
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo time 586
Exp
New
Congrats you will have years of fun and great memories I'm sure. We have had our Burstner Badger since March and have managed to do a total of 58 days so far since then. Hope to get a lot more in now. Good luck and enjoy

Upvote 0

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Just in time for the mid-term school break to try it out :)

We bought our first one two years ago at this time and managed to keep going until about November before the Scottish weather became too much and we couldn't stop it dumping the water (i.e. when it gets below 4 deg at night). Our biggest surprise was that, even on a day out with the kids and no overnight stop, it's proved great - we end up staying much longer wherever we go and are much more relaxed. Also, I've never added it up, but I suspect the extra diesel consumed is more than offset by the lower cost of meals and snacks :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jaymacgee

Free Member
Aug 13, 2017
Funster No
Just in time for the mid-term school break to try it out :)

We bought our first one two years ago at this time and managed to keep going until about November before the Scottish weather became too much and we couldn't stop it dumping the water (i.e. when it gets below 4 deg at night). Our biggest surprise was that, even on a day out with the kids and no overnight stop, it's proved great - we end up staying much longer wherever we go and are much more relaxed. Also, I've never added it up, but I suspect the extra diesel consumed is more than offset by the lower cost of meals and snacks :)

Thanks for your comment. Hadn't thought about day trips - interesting idea. Winter use is confusing me, the marketing blurb says it is for four season use, and the article/video below supports that, but I have heard a few stories to the contrary.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Take plenty of memory cards ( or video tapes of you are old school)
Our handover when we bought our Autosleeper was about an hour and a half, but did include a few cups of tea, biscuits and lots of questions.

Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations and enjoy your travels!
We sometimes only drive 15 miles away and stay on a site ! A change is as good as a rest they say!
Safe travels and enjoy!

Upvote 0

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Winter use is confusing me

Don't know about your Bailey but our Burstner has the fresh water tank onboard so it shouldn't freeze up normally... But there's a temperature sensor linked to the hot water system that dumps all the water from the system if the internal temperature in the van drops to much... Which makes sense as otherwise the washer heater etc would be damaged. This means in winter we need to be careful about the temperature at night or if we leave it during the day. When we're in a campsite/with hookup we leave a small electric oil radiator on to avoid eating gas.

We've also got a clip I made to keep the safety valve closed if we think there's no risk of icing up but a risk that the van might think there is.... Just have to remember to remove it!

Upvote 0

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Tha
Congratulations and enjoy your travels!
We sometimes only drive 15 miles away and stay on a site ! A change is as good as a rest they say!
Safe travels and enjoy!

That's what we often do. We have had ours for just about a year and the longest it has gone unused is 2 weeks. Torrential rain, sleet, snow, frost, whatever, we just go out and use it and ignore the weather. We have a favourite local site we go to if there is nothing else planned or go to a nice (free !) Brit Stop not far away for a bit of R&R.

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2017
Funster No
We have been in a similar position and were looking to change from a touring caravan to a motorhome, initially were going to hire one before making a decision but after looking at various layouts and options we saw an Autotrail Apache 700 at Perthshire caravans which was the layout that suited and was reduced as the last of the 2017 models. There were some older ones available but were not in great condition and still quite expensive for a 5 or 6 year old one with no warranty. Yes it was expensive but we plan to keep it for a number of years. We have already been away twice in it since picking it up and its been great so far. Looking to go to Brittany next summer and lots of other places in between. I hope you are happy with your purchase as we are.

Upvote 0

scbunurse

Free Member
Jan 17, 2018
Inverness
Funster No
MH
Test driving tomorrow !!!
Exp
Good to hear that you had good service from Perthshire caravans. We had to postpone our test drive of a Bailey Autograph yesterday because of the snow:(. Like you, we started off looking at pre-loved but have been enticed by a shiny new one. Can't wait!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back