We've done it - shakedown trip done (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Yes we have Spent a short 3 nights on Anglesey

First night we planned to use a Pub stop just off the island at Tal-Y-Bont we got there to find it shut up and anyway the car park where you should have been able to park just wasn't big enough

So off we went to Llanddona Beach only to take the wrong 25% hill down to it there are three one is 35% and the other two are quite narrow but supposedly accessible
so three quarter of the way down we got to a corner just too tight to get round safely we scrapped the rear wheel arches and the Truma water heater vent went for a burton

So we got to the beach where the parking is brilliant there's even toilets and a wide open beach to wander and you get 4G and HD TV signal too
So Ebay checked out new vent and cover ordered from Caratech they arrived about an hour after us today so easily fitted then down to the local car spares got some filler and paint - areas scuffed already filled but just too cold for me to finish so left that for tomorrow

Got a little list for the dealer
electric step not working
cutlery drawer has broken

We moved on from Llanddona Beach to a nice little CL called Pen Y Llyn at Llanfair Yn Neubwll (the CL is next to a small friendly site with 10 pitches both owned by the same people and both charge the same for identical facilities [hardstanding/water/drain/10amp electric] ) which is just off the end of RAF Valley runway which for me was great which meant we didn't need an alarm clock as flying starts around 8 - 8:30 am
We did try to do a few Geocaches but none were wheelchair friendly which meant 20 within 400 metres and none found (not happy)

All in did almost 350 miles at 24mpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Well you might as well get it out of the way early, they all get scraped sometime. I can assure you that Welsh walls hate English MHs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear of your scrape but you seem to be sorted .
More to the point did you enjoy it ?! And do you think you've made the right decision?!(y)

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I use my iPad as my satnav and it's been brilliant so far.

One thing I do is to do a quick recce of my route when heading into places like those you've mentioned. I use the map, then the satalite view, followed by Google Earth street view and walk the route online to see the challenges ahead and the suitability to take a larger motorhome. Then you can make any decisions on where you go.

Just thought I'd mention it:)

Good luck with the repairs and future travels, keep us all posted:)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We'll that sounds a bit like a baptism of fire - but you sound quite cheerful about it so I guess you survived and had a good trip! Bad luck getting into scrapes; well done getting back out of them, which is what matters. Happy future travels (y)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The results of my first real outing. Too narrow on a bend and didn't allow for the overhang "swing out" and hit a stable wall. :rolleyes: As long as you enjoyed yourself(y) Didn't report it either:cautious::cautious:
IMG_0594.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 19

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Well done @Madcaravanner - that's one more of us and one less of them :)

Pretty much everything that stuck out of our first MH either needed replacing or was lost forever after a few trips, especially those ruddy stupid square top marker lights. I used to carry spare wing mirror glass with me as a precaution - anyone who's ever negotiated the main street in Bala with its diagonal parking bays will know why.

I've just finished an e-mail to the warranty department of the dealership that supplied our new MH, as a few issues have surfaced on our French shakedown jaunt. Nothing huge, but teething problems are par for the course with new vehicles.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It's what you get if you use them to the full, anyone can have a pristine new motorhome sitting on the drive:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And lets face it.. If nowt goes wrong then the trip is soon forgotten !
A mishap keeps a trip in the memory for quite a while.. :)
Soonest said soonest mended and sounds like you have it all well in hand any way .. Well done you guys (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back