Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
just gotten cloths out of wardrobes for tonight and they are wet we've been away for three days the walls of the wardrobe are wet is this normal also 10min after automatically swapping from petrol to LPG engine cuts out on idle have to hold on petrol for longer only just started happening happy new year to one and all eddie&diane

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
calor gas, propane or whatever releases a lot of water whilst burning so if you have had the heating on a lot, then that water will condense on the cooler parts of the van. I.E. wardrobes

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I don't agree with wildman, your heating uses a heat exchanger, non of the water bearing flue gases enter the van. The only water you get from propane is from the hob and oven.

Your RV has insulated walls so if they a wet it looks more like you have roof leak, I believe this was a problem on some Hurricanes with the EPDM seals leaking, possibly around the front or rear caps or roof vents.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with Olley.. been living in ours for over two years.. never seen damp wardrobes or walls, the only damp place is the shower cubicle .. when it's in use .. :roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you are both right of course, never checked what van you had and replied as if it was my 100yr old beast with direct heating (if it worked), hee hee.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
And I'm afraid I don't totally agree with Olley - I think that in the current cold spell, you might have more of a problem with condensation than leaking. Do you leave the wardrobe doors open a little bit to allow air flow through - are the walls of your wardrobe very cold from the outside...... I think you should try leaving the doors open for a while to 'warm' up the cupboard then see what happens.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi steerside what sort of LPG conversion do you have, Gas carb or multipoint?

If its a gas carb it sounds as if it just needs adjusting.

Olley

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
hi olley i think its a multi point alls i know it was 4k on top of the price one problem is fixed another develops so back in it goes under 8 months old only been usable for 8weeks

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Steerside, only 8 months old, then you may not have a EPDM roof they changed to TPO in 07 (Thermoplastic Olefin ) see this thread Link Removed

Their doesn't seem to be anything definite about whether you should be able to start on LPG or not, mine does but I know others don't, it not necessarily a fault just maybe down to engine type, installation or conversion manufacturer.

The liquid LPG goes in to a water heated vapouriser near the engine, as it vapourises it sucks heat from the walls of the vapouriser, if it can't get enough because the water hasn't been heated sufficiently by the engine, it won't vapourise.

The water take off from the engine is important in this respect, put it in the wrong place and you won't get a very good flow, meaning that it may take longer before you can switch to LPG from petrol.

On mine they broke in to the hot water tank feed, (on a Winnie your hot water tank is heated by the engine as you drive) the drawback is my hot water doesn't get very hot now after driving. :Doh:

Olley

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: firstly not sure as to the lpg system so will stay out of that one :ROFLMAO: but on the condensation bit here's my two-penerth :ROFLMAO:
condensation will form on any cold surface where the warm air hits a cold surface :thumb:
to eliminate this you will have to feel the wall inside the wardrobe (after drying with paper towel) if it feels cold compared to the rest of the wall,then leave the door open so that heat can get at it.:thumb:If that cures the problem :thumb: but if not look at sticking some radiator backing foil on the wall to stop hot /cold surfaces ::bigsmile:If that fails :Eeek: then start looking for roof leaks :whatthe::Eeek: As already been suggested try to eliminate all sources of water vapour ie cooking / shower by opening windows etc, while using :thumb:
terry

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
10min after automatically swapping from petrol to LPG engine cuts out on idle have to hold on petrol for longer only just started happening
I had a similar problem in the winter on my multi-point LPG injection system, in my F150 pickup, and while it was in for a service I got the mechanic to adjust the changeover point so that it took slightly longer before it switched to gas. That solved the problem. It mainly happens when the outside air is cold (and therefore the LPG is cold) and there is not enough residual heat in the engine to overcome this (as Olley mentions). The engine suddenly cuts out when idleing, which can be a bit of a pain when you slow down as you come up to a junction and then just as you are about to pull away it stalls. The solution prior to getting it adjusted is that when it is very cold, switch to petrol only (i.e. switch the gas off) when you start the engine and then when you see the engine temp gauge approaching normal operating temp switch to gas (normally takes about 5-10 mins depending on the weather).

OP
OP
Family Guy

Family Guy

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
runcorn
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2001
thanks if i leave on on petrol for 5/10 min its fine so will do that in the cold
as for wardrobes never had this happen on European vans but dried the walls and they are very cold just cant get over the amount of condensation, with the heating on the rear of the van is like toast but the heating outlet for the front of coach is at the kitchen so living area is like a fridge but thanks for all the useful information

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back