Wet tank water hose recommendations. (1 Viewer)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi All,
looking for recommendations on water hose for filling up the fresh wet tank. My old three tube type roll is kaput, as in the bores are just too small for sites with low(ish) pressures - it would be quicker to fill with plastic cups.
I have seen these 'expandable' types on ebay, but wondered how good they are. My current one lays flat on a reel and as long as you have the next three weeks to fill up, then it's great - but I do like the compactness of it and that's what I am looking for - take up the least amount of room whilst at least being functional.

What types do you use/recommend.

Thanks and regards,

Trikeman. (y)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
and Lidl had them (20m) on offer last week for £6.99 incl some fittings.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
I have a standard garden hose, a blue food grade hose and now carry a 10 litre new plastic watering can.
Once borrowed an expandable one when my hose would not reach and it was quite good, if i was to get another it would be one of the expandable ones.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was lucky and picked up a couple of food grade hoses from a local bankrupt stock shop a few years ago. they must of had at least a couple of pallets of them because they were in stock over a year. a bargain too at £6 each

point being, if you dont go to a camping/motorhome/boating shop, there are much cheaper sources

oh and as for the expanding hoses, every one I have tried for the garden and car washing split after a handfull of uses. then they couldn't be fixed as inside they are little more than a polythene tube covered in fabric......total rubbish and waste of money (would be different if they worked reliably as described)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
forgot to add, normal garden hose taints the water and leaches carcinogens and should not be used for drinking water

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I use good quality garden hose and have also worked on the basis that I never let water remain in it and flush it out before use and the water is in it for such a little amount of time that it wouldn't be a problem.

Perhaps I need to review that policy in the light of the above post?

I agree that the collapsible hoses are hopeless and burst after very little use. Mine burst at the first time of using. I also have the blue water quality triple flat hosepipe in a yellow reel which is also useless because the flow of water is too restricted when using bornes in Europe and the reel is a piece of junk! Only now use in an emergency or if my garden hose is not long enough!

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Food grade flat hose as sold by caravan dealers is expensive and it usually only lasts a few seasons before it has a lot of leaks.. IMO .. waste of money..

Garden hose is what I have used for years, but alegedly can taint the water, although I've never had that issue .. the argument about it does / doesn't has been going on for years.. also that it can leach carcinogenics into the water.. true/false.. I don't know.

But if buying new hose why not buy a round reinforced food grade PVC hose as used in industry.. ?

example here on ebay , It's what I'm buying to replace my garden hose and it's no more expensive than flat food grade hose.. in fact I think it is cheaper at £22 for 20mt of 1/2" or £30 for 3/4 "

I've just ordered 25mt of 1/2" ... £25.99 delivered

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I used expandable one for about 12 months seems ok, off ebay 50ft extended

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Used yellow garden hose for 13 years, always drink water from tank
(using a cup of course). No water filters. On our 4th motorhome and never noticed a taint. And the wife often complains about chlorine in water at but no problems in motorhome.

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Food grade flat hose as sold by caravan dealers is expensive and it usually only lasts a few seasons before it has a lot of leaks.. IMO .. waste of money..

Garden hose is what I have used for years, but alegedly can taint the water, although I've never had that issue .. the argument about it does / doesn't has been going on for years.. also that it can leach carcinogenics into the water.. true/false.. I don't know.

But if buying new hose why not buy a round reinforced food grade PVC hose as used in industry.. ?

example here on ebay , It's what I'm buying to replace my garden hose and it's no more expensive than flat food grade hose.. in fact I think it is cheaper at £22 for 20mt of 1/2" or £30 for 3/4 "

Broken Link Removed
Problem with clear hose is possibility of algae forming in damp hose if not kept in total darkness.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Problem with clear hose is possibility of algae forming in damp hose if not kept in total darkness.

yes.. that thought crossed my mind.. if kept in a locker or garage I can't see that being an issue, and on the plus side.. when it's dirty you can see it..

also easily kept clean by flushing every so often with water and bleach

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a reel of yellow hose in my garage (the house one) which is used for watering and car washing. It is permanently attached to the tap and so is left full of water between uses. When first turned on the water is frothy as if it has some detergent substance in it, which has presumably been leached from the hose in storage. It doesn't matter for the purposes it's used for but I wouldn't use it to fill up the MH tank. I have three food grade hoses, the longest one being a lay flat on a reel which I have had for several years and it hasn't leaked yet. It's true it hasn't been used much as the shorter ones or the watering can are more often used.

glenm

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Mobile full timer Garstang
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I have used an expandable bought from ideal world for the last 18months not cheap but does what the add says expands contracts is very light and fits into a bag
Cheers
James

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Broken Link Removed

I'm very pleased with my new hose.. :)

I cut it into two lengths , 8mt and 17mt (very aprox)

which gives the option of three different lengths to use as required..

it's top quality reinforced PVC food grade hose, very flexible and easy to coil ..
no more expensive than quality garden hose..

$_12.JPG

will store in a black bag to inhibit algae growth

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Back in 2010 I bought 30 metres of 1/2 inch black PVC braided food-grade hose from these people for just under £30 inc VAT (I was able to call in so no delivery charge to pay).
http://www.karlindustrieslimited.co.uk/home

I cut 5 metre and 10 metre lengths and fitted connectors so I have short, medium and long hose options. The hose is very durable but has the slight disadvantage that it is quite stiff. I keep the two lengths joined and rolled on a Hozelok garden hose reel. Probably a bit too big for many, but with a decent garage on the Hymer, storage is not a problem for me. (I also have 15 metres spare in the loft in case the present service hose breaks down / gets tainted with gunge / gets lost.)

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
When I got my van someone gave me a roll along water barrel. Thought I'd never use it. Then I thought what if I can't get near the water source? I got a submersable pump and ftted a switch and exteded the lead to reach the sockets so I can trasfer the water to the main tank. Bit of a faff I know, but I have a lot of room and was especially thinking of the fuentas in Spain.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When I got my van someone gave me a roll along water barrel. Thought I'd never use it. Then I thought what if I can't get near the water source? I got a submersable pump and ftted a switch and exteded the lead to reach the sockets so I can trasfer the water to the main tank. Bit of a faff I know, but I have a lot of room and was especially thinking of the fuentas in Spain.

reminds of my caravan days.. still have an Aquaroll in the shed..

nowadays, if the tap is too far away for the hose I use a plastic watering can..

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Use to carry one if the hoses on a cassette, got fed up trying to rewind as it never seemed to flatten enough. Then had 2 separate lengths of food grade hose, they were ok. I now use one of the expandable ones and it is great, takes up no space and I have a little bag of fittings to cover most options.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back