Wet dogs (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know that many of us have our best friends with us when we go away, but I have a serious question, if it is continually raining, & it’s not always possible to dry your most favourite companion, he or she, or even they start to smell a bit wifey at times in a small Motorhome.
What do you use to combat this odour, that is pet safe and tried & tested.

OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank al of you guys , for some great tips.
I will be on the net looking for some of it, later.
STAY SAFE in this crazy world, all. !!!
Until the next one.
Gents

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Wicklow Town, Ireland
Funster No
MH
2020 Avantgarde 175
Exp
A good few years
Winter is challenging alright with dogs in the Motorhome but we manage pretty well....I'm the one washing and rinsing them down outside the van, I then towel dry them pretty well and pass them in whilst Mirela gives them a final check over and dry down.....works for us and doesn't take too long 🙂
20200314_152854.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

PrettyandFluffy

Free Member
May 17, 2019
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote G730
Exp
About 5 years
Thanks, All, Me & the boss (Boss, that is in our eyes ,not the dog’s) , are soft as muck and end up taking his bed with us, which is v thick & padded, it’s that , that I caught a whiff of, which made me write this thread, without running it through a washing machine & drying it completely it gives off quite an odour. I’m afraid, I love my dog (that’s an understatement, if ever there was one), and previous dogs just lay on a mat, but we seem to be falling for that old marketing ploy, it’s cruel, not to give him a full blown, feather bed. Perhaps I might have to change it for a mat. When first got him as a pup, we needed a place to make him lay down, he got used to “In your box”, then as he filled out we got soft, in came the nice soft cuddly stretch out bed,
I can hear you saying. “MUG”.😂
Our two dogs have beds in the motorhome, the same as the beds they have at home. All beds are lined with fleece blankets which trap the mud & debris and are very easy to wash and dry (washed after every trip). I buy the blankets in charity shops, usually very cheaply. We also keep a large towel in the motorhome for rubbing the dogs down when wet/muddy/sandy, before they're allowed back in.

For anything other than day trips I book them in at the groomers before we go, they are far better at removing all traces of pong than we can achieve at home.
I am very sensitive to the smell of stinky dog and refuse to put up with it in a confined space!

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I know that many of us have our best friends with us when we go away, but I have a serious question, if it is continually raining, & it’s not always possible to dry your most favourite companion, he or she, or even they start to smell a bit wifey at times in a small Motorhome.
As well as the ruff and tumble coat which is great for drying but then takes a while to dry itself, we use an equafleece body suit which she wears when she goes out and which absorbs all the dirt and water leaving her dry and clean underneath. Quick wash at 30 degrees or by hand and dries really quickly. Wears it everyday at the moment

Upvote 0

Manannan

Free Member
Jun 4, 2019
Funster No
MH
Majestic 255
Exp
Since Feb 18
It’s Ruff and Tumble for me, the dogs come out dry, much better than towels. They are double layered and really well made👍🏻

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2013
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
We also use dry dog bags...not only do they dry your dogs but any mud etc rubs off in the bag too. Its hard work when it’s wet but using these and drying paws every time prevents most of the smell. We also take spare beds (we use vet bed and waterproof beds in the van) and a lot of towels

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Ours is large and will go in her dry coat as well as dried with towels, has her own space by drivers seat in van to sleep at night after half an hour on our sitting area in evening, other than that she has her own bed outside, so she can see what’s going on, adores water but does not like being washed.she runs a mile from abowel of water or a hosepipe.

Upvote 0

Herbyventures

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp
We use a Mud Daddy for paw and leg cleaning (though when our Aussie rolled in a cow pat while we were camping I admit we used the pitch water tap and Head and Shoulders on him, it was all we had!) And we use deodorising pet wipes or a spray on deodorant when needed, such as Animology Stink Bomb. Pets at Home used to do an excellent one with Byotrol in it, but they no longer do it, I think Byotrol has been bought out for exclusive use in some other product. I agree with whoever said Labradors are especially whiffy!

Upvote 0

Clive and Sally

Free Member
Sep 20, 2019
NW Snowdonia
Funster No
MH
C Class Mobilvetta
Exp
Since earlier this year
As well as the ruff and tumble coat which is great for drying but then takes a while to dry itself, we use an equafleece body suit which she wears when she goes out and which absorbs all the dirt and water leaving her dry and clean underneath. Quick wash at 30 degrees or by hand and dries really quickly. Wears it everyday at the moment
We've got 3 miniature smoothed haired Dachshunds & also have the Equafleece Polartec fleeces for them. We find they are superb, easy to wash & quick to dry, ideal for any dog with little legs.
Also for bedding we use vetbed as it's very comfortable for them & again easy to wash & dry as well as being virtually indestructible! Attached is a photo of Margo in her fleece laying in a piece of vetbed.

Cheers

Clive
IMG_20200906_164400739.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
Wifey? Hope you mean whiffy, otherwise you could be in deep trouble !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back