Wet dogs (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know that many of us have our best friends with us when we go away, but I have a serious question, if it is continually raining, & it’s not always possible to dry your most favourite companion, he or she, or even they start to smell a bit wifey at times in a small Motorhome.
What do you use to combat this odour, that is pet safe and tried & tested.

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
We have a lab that will find the smelliest puddle or pond in a desert, and disappears as soon as clean water arrives to clean her down. We have an external shower point to clean her off and a number of microfibre towels to rub her down that we then dry in the bathroom with roof light open. We also have a hairdryer we can use on site if on EHU. Then to cap it off she gets a squirt of Pawfume (from pet store and pet safe) to make her smell good.
We also have a shark cordless Vac for daily cleaning with fabreeze spray.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I too have a dog that loves finding mud and muck (fox poo🥴). I carry a ‘Mud Daddy’ to wash him down and a selection of towels. He also has a towel that zips up like a bag with him in it but obviously with his head out😀 This ensures he dries off nicely without wetting every seat he chooses to jump on!! I also carry a dog cologne. All this is possible in my PVC as he is a small breed - JR x as per my avatar. I usually dry his towel by placing next to the boiler which is under the bed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Dogs with dense undercoats do chuck up a fair bit. In my experience Labs especially can be quite fruity :D We'd never had a Long Haired GSD before and that was a surprise benefit. Very little undercoat and no offensive odour at all. In fact, after a lifetime of dog ownership this is the first dog I've never had to bath. She's 4 this year and never seen shampoo. Everyone mentions how nice her coat is.

She does like a dunk in the sea though, so maybe that helps

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
I know that many of us have our best friends with us when we go away, but I have a serious question, if it is continually raining, & it’s not always possible to dry your most favourite companion, he or she, or even they start to smell a bit wifey at times in a small Motorhome.
I too have a dog that loves finding mud and muck (fox poo🥴). I carry a ‘Mud Daddy’ to wash him down and a selection of towels. He also has a towel that zips up like a bag with him in it but obviously with his head out😀 This ensures he dries off nicely without wetting every seat he chooses to jump on!! I also carry a dog cologne. All this is possible in my PVC as he is a small breed - JR x as per my avatar. I usually dry his towel by placing next to the boiler which is under the bed.
Thanks, All, Me & the boss (Boss, that is in our eyes ,not the dog’s) , are soft as muck and end up taking his bed with us, which is v thick & padded, it’s that , that I caught a whiff of, which made me write this thread, without running it through a washing machine & drying it completely it gives off quite an odour. I’m afraid, I love my dog (that’s an understatement, if ever there was one), and previous dogs just lay on a mat, but we seem to be falling for that old marketing ploy, it’s cruel, not to give him a full blown, feather bed. Perhaps I might have to change it for a mat. When first got him as a pup, we needed a place to make him lay down, he got used to “In your box”, then as he filled out we got soft, in came the nice soft cuddly stretch out bed,
I can hear you saying. “MUG”.😂

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gents - have you tried spraying the dog bed with Fabreeze or similar? Not sure the dog will thank you but the van should smell better😂
Yes, tried that but, (there are 3 of us, 1 of us, 🦴,didn’t like the aroma, , Years ago, I was given a tip, which works brilliantly. Sprinkle Bi Carb powder in whiffy teenage trainers, I wonder if that might work. Just remembered that. 🙃.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just strap her to the roof till she's dry! ( Joking) yes smelly dog ours has two coats a soft under and a wire outer coat, we tend to clip her which helps but let it grow for winter, its like walking round with blotting paper at times! External shower point, microfibre towels and a good dog shampoo.

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Converted transit
Exp
I can highly recommend both Cooper and Gracie and For all dog kind products. the Cooper and Gracie itch relief smells of cloves and although designed for skin problems certainly would'nt hurt.
For all dog kind are essential oil based and take the edge off.
For carpet/surfaces I've found Formula H and Petguard disinfectants effective at odour elimination, but a test area is advisable.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Razamataz, like that, thank you, we learn something every day. Ours may become a first with a dog foot bath, on tow!!!😂like we used to have to walk through before entering the public swim pool.

Upvote 0

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Razamataz, like that, thank you, we learn something every day. Ours may become a first with a dog foot bath, on tow!!!😂like we used to have to walk through before entering the public swim pool.
I had seen these advertised might be useful in summer months as well as winter ?? We also use a Timber Wolfe extreme basket which you can blast down with water. Thinking of it the dog has more kit than us 🤔

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I also have the ‘paw plunger’ gizmo which works well. However as my muttly has such short legs I find his under carriage needs washing hence getting the ‘Mud Daddy’.

Upvote 0

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We put a fleece blanket over the cushion in our Springer’s bed , & that can be washed & dried very easily on the road!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
77B629B2-2AC5-4E4C-BEC5-AF2B1410EC4E.jpeg

We put ours in this until she’s dry(ish) but she’s never been a very smelly sort of dog tbh

Upvote 0
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
So which smells the worst? Lots of tips for the dog, what about the wife?

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Did you mean wifey or whiffy? The difference could be very damaging to your person and not to be recommended in these times with hospitals under pressure already. :giggle:

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
We have a DogRobe for ours, a towelling bath robe . Dries on the dog and never smells. Still have to use small towels for head, tail and legs. Prefer it to the bag type. Can also be used in hot weather by damping and using as a cool coat. Works as a ”thunder coat” during thunder storms and firework.

Bicarb sprinkled on beds sound a good idea, together with giving the mattress a good brushing and hanging outside if possible to air. Wouldn’t use febreze or anything like it as some chemicals can cause allergic reactions.

11DD4777-965E-42CB-A436-CFDA6B77FF3C.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
I had seen these advertised might be useful in summer months as well as winter ?? We also use a Timber Wolfe extreme basket which you can blast down with water. Thinking of it the dog has more kit than us 🤔
Love the dexus mud buster, i think that is not a “Must have”, but a “Foolish not to have”.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We put ours in this until she’s dry(ish) but she’s never been a very smelly sort of dog tbh
we do the same towelling bag zipped up works a treat on our Spaniel and Terrier👍😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Did you mean wifey or whiffy? The difference could be very damaging to your person and not to be recommended in these times with hospitals under pressure already. :giggle:
Hey! apart from the typo on Whiffy, I checked it over, I met my wife during a Mud Wrestling contest in Kurdistan, I have always been labelled as “handy” but not flipping “Stupid”. She talks, I quiver!🤭

Upvote 0
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
they start to smell a bit wifey at times in a small Motorhome.
Not quite sure if you intended to be sexist in this thread????
Perhaps you meant whiffie! a little less sexist!

Upvote 0

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Keep the coat short (just done the Cocker and the Irish Terrier last week) and we always bucket wash ours before they can get in the van although this Autumn i did use the Karcher OC3 on both and it worked quite well (less water and clean dogs) then we just towel dry them as much as we can. We cover all the sofa areas with throws that are tightly stretched over the base cushions and these are washed after every trip.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back