Wet Cab Floor Insulation Ducato X2/50 2007 (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Hi

While fitting a Sterling B2B the other day, I noticed that insulation under the cab plastic matting was wet. I noticed this while I had the engine battery cover off - you could see the wetness in the foam. The insulation is for sound-proofing rather than heat retention - its the green speckled stuff.

Anyone got any idea's where this might be coming from? I have a few ideas:

- Condensation running off the inside of the windscreen down the back of the dash and into the floor

- Poor sealing around a wheel arch meaning that driving in wet weather forces water inside

- From the void under the wiper motor?

- From the heater matrix

Van has no air-con so its not condensation coming off the air-con pipes.

Anyone else suffered similar and located the source?

Nigel

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a similar problem on an older Ducato many years ago. It was eventually found to be due to a badly fitted windscreen. 'Luckily' :roflmto: the screen cracked and after refitting no problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just an idea.....

i had this problem on a car a few years ago.
it was water leaving the windscreen scuttle via the drain tube which went into the wing area.
this was running onto the radio aerial coax where it entered the cabin through the inner wing.

the rubber entry grommet had dislodged and left a 1/2" hole allowing all the water to run down the coax into the footwell.

also worth checking the drain tubes arent blocked and water is filling the scuttle void to a point where there may be a cable entry point or similar into the cab.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V
Aug 27, 2008
Stirling, Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I think I found it

Hi

I think I have located the leak, but if I am correct then I am surprised that others have not had similar. Its been very very wet this last couple of weeks here in Scotland, resulting in many road-side ponds. Looks like driving through puddles has forced water up, and through the wheelarch where there are some wee plastic bits sticking down. The plastic bits are used to secure cables and provide a fixing for some interior trim.

More info inc pic here: tribby.co.uk • View topic - Water Ingress (Roof Bars Again)

I'll test it with a hose, dry it out, seal it up and check that it does not return...

Nigel

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back