Western Isles MH and bike tour (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We love the western isles, but this years trip didn't do it for us, a number of reasons, but I had said 'that's it were have done these islands now, never again'

Only been back for just over a week, had a massive change of heart and come up with this plan

Cycle the Hebridean Way, top to bottom or bottom to top, or maybe even both :)(y)

Various ideas went through our head in first few hours of thinking, one funster suggested camping and he meant I think real carry it yourself tents :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Then thought about parking at top or bottom in MH and cycling down and back or up and down, but then remembered this would involve hotel nights, (the tent really will not happen :)) checked for a hotel we once used in Benbecula and another on Lewis, now remember our MH is parked at a maximum of 130 miles away at any point of the trip and a lot less for most of it, so the northern in me (lived here for 35 years but think I have always been a northerner at heart) said no way am I paying that much to sleep when I have nearly as good, possibly better parked so close

So …….

We now have a new plan (y)(y)(y)(y)

this could be open for a few to join us but maybe not too many as we might make Sally traffic for road hold ups :LOL:

We are going to work out a route that allows us to do around 15 miles each way from a camp site where our MH will be parked, so a 30 mile or so loop each day, we can go 15 miles south and back one day then 15 miles north and back north the next, then drive around 30 miles north and do same again (y)

Not done the maths or even checked the maps carefully yet, but I reckon about 6 sites and 12 days should do it nicely

Next May possibly, but this brings in a recurring sadness, we know that there is no way Lola could cope with this many miles a day, a bike trailer may actually still be an option :), but more likely that by then 11 1/2 years she will have walked her last walk with us :(, so the trip may just get delayed until such time as we don't have to make such hard decisions

But already it would seem like our entire younger family might be taking part (y), both daughters with husbands, eldest with Yvonne their MH, youngest daughter in tent, grandsons will be 2, 2 and 4 by then, plus Charlie the 7 year old Pointer and Kevin the 3 year old beagle, it should be fun :)(y)

Some interesting winter planning to come :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have also discussed this, and while we would love to do the whole route, came to the same conclusion..

Plan several base camps and day trips out ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
so planning commences, day 1 or last day depending on the north to south or south to north options

upload_2018-9-23_20-30-52.png

not sure if this mileage includes the ferry journey as well, it looks more miles than I thought o_O maybe OK for day 1, not day 12 (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
:LOL: I kept scrolling back up as I read it thinking "this can't be Davids thread" but every time I looked it was, enjoy(y) but forget putting Lola in a trailer and you have already sensibly forgotten the tent idea.

Martin

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
:LOL: I kept scrolling back up as I read it thinking "this can't be Davids thread" but every time I looked it was, enjoy(y) but forget putting Lola in a trailer and you have already sensibly forgotten the tent idea.

Martin
not just me then:LOL:

still, @DavidG58 gives you plenty of time to get some practice in..... I love the idea in theory though:LOL:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Martin

not just me then:LOL:

still, @DavidG58 gives you plenty of time to get some practice in..... I love the idea in theory though:LOL:

many thanks both :)

the thread will also involve purchasing a heavy duty electric road bike, or apparently a Hybrid as my youngest said I 'need'

30 mile range on electrics a must :LOL:

Last edited:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
many thanks both :)

the tread will also involve purchasing a heavy duty electric road bike, or apparently a Hybrid as my youngest said I 'need'

30 mile range on electrics a must :LOL:

Ah....here's me thinking you were going to be all lycra'd up:LOL: are you sure you're not better buying a Griffmobile Piaggio 3 wheel jobby?:D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
David Lorraine phoned me the other day to day she just watched the programme about cycling the Hebridian way and said she's like to do it.
We did the outer Hebrides for her 40th and she will be 50 next April so might do this for her birthday :)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Could be fun David, sounds like you have a plan.....
But we wouldn’t do it. :shake:
We saw quite a few people out on pushbikes , proper ones too, not the electric might as well be on a moped ones ;)
We also saw a two sets of blokes on tandems. Complete with stereo and music to keep them going:D
Infact we heard them before we saw them !

I Imagine on lovely nice flat roads and long sunny days , peddling along it’d be bliss.
But not wanting to be a Debby downer , how would you cope with those very strong winds , belting rain or biting midges that we know can be just one of those things that happen on some visits.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Ralph-n-Bev

now then Debby Downer :) you could also become my other Debby :)(y), although my other Debby I like to think of as a Debbie (y)

The only real 'hill' is on Harris and it is only up hill on one side :)

Wind is good, provided it is behind (y)

Belting rain and midges can never occur together (y)

part of the plan is that the MH will provide refuge for bad days, we can take a duvet day if needed, several even (y)

but in May the conditions are always perfect :)(y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
With your luck.

Day 1: puncture.
Day 2: puncture, realise left patch at d1 place.
Day 3: chain snaps.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not really my colour Bev / Ralph / Debby :)(y)

upload_2018-9-23_22-18-26.png

and not at all sure about the pinny bit in the middle :LOL:

do yours have that feature :)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
What a brilliant idea, I don’t think the midges will be a problem as you will be pedalling so quickly they won’t stand a chance.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Could be fun David, sounds like you have a plan.....
But we wouldn’t do it. :shake:
We saw quite a few people out on pushbikes , proper ones too, not the electric might as well be on a moped ones ;)
We also saw a two sets of blokes on tandems. Complete with stereo and music to keep them going:D
Infact we heard them before we saw them !

I Imagine on lovely nice flat roads and long sunny days , peddling along it’d be bliss.
But not wanting to be a Debby downer , how would you cope with those very strong winds , belting rain or biting midges that we know can be just one of those things that happen on some visits.

Have you been at the gin again?

Hardly :LOL: and as I said, I love the idea, I just didn't think lycra was something I'd ever see David in:rolleyes: go on @DavidG58 you'll prove me wrong now and go for it big time under the hunter brown mosquito suit won't you:rolleyes:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Ralph-n-Bev

now then Debby Downer :) you could also become my other Debby :)(y), although my other Debby I like to think of as a Debbie (y)

The only real 'hill' is on Harris and it is only up hill on one side :)

Wind is good, provided it is behind (y)

Belting rain and midges can never occur together (y)

part of the plan is that the MH will provide refuge for bad days, we can take a duvet day if needed, several even (y)

but in May the conditions are always perfect :)(y)
Doesn't sound like a holiday to me!!
#justsaying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back