Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Hi, we're planning to do the West side of the NC500 in September in a 7.5m MH, reading some negative reviews on the roads and passing places, has any one done the West side in a 7.5 MH that could offer any helpful advice ???

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Most single track roads in Scotland have frequent passing places so aren't much of a problem from that point of view. You should learn how to use passing places correctly: the most frequent areas of getting it wrong are easily avoided -
[1] if you're pulling in to wait for oncoming traffic, always pull in on the LEFT whether the passing place is on the left or the right
[2] if faster traffic comes up behind you, signal left and pull in at the next available passing place.

There's lots of useful (but so simple!) information available online eg:

http://www.scotlandinfo.eu/driving-single-track-roads-in-scotland/
and my favourite:

Tezza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2008
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 286
Exp
around 26 years
Hi, we did the route last year in a 7mtr van and had no issue at all, the roads are fine, even the single track roads are fine as most people who use them understand the rules of passing, if you have a queue behind you let them pass, they will toot to thank you.

In fact we are going again in two weeks time to do it again as we passed through fairly quickly last year and now we are going to take our time, starting in Ullapool.

If I remember correctly the road goes to single track across the top towards Durness but as we are sat high up you can see for miles in places so can anticipate on coming traffic.

No need to worry, it's a great place, just remember to allow enough time between journeys to admire the views but don't use the passing places to stop, frowned upon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Did it a few weeks ago in my Swift which is 7.5m long, managed no problem though there are a few narrow and single-track roads with passing places. The Applecross bealach na ba pass was fairly steep in places but did it early doors around 10am so I had no problems unlike @Wendo55 and her lady crew who did it a couple of weeks earlier and had a little bit reversing to do! :pray:

OP
OP
Pand1958

Pand1958

Free Member
Jun 7, 2017
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 75-2
Exp
I'm new
Great thanks for the replies, we'll give it a go :D

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No probs at all in that size of van, go for it you'll love it

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We are also hoping to get up there on the West side after my hernia op.
Hopefully in around 3 weeks time :) depending on recovery time.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We are also hoping to get up there on the West side after my hernia op.
Hopefully in around 3 weeks time :) depending on recovery time.
You should be up and about pretty soon, first couple of days are the worst then it eases off I'm off the painkillers now and pretty much able to move around as I was before just have to be careful of sudden movements etc.
I drove my small van yesterday for the first time and without issue or discomfort, I'm hoping to set off with the motorhome the end of next week.
Been avoiding lifting but otherwise almost back to normal thankfully

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The Applecross bealach na ba pass was fairly steep in places but did it early doors around 10am so I had no problems unlike @Wendo55 and her lady crew who did it a couple of weeks earlier and had a little bit reversing to do! :pray:

@Pand1958, with the exception of the Pass o Cattle (Bealach an Ba), all other roads are easily manageable.

Ian

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Did it a few weeks ago in my Swift which is 7.5m long, managed no problem though there are a few narrow and single-track roads with passing places. The Applecross bealach na ba pass was fairly steep in places but did it early doors around 10am so I had no problems unlike @Wendo55 and her lady crew who did it a couple of weeks earlier and had a little bit reversing to do! :pray:
We did it from Applecross to the east and must have chosen the busiest time! Unfortunately at the sharpest hairpin bend I met 4 vehicles coming up together towards me! Think I would have struggled coming up to get my 7.1m van around the left hand bend if the passing place on the right was occupied. Apart from this incident it was fine. Go for it!

Reactions: SMB
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
We've done it three times and we still love every mile of it in our tag axle 8.5 mtr no problems be it September though

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just got back having done the most of the NC500 East and West. Absolutely no problem on the single track roads. There are passing places every 100 yards or so, they are well marked, you can see the signs well in advance and we found that oncoming drivers were very considerate. Husband said it was the best journey he's ever had in the MH and we have been motorhoming all across Europe. The views are stunning, however, hope you're lucky with the weather - we weren't. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Quite a few of us done it several weeks ago and one van was around 8m. No problems to get round as long as you are a sensible driver.

Beware of the hired Motorhome's coming towards you that don't think twice about wing mirror clashes.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We've done it three times and we still love every mile of it in our tag axle 8.5 mtr no problems be it September though

Over the 'Pass' as well?

Ian

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
if you plan your route to do the pass from the Applecross end you will find it much easier.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
@Pand1958 - did you manage the Pass in the end?

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back