West and North Wales in 5 nights (1 Viewer)

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi

Any hints or suggestions welcome. i have a few days free, from Friday 26th. I live in Bromyard, near Leominster. I have never explored Wales, and thought maybe a drive to Aberystwyth, up to Betws y Coed and a trip on the Snowdon mountain train.
I like pub stopovers or cl's/cs sites if possible. Is it a bit over ambitious? What are the must sees.

Karen

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Conway medival walled town, aire type accommodation (without services) on the car park behind castle, Mawddach estuary, Llandudno (classic seaside resort without the tat thanks to the Mostyn estate) while there the Great Orme and the 4,000 year old copper mine that supplied all of Europe in the booze age. Portmeirion etc plenty to see enjoy!

Dick

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
:HelloThere:Before you go to Aberystwyth, spend a few hours (or a night) at Aberaeron (recommend Drefnewydd site).
Lovely town, one of our favourites, with plenty of Gruberies and drinkeries.:pop::pop:
Right on the harbour, we recommend THE HARBOURMASTER HOTEL:drinks:
You won't be sorry:happy::happy:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
At Aberystwyth you can take the furnicular train up the cliff to the camera obscura; and the steam train up to Devils Bridge Waterfall, takes about an hour, hour up there, then back. If nice weather you can travel in an open sided carriage, lovely views down in the valley as the train climbs.

Have fun! :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Base yourself near Porthmadog and you have easy access to Harlech Castle, Porthmeirion, Ffestiniog Railway, the Ffestiniog Slate Mines, and the heart of Snowdonia. The Snowdon Mountain Train costs an arm and a leg by the way.

If you like cycle tracks, don't miss the Mawddach trail between Barmouth and Dolgellau.

I agree with @Glandwr about Llandudno if you want to see a resort that's a cut above most (I wish I'd lived in the Booze Age - preshictive texsht?).

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Dare i say. Shell Island ? Llanbedre ? (Between Barmouth and Harlech) Allways stayed at a farm at the end of the Causeway,as c/vans were not allowed on,tides or something.There was a Mr Hughes,had a CL,(In the book) going out of llanbedre about a mile or less,on the right towards Harlech,drive up a track and the site has a super view over the estuary.Or C&cc ? Through Llanbedre again,about half a mile on your left,turn down towards the trainstation,go to the bottom of this road and you will come to a car park at the end,the CS,is on your left through a gate,good walks along the beach.
Tea Bag

Aug 8, 2013
CHESTER
Funster No
MH
Hymer 544
Exp
Since 2006
hi, Aberystwyth has a big tribute music festival on bank holiday weekend. You can do single nights or the whole weekend. Oh and its a beer & cider festival too. Up the road is Borth where you can stop almost on the beach for about a tenner. Conwy has a motorhome stopover at go explore for £10 a night. Conwy castle car park has motorhome parking bays but not for overnighting.

Oozzie

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Hi all

Thank you for some great suggestions. I am visiting a friend in Nottingham on Saturday, so I think I will stay in one place for a few nights and tour around in the van. The cycle track looks great, and I still want to go up Snowdon, if the weather permits. I just have to decide where to park my wheels. Any suggestions around Porthmadog?

I could stay overnight in Conwy, and then move round. Travel back via Aberystwyth perhaps to Leominster and home on Wednesday.

Or.....................................save it for another time and explore the Peak district instead, as it is closer, and I haven't been there either.

Oh well, I have a few days to prevaricate and dither. Or, more positively reflect and consider my options.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
OK, plan sort of coming together. I have booked a Brit stop for Saturday night, and white water rafting on Sunday. No accommodation after that yet, but heading up to Llanberis to the Snowdon Mountain Railway on Monday, as the forecast looks good. Then a couple of days around Barmouth, so I can walk or cycle the Mawwdach Trail, and home. I need to find some accommodation around Barmouth, I am a member of CC and 3C as well as Britstops so hope to find something even though it is the last week in August.
I am trying to track down Teabags suggestions.

I am planning a very touristy trip, as you can see!!

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Base yourself near Porthmadog and you have easy access to Harlech Castle, Porthmeirion, Ffestiniog Railway, the Ffestiniog Slate Mines, and the heart of Snowdonia. The Snowdon Mountain Train costs an arm and a leg by the way.

If you like cycle tracks, don't miss the Mawddach trail between Barmouth and Dolgellau.

I agree with @Glandwr about Llandudno if you want to see a resort that's a cut above most (I wish I'd lived in the Booze Age - preshictive texsht?).
My fav.area lived near porthmadog for several years .a great base to explore from ..

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Have a ride up to the old coastguard station near Aberdaron at the tip of the Llyn peninsular.

OP
OP
MaidinDevon

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Thanks - to all who offered suggestions and advice. I loved Wales, it reminded me of home, but with fewer people and bigger hills! (Home is Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor).

I have had an epic few days, and will definitely be back to do some of the things I didn't manage this time.

I stayed for two nights on a CL in Llanbedre, which was nice, peaceful with great views, and easy reach to everywhere. I even had a paddle in the sea, at the local beach.

I recommend the white water rafting, great fun, I was smiling for hours afterwards.

I drove up to Llanberis but did not get on the train. I did not pre-book online, and it was packed out, unsurprising on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday. However, the drive up was jaw droppingly stunning.

I also walked some of the Mawddach Estuary trail, and want to go back, on my bike. Dolgellau was a nice town to wander around.

All in all, a brilliant little break. I saw lots of other motorhomes of all ages, shapes and sizes, and waved at most of them, with varying results!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back