Were you aware that your Google Map navigation app now has Speed limits and Speed displayed.. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have not remarked on this considering the grief I am getting on the w3w thread but yes the latest upgrade is fantastic, even to the point it maybe getting a bit overloaded and doing stuff you don't need, but there is certainly no need for any other map thing.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As I posted in the w3w thread yesterday I tried Google maps on a walk around my fields and it could almost plot my every step , nowhere near any road.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As I posted in the w3w thread yesterday I tried Google maps on a walk around my fields and it could almost plot my every step , nowhere near any road.
Just day dreaming were you chaser, now if we had a road here and a road there with a few houses there...…. ;) ;)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just checked my phone it has now been installed during a google update. Speed and speed limit. :) (y)
Have you tried the layers , you can go from traffic , to cycle routes , street view , normal, all with one click, mind blowing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for this, I love Google maps, use it all the time, it's great, speed limits/speed is the one thing I missed ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Waze has had speed & limits for a while now, as it's owned by Google, I guess it was only a matter of time before this feature was transferred across.

For some reason, Google/Waze have refused to consider adding any weight/height/width data to their maps despite many requests worldwide.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for this, I love Google maps, use it all the time, it's great, speed limits/speed is the one thing I missed ?
The one thing that I would like is to be able to see a full week or month of trips on one page but there is no simple way, you can get a page up with a load of dots to places you have been over a period of time but not how you got there.
PS I do realise you can get single days trips up.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have you come across the measure distance thing yet, I found it once now can't find it again, you just drop two pins and it tells you the distance between them.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have just been playing with this Google maps , there is that much stuff you can't describe it all, I have found how to do the distance thing now , you get a map up, drop a pin on it ,then at the bottom it tells you where it is, click on that and another menu slides in and one of the options is measure distance ,then you go back to the map and you can then drop another pin and it tells you how far apart they are. Crazy.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Waze has had speed & limits for a while now, as it's owned by Google, I guess it was only a matter of time before this feature was transferred across.

For some reason, Google/Waze have refused to consider adding any weight/height/width data to their maps despite many requests worldwide.

Waze has had speed cameras/traffic incidents since day 1.... its what it's all about, a social GPS tool, Google then woke up and paid $1bn for it :)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have just been playing with this Google maps , there is that much stuff you can't describe it all, I have found how to do the distance thing now , you get a map up, drop a pin on it ,then at the bottom it tells you where it is, click on that and another menu slides in and one of the options is measure distance ,then you go back to the map and you can then drop another pin and it tells you how far apart they are. Crazy.

It used to be just as the crow flies distances and you'd have to open Google Earth up to measure accurately along a twisty route with turns, but now once you have dropped the first pin ("right click and choose measure distance) you can zoom in and keep clicking any number of small clicks to follow a complicated route for a total distance. (y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
It used to be just as the crow flies distances and you'd have to open Google Earth up to measure accurately along a twisty route with turns, but now once you have dropped the first pin ("right click and choose measure distance) you can zoom in and keep clicking any number of small clicks to follow a complicated route for a total distance. (y)
Something else I've leant today Thanks will give it a try.. :) (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have you come across the measure distance thing yet, I found it once now can't find it again, you just drop two pins and it tells you the distance between them.
Yes, I knew that one was there ta.

Also picks up mobile speed cameras? one was reported on the A64 yesterday & it was still in place when I passed.

Looking forward to using the new version tomorrow ?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Yes, I knew that one was there ta.

Also picks up mobile speed cameras? one was reported on the A64 yesterday & it was still in place when I passed.

Looking forward to using the new version tomorrow ?
I can't see any speed display at all? Is it only available on pc rather than phone?
What new version?
Phil

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I have not remarked on this considering the grief I am getting on the w3w thread but yes the latest upgrade is fantastic, even to the point it maybe getting a bit overloaded and doing stuff you don't need, but there is certainly no need for any other map thing.
How do you get the update?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Should be automatic, is your phone set to update on its own?
Just did a manual update in AppStore
Will be great to have speed limits as this is the only reason I keep my old satnav turned on

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Google maps is good for roads and streets but not much cop on footpaths in the countryside.
I have a Satmap but only have maps for the UK, France, Portugal & Greece as they are a bit expensive. For other countries I use Maps.me, gives fairly detailed footpaths and it's free.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I can't see any speed display at all? Is it only available on pc rather than phone?
What new version?
Phil
Turn Speedometer on or off
  1. On your Android device, open the Google Maps
    Google Maps
    app.
  2. Tap Menu
    Menu
    and then
    Settings
    and then
    Navigation settings.
  3. Under "Driving options," turn on/off Speedometer. The speed should then be displayed in the bottom left hand corner of your Android screen....

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Google maps is good for roads and streets but not much cop on footpaths in the countryside.
I have a Satmap but only have maps for the UK, France, Portugal & Greece as they are a bit expensive. For other countries I use Maps.me, gives fairly detailed footpaths and it's free.
Doesn't show footpaths but you can set it to satillite view and it has all the waterways and ponds and field hedges , the lot.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Turn Speedometer on or off
  1. On your Android device, open the Google Maps
    Google Maps
    app.
  2. Tap Menu
    Menu
    and then
    Settings
    and then
    Navigation settings.
  3. Under "Driving options," turn on/off Speedometer. The speed should then be displayed in the bottom left hand corner of your Android screen....
Thanks buttons .

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In a few years speed cameras will likely be a thing of the past. Policing will be hived off to Google who will automatically debit the credit card of anyone who speeds. :D

That doesn't even sound far-fetched does it:Eeek:

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
In a few years speed cameras will likely be a thing of the past. Policing will be hived off to Google who will automatically debit the credit card of anyone who speeds. :D

That doesn't even sound far-fetched does it:Eeek:
Spot on I would say - with Google taking a nice slice of the revenue (all the way back to the US!!)

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
Am I blind? ?
B406F5D2-1041-44CC-9729-63827FA24BEB.png

Nothing in any of the settings either ?

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The instructions from buttons a couple of post up is spot on. Just done it.
Make sure you have the updated version of maps. (Playstore/google maps/update)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
So you’re slumming it on iOS?
Only thing I can suggest is a visit to a phone shop and get something decent??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back