We're Off... (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter Deleted member 29692
  • Start date
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're loving Chamonix and I'm glad we reverted to Plan A of spending a couple of nights here. Yesterday we just wandered around the town, had a few drinks and something to eat. There were about 70 vans on the aire last night but as far as I could see only one other Brit. Even with some cloud and a nice breeze the temperature was round about 25° until quite late into the evening.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Glad your having a great time!

Love Chamonix, it's what put us on to the Alps, currently in Jungfrau Swiss

Andy

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Bit of a lack of Internet for the last couple of days so no updates. Our second day in Chamonix was as good as the first. We took the cable car up to Planpraz where the view was spectacular. Hardly a cloud in the sky. Joseph took the alternative route down with one of the paragliders. The dogs were less than impressed with the cable car! All the pictures are on my camera so will post them another time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We moved on yesterday to Camping Cappucini at Peschiera del Garda, our home for the next week. We have a great pitch about 75m from the beach and slightly less from the bar!

image.jpg

Whoever it was that said once you come to this place you never want to go anywhere else may well be right.

It's slightly cooler here today than yesterday, around 30° ish and at the moment we're sat at the beach bar having cocktails after a swim in the lake which the dogs think ended far too quickly
image.jpg

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Lovely, glad it's cooler for you than when we were there a few weeks ago!

Those drinks looks lush.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Lovely, glad it's cooler for you than when we were there a few weeks ago!

Those drinks looks lush.

It feels hotter in the sun. We had a storm in the night which has cleared the air.

The drinks are an Aperol Spritz and a Strawberry Cooler (y)

View from the bar:
image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not really anything new to update. We've spent the last couple of days doing nothing much. A wander into town, a swim with the dogs, a rest from all that activity in the bar. It's a hard life.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
There's a geezer on the site next door (Bella Italia I think) who's been giving it the full Gladys Pugh twice a day in four languages. I'm sure he means well but I wish he'd bugger off.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our last night at Lago do Garda. Not much to update really. We've basically had a week of Aperol Spritz, great food, great wine, swimming with the dogs and Aperol Spritz. Spending our last evening in the beach bar. I really love this place so whoever suggested in the other thread that we have the next 20 years of holidays sorted was probably right!
image.jpg

Off to Germany tomorrow with no plan other than we're staying at Garmisch tomorrow night.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's worth more than one night, a place to do some serious ogling. And a possible railway trip.

I was kind of thinking it might be so had an idea that we may be there for two nights I know nothing about Southern Germany and our tunnel is next Wednesday so open to any other suggestions on the way back to Calais. We have the dogs with us.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
After a lovely lazy week in Italy we've been on the move again today. We took the Brenner Pass route into Austria through stunning scenery. I think the Dolomites/South Tyrol region is yet another one on the list of places we need to spend more time. We didn't stop in Austria and are now parked up for at least a couple of nights on the Stellplatz at Garmisch. Not venturing far from the van tonight. There's a bar/restaurant about 2 mins away so going to check that out and then get the bus (free with the Stellplatz fee) into town tomorrow. It's cooler here than in Italy. Just 30° at the moment :D

image.jpg

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Right.

Visa and MasterCard in Germany.

Big problem apparently. Scheiße according to the restaurant. I have a wallet full of cards none of which would work in the restaurant or at the first cashpoint we tried. It's a good job the guy from the restaurant who was chauffeuring me has a sense of humour. Mine was starting to fail. :mad:

I now have a big wad of cash which I am going to add to tomorrow and not try and use a card until at least France.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Spent today in Freiburg. It's been much cooler than yesterday. We had a walk into town which is lovely. Yet another place on the list for more time. We had a good walk round interspersed with a few drinks and some food and then wandered back to the Stellplatz for several lots more drinks and a great chat with @Gerri19 & @Ockerron.

No pictures today. Alcohol seemed more pressing :D

We're heading back to France tomorrow to another lake and hopefully a vet so we can bring the dogs back.

Last edited by a moderator:

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I stayed in that exact same spot in Freiburg in December 2012(yes, only we could decide to tour Germany in December) and we had to dig ourselves out from the snow!

Really enjoyed following you adventures. Safe journey home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
After the affects of last nights wine lifted a bit we moved on again with a vet in mind this time.
Plan A was to stop at Gerardmer by the lake but after an entertaining drive up a properly winding mountain road and down the other side I didn't really like what we found. The Tarmac aire was huge, in poor condition and packed and the weather wasn't great so we carried on and have ended up at Bulgneville on a circular aire next to a fishing lake. Nothing much appears to be open so we're having a night in and after the vet first thing in the morning we're heading towards Calais with a couple more stops before our train on Wednesday.

image.jpg

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I too was a little worse for wear this morning! We headed north and with a little help from the threads on the forum have landed at a lovely Stellplatz at Bacharach on the Rhine. So lovely we have booked for two nights and the beer is lovely!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We're home now. Haven't bothered with updates for the last few days. Not much to report for the last few days.

The vet at Bulgneville was fine. She spoke good English and the cost was €21.30 per dog including the tablet which I was quite happy with.
We headed North on Monday morning picking Cambrai at random from the aires book. This was a mistake as the aire appears to have been abandoned; the barrier has been removed and the service point is switched off. Also the area doesn't look the greatest with lots of boarded up buildings. Out came the book again looking for somewhere close and off we went to Bertry which was a great little town. The aire only has 4 pitches and is free with free water and electricity. It's next to a nice little park where the dogs had a bit of a run. The only other van there was another British (Jockinese) one. It seemed quite a nice little town from the brief wander and couple of drinks we had.
We stayed at Gravelines for our last night before an early train which was all good. Nice dinner in Restaurant Le Turbot to round off the trip. Up early this morning and at pet passport by just after 7AM. As usual we were offered an earlier train (9.20 which was 90 minutes before our scheduled one) Everything was quiet around Calais with no delays anywhere.

Was overtaken by and then followed a Funster in a Hymer on the M20 all round to the A12. @ScotJimland was it you? If so your nearside headlight is out.

That's it. All in all we've had a great trip. We've got lots of places to go back to and lots more places we passed through that I would like to spend some time in.

Next trip is Beautiful Days next week :D(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back