We're in Spain and don't have a Safefill adapter ... argh!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by yorkieman, Nov 19, 2017.

1. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Ratings:
    +262
    On the way to catch the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander we stopped off at a gas place to make sure we had enough calor and the guy sold us on the benefits of Safefill cylinders.

So we took the plunge.

But, he failed to mention we would need an adapter to use it in Spain. Silly me should have thought to ask, but I didn't think did I.

We stopped of at a garage that did LPG and they tried to help. They even had some adapters, but all the ones we tried seemed to leak, so I figure they were maybe a continental style thread or something as they were not specifically Safefill ones.

We do have a small calor cylinder just in case, but we don't have an adapter for that either.

We are going to be in Spain for another month.

Anyone got any ideas as to how we could get an adapter for the Safefill cylinder. We tried Safefill.co.uk, but they don't answer the phone (the voicemail box is always full) and it appears emails go unanswered too.

Any bright ideas would be much appreciated.

2. PaulW2

PaulW2 Funster

Ratings:
    +28
    In Spain you need what they call the Euro adapter. In France and Portugal they use a cup-shaped one. If you have one of those, and if you are heading to either country, that would do it.

Otherwise you could presumably have one couriered? Amazon do deliver to Spain but amazon UK dont seem to stock them.

3. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Ratings:
    +315
    Looking at ebay seems there are adapters out there. They are notthe same as " standard" adapters. On your cylinder the internal thread is a lh thread same as a calor gas cylinder, i think.
    If you go on ebay and search " safefill adapter" you will find them easily. How you get it to spain dont know.

4. Alistair33

Alistair33 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,472
    Not sure what safefill are but that adapter we have for Spain looks like this ..... coke car sized beer for scale ...... I understand hat some garages have them to “lend”

image.jpg

5. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

Ratings:
    +262
    Yes. That looks like the one the woman in the garage was trying to use, but every time we tried it the LPG came squirting out all over the place. Good job I gave up smoking years ago :)

Maybe they're slightly different for the Safefill cylinders, although can't see how as if they were different it wouldn't fit the pipe on our van would it?

6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Ratings:
    +6,129
    This might be suitable.................?
    Gaslow Euro Spanish Adaptor

[​IMG]

• [​IMG]

Price:
    £25.59
    SKU:
    01-4305
    Brand:
    Gaslow
    Shipping:
    Calculated at checkout
    Delivery between £3.50 - £12.95.
    Our Terms and Conditions.

Quantity:

Product Description
    Gaslow Euro Spanish Adaptor
    New Gaslow European Quick Release Travel Fill Adapter. For New Installations anywhere in Europe incl Spain.

Also known as Euronozzel.

7. Alistair33

Alistair33 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,472
    That’s the chap, got a set of three with the Alugas system........ had some fun filling initially but now we’ve done it four times we’re old hands !

8. Alistair33

Alistair33 Funster

Ratings:
    +4,472
    When the bottles are full, you get a blow back of gas that can be quite disconcerting if you’re not used to it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Ratings:
    +315
    I think there is a difference. The safefill is left hand thread as a standard calor pol thread.
    I believe the standard gaslow type adapters are right hand thread so not compatible.
    I have neither, just a bit of web research.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Madcaravanner

Madcaravanner Funster

Chesterfield N Derbyshire AND Soumeras France
    Ratings:
    +1,419
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  11. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +11,638
    I thought safefil were stand alone bottles, hence you have no filler point fitted on the side of your vehicle.
    Unsure if they see you standing there with just a bottle or your gas locker open if they will let you do it.
    Been some reports of garages not allowing it, In the UK most of the fill places are tucked away and not mainstream garages..

Good luck, worst case buy a Spanish bottle and adapt that. Lots of info on here about that.

http://www.safefill.co.uk/

12. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +22,560
    Going over what has already been said so others don't keep repeating it:
    • it is a Safefill cylinder
    • it has a LH thread so is the opposite to the RH threaded adaptors for use with the fillers for Gaslow, Gasit, Alugas so they won't work with it
    • what is needed is a LH thread adaptor specifically to be used with a Safefill type cylinder
    I've found this on a Netherlands heating company site which confirms the above regarding the 'handing' of the threads and they make an adaptor to convert the LH thread to a RH thread so any of the standard adaptors can be used, ie such as those sold by Gasit, Gaslow etc.

https://www.propanegaswaterheaters....7-safefill-adapter-left-to-righ-thread/?pg=20

It might therefore be worth going to a heating company and seeing if they have anything that may be suitable to do the same job - if so you should then be able to use the adaptors provided by the fuel stations to fill, or be able to buy the standard filling ones there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. SandraL

SandraL Funster

Ratings:
    +315
    Going back to basics. In post 1 you say you have a calor cylinder. Is it propane with a handwheel valve? If yes and you have a hose that connects to the calor cylinder it will be a left hand thread.
    Does this same hose screw into the safefill cylinder??
    If so this establishes fact that calor, hose and safefill are all the same thread, this will be a left hand thread.
    If so you will need a safefill adapter.
    I believe that gaslow, gasit,alugas etc refillable cylinders have a normal right hand thread to fit the adapter, can someone confirm p!ease?

I,m a slow typer, Minxy got there before me.......

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. QFour

QFour

Ratings:
    +618
    Why is there always someone that has to be different. Just another adaptor needed but miles from where you are going to get one.

15. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +22,560
    I've found a full set of adaptors on Ebay and it says they will post to Spain ... any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Refill-y...579370?hash=item25de224b2a:g:FEAAAOSwCotZm06f

On the Gasit website it clearly states that their adaptors will NOT fit the Safefill bottles:

http://www.gasit.co.uk/gas-it-3-part-european-fill-point-adapter-kit.html

"THESE ITEM ARE FOR RIGHT HAND THREADED FILLPOINTS ONLY (99.9% of fill points are Right Hand )

THESE DO NOT WORK WITH SAFEFILL BOTTLES AS THEY HAVE A LEFT HAND THREAD ONLY"

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  16. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

Ratings:
    +1,034
    If you do find something in the UK, the seller should be able to arrange courier or urgent parcel delivery to some Spanish address within about 3 days. DPD is an excellent parcel delivery company that I've used from the UK many times.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Ratings:
    +750
    All that is needed is the POL adaptor shown on the right of your find Minxy; then the adaptors most of use will fit.
    Must admit I thought one of these was supplied with each Safefill.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Dorset Diver

Dorset Diver Funster

Ratings:
    +750
  19. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +22,560
    It appears to be cheaper to buy them all together rather than buy an adaptor to convert to the thread for the standard adaptors and then buy them afterwards especially if getting them posted to Spain.

20. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +22,560