We're about to press buy......but it's a big step! (1 Viewer)

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
Firstly, thank you for everyone's help on my previous post about Weinsburgs. So I feel like less of a freeloader I've bought a year's membership, hoping that we should soon own a motorhome! Went to look at a 2018 Sunlight S70SC yesterday and was very impressed, we are seriously thinking of putting in an offer in the next day or so, aware of how fast the market is moving. But it's a big step, and we still have a few "last minute wobbles"...

• It's 7m long, and it looks huge, is the size going to be an issue? My thoughts are that's only 1m more than a 6m, which is the smallest we'll get still with a garage. And it fits on the drive fine, and I was amazed on the test drive how it feels and drives no different than a transit.
  • Is a motorhome really going to allow us to do what we want? We are keen campers, but we want more flexibility in worse weather and out of season. We imagine weekends exploring the far reaches of wales, lakes, peaks, dales out of season, but if the camp sites are all shut, where do we empty the loo and fill up with water? I'm guessing we can still find "motor parks" that will be open and we can empty/refill for a few quid if we need to? We're aware free camping in Cornwall in August is not realistic, but that's the same with a tiny VW day camper.
  • I don't think our van has the "winterised addon", so the waste water tank is not heated. I didn't check but I gather the fresh tank is internal, so provided we leave the heating on tick over, we'll be ok in say -3 or -4 if we are careful, maybe a bit colder? it has LPG system fitted, so using plenty of gas shouldn't be a concern.
  • Maybe a separate question for the Solar forum, I will plan to fit panels, which is bread and butter for me electrically, but drilling a hole through a very expensive motorhome sounds terrifying. The huge tv antenna fitted will go so I can re-purpose the gland for the wiring, can I "glue" good size panels onto the home using the appropriate Sikaflex so I don't have to drill and bolt? Is the the norm, or is it frowned upon?
  • This is a long term purchase, we we need to consider kids - It has four 3-point belted seats, but it seems no ISOFIX. Am I right that this is not a major issue, just slighly less convenient?
If anyone can help with some of our last minute "Are we doing the right thing" worries, it would be awesome! Sorry for so many questions, I hope I can be in a position to return the favour in the near future!

Many thanks, George

OP
OP
Geomore

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
The ferries issue I wasn't aware of the 6/7m break point, but if you are correct that it's changed anyway, it's irrelevant any way. The height should be ok, i think it's 2.8m, we were looking at a full height 6m previously, but sounds like shorter and longer was the right choice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Geomore

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
So, things are going forward, excitement is high, etc, etc! We've just got the Hab report back, it seems the seller has inadvertently chosen quite a thorough chap to do the work (to my inexperienced eyes anyway). Damp readings are ~15% across the whole floor (assume no checks elsewhere as it's not a wood frame?), so all OK there I guess. Mostly passes and ok gas checks all round, but here's the comments (abbreviated):

• Leisure batt V "low" - 12.6v- I expect it's not in good condition - suspect it's not been charged much over the winter. No idea what the fitted battery or quantity is, I didn't look, but assume it's a single 110Ah AGM so have an idea of cost there. Assuming a well looked after battery would easily do 3 years from new, so I could rightly expect it to be serviceable.
  • cupboard rattling
  • rear light condensated - guessing this isn't an uncommon issue and easy fix? And not a sign of something a lot worse?
  • several blinds stiff - assume silicone spray to fix?
  • sliding door retainer broken - potential outrageous cost of replacement parts from Adria/Sun Living?
  • Shower Hekki(? - bad handwriting) and rear Hekki(?) blinds stiff. Assume roof light?
  • Oven only lighting 1/4 and 1 hob not lighting easily
  • Sink pulling up by tap
I'd have no issue if was 10 years old, but for a 3 yr old vehicle offered at a pretty healthy price (not much chance for a bargain in current climate) am I right in expecting a "nearly new" condition, and right to negotiate down further based on costs to rectify for anything that can't be sorted?

Any help on what is "not a problem", vs what could be expensive / concerning, I'd love to know. And of course, thanks again for all your help, I hope I can repay it when I get some of my own experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Geomore

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
Brilliant ! Are you off anywhere nice soon ? 👍🏻
Hopefully a short trip this weekend to try and make all the newbie mistakes in one go! Meon / South downs? Might try phoning a Brit Stop, hoping everything isn't going to be ridiculous at the moment. Might try and find a small Caravan and Camping site for the BH weekend, but fear I already know what they'll say.

Upvote 0

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Hopefully a short trip this weekend to try and make all the newbie mistakes in one go! Meon / South downs? Might try phoning a Brit Stop, hoping everything isn't going to be ridiculous at the moment. Might try and find a small Caravan and Camping site for the BH weekend, but fear I already know what they'll say.
You will find somewhere . Whatever mistakes you may or may not make , you can be assured there will be lots of us online to help if you have a many problems setting up 👍🏻

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2018
I guess no-one's following this any more, but if they are, we are now the owners of an awesome Adria Sun-Living S70 SC! The seller pretty much sorted all the hab check snags in the end, winner!
I just love good news. Enjoy all your adventures :dance2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class Corado
Exp
Since 2006
Firstly, thank you for everyone's help on my previous post about Weinsburgs. So I feel like less of a freeloader I've bought a year's membership, hoping that we should soon own a motorhome! Went to look at a 2018 Sunlight S70SC yesterday and was very impressed, we are seriously thinking of putting in an offer in the next day or so, aware of how fast the market is moving. But it's a big step, and we still have a few "last minute wobbles"...

• It's 7m long, and it looks huge, is the size going to be an issue? My thoughts are that's only 1m more than a 6m, which is the smallest we'll get still with a garage. And it fits on the drive fine, and I was amazed on the test drive how it feels and drives no different than a transit.
  • Is a motorhome really going to allow us to do what we want? We are keen campers, but we want more flexibility in worse weather and out of season. We imagine weekends exploring the far reaches of wales, lakes, peaks, dales out of season, but if the camp sites are all shut, where do we empty the loo and fill up with water? I'm guessing we can still find "motor parks" that will be open and we can empty/refill for a few quid if we need to? We're aware free camping in Cornwall in August is not realistic, but that's the same with a tiny VW day camper.
  • I don't think our van has the "winterised addon", so the waste water tank is not heated. I didn't check but I gather the fresh tank is internal, so provided we leave the heating on tick over, we'll be ok in say -3 or -4 if we are careful, maybe a bit colder? it has LPG system fitted, so using plenty of gas shouldn't be a concern.
  • Maybe a separate question for the Solar forum, I will plan to fit panels, which is bread and butter for me electrically, but drilling a hole through a very expensive motorhome sounds terrifying. The huge tv antenna fitted will go so I can re-purpose the gland for the wiring, can I "glue" good size panels onto the home using the appropriate Sikaflex so I don't have to drill and bolt? Is the the norm, or is it frowned upon?
  • This is a long term purchase, we we need to consider kids - It has four 3-point belted seats, but it seems no ISOFIX. Am I right that this is not a major issue, just slighly less convenient?
If anyone can help with some of our last minute "Are we doing the right thing" worries, it would be awesome! Sorry for so many questions, I hope I can be in a position to return the favour in the near future!

Many thanks, George
The Sunlight van is very well made and is constructed in the Capronn factory alongside the Carado Both brands are part of the Hymer group of companies my own van is 7.4 mts and is a dream to drive go on utube and search for Capron factory in Germany
good luck and welcome

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Geomore

Geomore

Free Member
Feb 14, 2021
Not far from the Henge
Funster No
MH
Adria Sun-Living S70
Exp
since 2021
The Sunlight van is very well made and is constructed in the Capronn factory alongside the Carado Both brands are part of the Hymer group of companies my own van is 7.4 mts and is a dream to drive go on utube and search for Capron factory in Germany
good luck and welcome
Oops I didn't see my mistake, it's a Sun-Living not Sunlight :rolleyes: hopefully they are also just as well built (by Adria). Seems to be reasonably solid so far although a couple of squeaks I need to address at some point. I was concerned at first with the terrible rats nest of wiring loom hanging underneath, but then realised it's just the reversing camera that a qualified cowboy installed aftermarket, so that's next on the list.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back