Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Hi Everyone,i'm a Welshman in Bulgaria and loving it,i have a 6 berth Talbot ELDDIS Autoquest 400 gt,2 ltr petrol (carb)which is also converted to LPG (i had it done here)It's a 2000 mile journey (one way) which i have done 3 times so far,but my base is here in Bulgaria,very close to the Greek and Turkish borders,i have 3 seas within or less than 3 hours drive !
If anyone wants any info,or wants to stay at our house or park up,just ask away.Make your next adventure in this stunning area with weather lasting 8 months reaching 40c but still looking like switzerland or Wales,50 years ago :Cool:

jennyp19

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Sunny Scunny
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
about 10 yrs
Sounds like you're in a good place. Never been to Bulgaria - what's it like?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Come on Barney, so the Welsh team finished 4th in the last 6 nations, no need to emigrate to Bulgaria. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Welcome to The Fun:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
B

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
Hello back

Thanks for your welcome posts,,,

Bulgaria is amazing to be honest,if your not sure where it is (coz my mates thought it was by Russia,ignoraymasses) its on the Black Sea,it has the famous Blue Danube and Romania running down one side,then where i am theres Greece and Turkey (next door 20 miles from me) and at the other end by the capitol (Sophia) is Serbia and Macedonia.
I have 3 seas to choose from,within 3 hours drive in my camper,and the wildlife is unbeleivable having wild hog,bear,wolves,vultures.eagles,tortoices.turtles,lizards,stick insects etc etc.
The country joined the Eu in 07 and is slowly trying to catch up,like 50 years ! horse or donkey and carts,or the other extreme top notch 4x4's,my village is laid back farming community growing tobacco and grapes,but everyone has a pig or cow in the garden,and the gardens....ours is small at half an acre...anyhow i'm rattling on,if you want to know more or something specific ,ask away,,,its approx 2000 miles from S Wales and theres 3 routes to choose to drive here ! :thumb:

wildbri

Free Member
Dec 16, 2009
Funster No
Hi I am pleased to hear you are enjoying Bulgaria. Drove there in a split screen vw camper in the 1960's. Must admit it wasn't a pleasant place to visit in those days, being a very, very poor satellite Russan police state with nothing and I mean nothing in the shops, unless you had $$$$
USA $ then thing would appear. As they say things can only get better, so I am please to hear that they have. regards bri :Smile:

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Barneybg

We are driving to Turkey at the end of March via Italy then ferry to Greece and in to Turkey.

However, the return journey will be via the eastern route through Bulgaria etc although we have no specific plans for the homeward journey yet.

You mentioned you have used 3 different routes from/to the UK. I would be interested to know which route have you found to be the most convenient both in terms of time and cost ? We will be in no particular hurry and will be stopping off several times en-route so the route with least hassle will probably be the one we will choose.

Nojazz

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Funster No
Message for groundog, the nicest route in a motorhome from Turkey is to return through Greece (the way you came) as the new greek motorway is superb (came through Greece from Bulgaria in November). You could travel up the coast of Bulgaria and go into Romania, but the roads can be variable. The route through Romania is good, but Bulgarian roads are not great for motorhomes in my experience. It really depends how much wear and tear you want your van to experience.
Bulgaria is a lovely place to visit but choose your route carefully.

Nojazz

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi Everyone,i'm a Welshman in Bulgaria and loving it,i have a 6 berth Talbot ELDDIS Autoquest 400 gt,2 ltr petrol (carb)which is also converted to LPG (i had it done here)It's a 2000 mile journey (one way) which i have done 3 times so far,but my base is here in Bulgaria,very close to the Greek and Turkish borders,i have 3 seas within or less than 3 hours drive !
If anyone wants any info,or wants to stay at our house or park up,just ask away.Make your next adventure in this stunning area with weather lasting 8 months reaching 40c but still looking like switzerland or Wales,50 years ago :Cool:
I'm envious!! :Smile:

I'd planned to go onto Bulgaria last year during a tour but fell ill in Slovenia and spent a week recovering which meant me having to abandon those plans and head back n/e through Hungary and Poland.

Still hope to visit though and even been looking at the property market there too.....prices are a bit like Spain before the 'brits' invaded it and wrecked everything!

You mention you are 'based' there. I'm curious as to whether you are Bulgarian residential.....or is it simply a holiday home?

OP
OP
B

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
Welshman living in BG

Bulletguy :winky: I am a holiday home user,BUT live here permanant ?as i have only 'visited home' 3 times in three years !I have my UK passport etc,but pay taxes etc in Bulgaria (its in the EU) i use a c/o address in UK,but basicly left everything behind,i suppose a bit like fulltimers only i have a solid base to set out from.
My village except me and are great,lovely people and stunning country,but like anywhere (like in UK) you do your research (internet/forums)buy somewhere suitable for the right money,i have 3 houses,if anyones interested :winky: one is only £3000,the other £12,000 both with half acre each,the dearer one is in a conservation area overlooking a 40 mile lake :whatthe: the 3 are less than 25 miles from the Greek/Turkish borders,the renovated,central heated,d/g all new singing and dancing house i live in,is £40,000,all these are cheap and inexpencive as i am NOT an agent,anyhow i cant say strongly enough,how brilliant and totally different Bulgaria is to your 'norm' if you want something quaint and strange from your 'normal spanish' type holidays,the language and customs,the sheer beauty,the 50 years into the past,the wildlife,unspoilt in many places,there are bad or run down places and if you want nightlife or Blackpool there is Sunny beach near Burgas on the coast but other coastal spots are still small fishing villages,as i have said Turkey and Istanbul is not far (3 hours)also quiet Turkish beaches (not in EU0 you will need Visa's,bought on the border or theres the Quiet laid back Greek coast less than 3 hours away,if you travel North along Bulgarias coast from Greece/Turkey you will cross the Danube and into Romania,follow the coast of the Black Sea or travel inland,many many countries to visit from here..
Bulletguy,if you have retired or have enough money (sell house) to leave the rat race,have a Nationwide account,you cant go wrong living as a base here in Bulgaria,as i mentioned i live near the borders and the Rhadopi mountain range,from basking in the sun(up to 40c) or ski-ing in the resorts (semi-expensive)a fraction of the price compared to Spain/france/Tenerife etc.
There is loads of money being spent on roads etc since joining the EU,and there are 3 routes to drive here Austria-Serbia..Austria-Romania or Italy-ferry-greece-BG.

Attachments

• Ivailovgrad lake.JPG
    Ivailovgrad lake.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
B

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
Wkdtroll,Whats funny ?:ROFLMAO: have you been to Bulgaria ?Are you Welsh ?I say what i mean and from the heart,Yes it is EXACTLY like Wales only still using donkey and cart mostly to new BMW 4x4's.a pig,cow or livestock is the norm in the garden(a small garden being half acre)and at this time of the year,a pig or goat or even a cow killing in the garden !! :Eeek: I know,i live here and join in with village life,i make my own wine from my grapes/vimeyard and also make Rakia (whisky/brandy) i smoke tobacco thats grown next door in my Turkish/Bulgarian neighbours garden and i drink lager in the shop/outside at 50 p a go ! I swim in the local lake or i jump in my camper for 3 hours to go to any one of 3 seas...what do you do ? :ROFLMAO: I'm glad your a happy soul,so am i,very happy,if i can pass on any knowledge to you all, will try,if no-one wants it,i will move on .
Her's me in my 4x4 up the mountain,yes real mountains,some that have snow on and ski-ing !:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If only I was a bit younger Barney, I school friend of mine also lives in Bulgaria, he came back the year before last to the school reunion, then took a 5th wheel back to Bulgaria to live in. He had nothing but praise for the climate lifestyle and wonderful people. Maybe you could time your next visit home to coincide with the Carmarthen Rally in April.Welcome to the forum you lucky chap and don't forget we have a chatroom full of ex-pats, hee hee.

OP
OP
B

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
welsh and which way back?

Groundhog,as you have said you dont want to go back the way you traveled,i would suggest Romania,Serbia is quicker and a better road (motorway) but unless you have a green card stating SERBIA you will be charged 130 euro for the privilage of about 8 hours driving through !otherwise Romania you could follow the coast of Bulgaria coming through from Turkey to Malko Tarnavo (check border on internet) otherwise SVILENGRAD (call in ) upto Varna across across to Ruse crossing the Danube there into Romania or from SVILENGRAD to Haskovo along the very good MOTORWAY to Sophia the capitol into Serbia or cut up to Vratsa-Vidin and Calafat small ferry 20 min to Romania,by the way many roads are good in Bulgaria now,except countryside smaller roads which i can compare to welsh valley roads :whatthe: the driverts are a little worrying as they drive like Greeks or Italians,even Turks :Eeek: Most i think have 'paid' for their liscences :winky: as they should be still on carts :Sad: you see some stupid things but use your head and you'll be fine :thumb:

Goose

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome, Barney.

I always find it so inspiring reading your kind of post...of folks who've travelled off the beaten track, into (relatively) unusual places. Bulgaria, it would seem, is probably a good place to settle now that it has recently joined the EU. I imagine it is much like the Czech republic and Slovenia were before the masses swarmed in and discovered the beauty and lifestyles of these new EU partners. Just reading your contribution has enticed me to add Bulgaria to our up-coming grand tour. Many thanks, and keep inspiring.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Bulletguy :winky: I am a holiday home user,BUT live here permanant ?as i have only 'visited home' 3 times in three years !I have my UK passport etc,but pay taxes etc in Bulgaria (its in the EU) i use a c/o address in UK,but basicly left everything behind,i suppose a bit like fulltimers only i have a solid base to set out from.
My village except me and are great,lovely people and stunning country.....
Just been googling your village.
Very nice I must say......thats my idea of country living! I'm tempted to get the 'for sale' board up on my house! :Smile:

OP
OP
B

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
haha

Things i dont miss.
traffic and queues
traffic lights
speed cameras
dickheads,druggies,graffiti and pub brawlers
big brother
taxes
rushing around ,the 7 till 7 lifestyle
keeping up with 'the Jones's'
designer wear
not being able to park
the amount of people.....7 million in Bulgaria !
more to come

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Barney

Welcome to the forum. It was nice reading the Bulgarian story. :thumb:
Thanks

Paul and Ineke

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Also in BG

Hello Barney, I also moved to Bulgaria 2 years ago, RV not used much, have plans to go around EU, want to have tea in Hitlers house and visit the camps. :Eeek: see if its as bad as they say.

Also near Turkish and Greek border. were you robbed by the builders as so many others were. I lost £20,000 that was added on to the pricing...

I am New to this site seems good have always stayed away from chat sites, have heard many stories. Had to join this one as I have only had my motorhome since 2005 when my wife died, I wanted a new start.

Alivan

Last edited:

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hello Groundhog

Hello, Have taken ferry from Turkey to Italy twice now, good trips, food good, bed good, went from Turkey Cesme, to Italy Ancona Brindisi. If you go from Cesme you can park outside the Police station for the night, and catch the morning ferry.
Suggest when you go Austria, Hungary and Romania. Or if you go via Serbia do not park up or leave you van to go in cafe. There are teams operating at petrol stations, when you come out from a drink or pee stop. you could have a flat tyre. The person at the cash desk will then say I can get it fixed for you. Within 5 min. a car will arrive macanik will change your tyre and charge you 50 euro. Mine when fixed had 6 stab holes. Be warned.
:thumb: Ivan

alivan

Free Member
Jan 29, 2010
UK and Europe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Help Please

Having problem loading my Picture. says loading failed. picture size 80x65 19kb all within size allowed. can anybody help I'm new or can you tell.
Ivan:cry:

Last edited:

alanwylde

Free Member
May 15, 2010
Funster No
hi. Very interested in getting routes where the roads are not too bad. I drove to Turkey via Romania and Bulgaria 18 months ago and was not impressed at all . The roads were awful, the police in Romania were so corrupt and the route I took was very uninspiring ( via Arad, Timisoira, Craiova, Bucharest and crossed into Bulgaria at Ruse.

Would welcome some tips as toalternative scenic routes where the roads are not too bad nor rib shattering

Alan

tallskinnykiwi

Free Member
Aug 30, 2011
Europe and beyond
Funster No
MH
4x4 Overlander
Exp
since 1994
bulgaria

Bulgaria is amazing :thumb:

Hey Mr Welshman, we are in Burgas, Bulgaria now and off to Turkey for a while next week. Love to ask some questions about Bulgaria re: recommended mechanics, cheap dentist, and additional Bulgarian insurance to cover us in Turkey.

Andrew
icon1.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back