Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
No need to google its simple
cardydd

My thread is not anti-Welsh.

Wales is my favourite part of the UK and I have always found the Welsh as friendly as anyone. If folks there want to speak Welsh then fine.(y)

The thread was about unnecessary and confusing road signs

Cardydd is the Welsh name for Cardiff, the country's capital

Even the Welsh name for its capital has little significance - Google both names and find out

Wales is great, the Welsh are great, the Welsh language is great - the duplicate road signs are not

(y)(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Mo
Just supposing Carol this DVLA office had been housed in Edinburgh rather than C.....Swansea, would we still get the Welsh option, I doubt that. I also doubt we would have had a Scottish Gaelic option either. My tax office is in Scotland yet never been offered the Scottish Gaelic option.
Personally I think this and the road signs has more to do with using our funds to promote the Welsh language. Sorry just my view......
[/QUOTE]

Good Morning Buttons, as I said in my post it is automated service so costs very little, a person who speaks Welsh gets no extra pay so no different there. As I said before if the signs were not already in place then the cost would have to be taken into it, but the signs are there and the cost would be in taking them all down.

Though I wonder why the cost of Welsh keeping it's heritage is so different than other countries keeping it's own identity, personally I love England and the things that make it unique, as much as I enjoy visiting Scotland with its own ways and traditions. That said together taking the three countries joined as the UK gives us all a wonderful heritage why would or should we tear it apart.

Those are the reasons I dislike the nit picking at our countries heritage. (Not aimed at you Mr Buttons) just my feelings on it.:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[/QUOTE]Good Morning Buttons, as I said in my post it is automated service so costs very little, a person who speaks Welsh gets no extra pay so no different there. As I said before if the signs were not already in place then the cost would have to be taken into it, but the signs are there and the cost would be in taking them all down.

Though I wonder why the cost of Welsh keeping it's heritage is so different than other countries keeping it's own identity, personally I love England and the things that make it unique, as much as I enjoy visiting Scotland with its own ways and traditions. That said together taking the three countries joined as the UK gives us all a wonderful heritage why would or should we tear it apart.

Those are the reasons I dislike the nit picking at our countries heritage. (Not aimed at you Mr Buttons) just my feelings on it.:Smile:[/QUOTE]

Good morning to you too Carol. No cost in taking the signs down, just request there removal and I'm sure many scrap dealers would be straight on it for free.:) Far as the welsh keeping their heritage that is great for those who gain from this but me, I have only visited Wales on a couple of occasions in my life and to be honest I found the road markings to be a confusing mess on the road. Have no idea why anyone would want two ways of displaying SLOW or HALT across the road. It does nothing for promoting Welsh or Wales it just comes across as graffiti on the road that I found to be a bit of a pain. Still the hills and valley's were very nice.(y)

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Mr Buttons can't say we will agree on this one so will have to agree to disagree :Smile:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Sign on the M 4 heading east said Abertawe, couldn't find it on my map and not being a Welsh speaker, I didn't know it meant Swansea so that confused me a bit (n) Bit further along, sign says Llundain, aha, but now I'm getting the hang of this, says it's 150 miles away so can't be in Wales, pull onto the hard shoulder, get out my sextant, take a reading from the sun, mark my position on my map, get the dividers out and draw a circle 150 miles radius from said plot, then scour the map to find somewhere that sounds like Llundain eureka ! found it Llandudno ! now do a u turn on the motorway and head northwest, sorted ! Not confusing at all : )

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You must be easily confused ;

images

(y)(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Just supposing Carol this DVLA office had been housed in Edinburgh rather than C.....Swansea, would we still get the Welsh option, I doubt that. I also doubt we would have had a Scottish Gaelic option either. My tax office is in Scotland yet never been offered the Scottish Gaelic option.
Personally I think this and the road signs has more to do with using our funds to promote the Welsh language. Sorry just my view......

Gaelic was never spoken as a first language in Edinburgh. Gaelic is a living language in the Highlands and Western Islands. Down here in southern Scotland we speak Scots - think of the language used by Burns and you won't be far wrong. Up in the Northern Isles it was Norn but that has (I think) died out.

I get annoyed when the Gaelic signs start appearing way south of where the language was ever spoken as an everyday language. I'm quite happy with signs in Gaelic where it is an everyday spoken language - doesn't worry me at all as one soon recognises the important words (if not how to say them correctly).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The first time we drove to Spain in 1976 - and I did French at school as we had the choice between French and Spanish - I did find the dual language signs a bit confusing I have to say. OK so we were going to Playa de Aro and Platja is much the same as Playa - but some place names weren't that similar and of course our map wasn't dual language.

So if you are say a Bulgarian lorry driver I bet the Welsh/English signs are confusing.

Brittany - yes - we went in 2009 and couldn't find the campsite we'd picked and got a bit lost in the countryside, so seeing a large house being renovated and loads of builder chappies and their vans on its frontage, we stopped to ask the way. I said in French that I spoke a little French (thinking they'd clock from the reg of the MoHo that we were furriners) and got blank looks. They yelled through the house and down the back garden for Johnny. Johnny dropped what he was doing and came to us. He explained (in French) that he was the only one who spoke French. I looked blank at him this time. Yes, he said - the other guys all only speak Breton!

Roll on Oc becoming more popular, as it apparently is ........

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Where is Cardydd????

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Not far from Casnewydd.
Thought everybody knew that!
Theres a Caerdydd not far from Newport...but fer the life of me never found Cardydd...a learn somfink new everyday I guess.:whistle:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Perhaps the answer .. if the population of Wales want to revitalise the Welsh language (and some studies seem to suggest the younger generation do) is to remove the anglicised versions.. so maybe the bit to remove is the English name for a town..

Wouldn't it be easier to navigate round the Nordrhein-Westfalen if we had grown up knowing that it's main town is called Mönchengladbach?

English of course is not the only language to translate pproper nouns.. but if the United Kingdom is to better unify perhaps recognising the diversity of our peoples is a good step to take

On the other hand, other studies have shown that the younger generation only speak Welsh because they are forced to and will stop as soon as they leave school suggesting the decline of the Welsh language is permanent and the opposite is true...

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Really?
In that case, both spellings, both yours and BenChi's, right or wrong, relate to the same place.(y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
But until relatively recently Welsh was a purely verbal language and the spelling was largely made up as they went.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back