Wells next the sea (1 Viewer)

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
We tried and failed to park the MH at Wells a few weeks ago while staying at Fakenham Racecourse. Came back again a couple of weeks later to stay at nearby CL. (Mill farm I think).

Did fantastic circular bike ride south out of town on a bridleway and then back via a permitted track right through the Holkham estate, with very good views of the house and lake etc. Then through a large carpark leading to Holkham beach, which had a fair number of motorhomes parked in it. Then along a another off road track following the coast that came out to the side of the big expensive campsite and new lifeboat station.

Will be going back out of season just to do the bike ride again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just been, what a bloody nightmare. Tried the beach cafe car park, now has height barriers which they will raise for a coach BUT not a motorhome. Motorhome in front of us was having a right argument with the attendant and drove down a little lane to the side and parked up. I just turned around, helped by the attendant, all amicable, he was apologising for no parking being available and I didn't have an issue, I thanked him for helping me and drive away. I just drove 20 yards and someone in a parkie uniform (remember when they had real parkies !!) driving a van, stopped abruptly alongside us and jumped out of his van right in front of us, there was no reason for him to stop and the road in front of him was clear. I asked if I could help him and his response was that he informed me that he was asking the police to attend, when i asked what for, he just shrugged his shoulders 'because ....' ... Because what I asked ? Ermmm, just go' was his response, so I did, never to return. Correspondence will be sent to the local council over his threatening attitude.

What a shame they haven't made provision for perhaps 10 motorhomes in the town, on a first come first served, basis, at least it would show we're welcome to spend our money there, just the same as anyone driving any other vehicle.

As for 'mobile parkies' ..... Dickhead !

Not for everyone I know but there are two THSs in Wells next the Sea at the moment.
Dave, it's a shame you didn't stay over on either of the THS in Wells. We were at the Primary School one on Polka Rd, a ten minute walk from the centre. We only take the MH to the North Norfolk Coast, if we have somewhere to stay.

If you fancy a change from the coast, here at Hoveton/Wroxham On The Broads, there is a THS at the St John's Primary School with bags of room, and no need to pre book. It is run by the N&S DA, and £10.00 a night. A short walk into the center with lots of places to eat and drink, and a fantastic Thai Restaurant. (y)
You can hire a boat for the day, or for just a few hours and relax on the Broads.

Cheers for now,

Jock. :)

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Wells is local to me, and I would never try to park there in season. It's too small and there's way too much traffic.

The beach car park is too far from the town - the only reason to go there is if you want to go to the dunes. But, if you want to go to the beach, the Lady Anne drive car park, about a mile to the west, is way better. The beach is much better, and it's way less crowded, and there's a new cafe, but the parking is pretty expensive. If it's full try to park up at Holkham Hall and walk down.

The first car park to try in Wells itself is the new town car park just on the west side of Wells (Google maps shows it as two car parks, but it's one, on a new road). Having said that, I drove through in the car during lockdown, and I have a vague recollection that they've now put up a height barrier; not sure about this.

There's one main car park in Wells itself, which is the Freeman Road/Stearmans Yd/etc car park. This is basically all one car park. Good for cars, but I wouldn't try getting the van in there, whatever the regulations are. There are no pub car parks or anything else that's usable. If you can manage a (great) walk of an hour (each way) then probably the best thing to do is to park up at High Creek camp site, which is where U.Toadifact was, and walk in.

If you go out of season, and you're not stopping too long, the first place you should try is the small car park on the harbour front. I've never been in in the van, but I don't remember any restrictions there.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Dave, it's a shame you didn't stay over on either of the THS in Wells. We were at the Primary School one on Polka Rd, a ten minute walk from the centre. We only take the MH to the North Norfolk Coast, if we have somewhere to stay.

If you fancy a change from the coast, here at Hoveton/Wroxham On The Broads, there is a THS at the St John's Primary School with bags of room, and no need to pre book. It is run by the N&S DA, and £10.00 a night. A short walk into the center with lots of places to eat and drink, and a fantastic Thai Restaurant. (y)
You can hire a boat for the day, or for just a few hours and relax on the Broads.

Cheers for now,

Thanks mate. Do I need to be a member of either clubs for the THS ? I am a member of C&MC club. I also tried your recommendation at the marina at Wroxham, but she couldn't fit us in as we are 7.5m and would have hung over the water she said.

Is there somewhere to find a list of the THS's (I assume it means Temporary Holiday Site, a sort of pop up camping lol) ?

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thanks mate. Do I need to be a member of either clubs for the THS ? I am a member of C&MC club. I also tried your recommendation at the marina at Wroxham, but she couldn't fit us in as we are 7.5m and would have hung over the water she said.

Is there somewhere to find a list of the THS's (I assume it means Temporary Holiday Site, a sort of pop up camping lol) ?
This is good information I am thinking of going back out of season but will wait and see what else pops up

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No

Camping and caravan club.
£42 on line membership
Temporary Holiday Sites for members only can best be found on Out&About app

The THS are nearly always in excellent locations, basic facilities and cheap.

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Forgive my ignorance but what is a parkie?
its prob not your ignorance, its your age !!
a parkie or a park keeper used to look after the local park, paid for by the council, always in full uniform, tie shirt and peaked cap and always telling kids off for walking on the grass and not the pathway, confiscating balls that went into the bushes etc. they were a law unto themselves, full of self importance and a loud voice - had absolutely no authority whatsoever and used the Bluff and Persuasion Act of 1962 to great effect !!

i do miss them really,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Sorry Dave, I've been busy and on the road home, but billym has answered your questions for me. (y)

Camping and caravan club.
£42 on line membership
Temporary Holiday Sites for members only can best be found on Out&About app

The THS are nearly always in excellent locations, basic facilities and cheap.
Wot he said Dave, and definitely worth the £42.00 per year. We are only members for the access to the District Associations (DAs), Meets and Rallies, and the THS network. We too use the App for finding the THS in an area we wish to visit.

Cheers,

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
its prob not your ignorance, its your age !!
a parkie or a park keeper used to look after the local park, paid for by the council, always in full uniform, tie shirt and peaked cap and always telling kids off for walking on the grass and not the pathway, confiscating balls that went into the bushes etc. they were a law unto themselves, full of self importance and a loud voice - had absolutely no authority whatsoever and used the Bluff and Persuasion Act of 1962 to great effect !!

i do miss them really,
Well there you go. Up to now, I would have put money on it being a parking warden 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back