Well, we've gone and done it ! (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
After at least 2 years waiting for the perfect van to turn up ( or as close as possible ) we have today ordered a Pilote p700gj for delivery in October - ish from Dicksons of Perth. We've ordered the essential model but upgraded with a few " must haves ".

So why Dicksons ? Although we live in North East Scotland but from Birmingham origininally distance from the dealer was never a problem. We tried 3 dealers, honest comments are ;

Hayes Liesure. Went into reception and was totally ignored, had to ask for attention. Salesman was so vague on specs etc we became totally confused, he had no idea where keys or vans were. We asked for a ballpark figure on our Geist, 7 days later we are still waiting !

SMC. Lovely company but could not get a deal to suit us. 10 out of 10 from salesman Nigel though.

Dicksons of Perth. great px and very good offer to transfer our satellite and TV over to new van. Although we've ordered a 2019 model for October delivery price agreed at today's costs including " add on " packs. Approximately 5k difference on SMC offer.

Have to say we are quite excited and it's going to seem a long wait, however Chris at Dicksons has no objection to us using our van as normal, even if mileage increases - what fantastic customer service. Chris made it a pleasure to spend money .

Updates as they happen will follow.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Out of curiosity what is the pay load.
Just nbeen looking at a G700 the payload is only 370kg. According to Pilotes web site the payload is without driver or water and only 1 gas bottle.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
According to Pilotes brochure figures for the Essential basic spec 660 kg including driver, 50% fuel and water and a 6kg gas bottle.. Less passenger and dog at 100kg, accessories, awning, satellite, solar panel so I'm working on 500 to 550kg. This of course will have to be verified at a weighbridge. In any event more than enough for our needs.

I did grill the salesman on this for our piece of mind so I'm quite happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Congratulations.
After looking around at most of the manufacturer's found Pilote ticked all the boxes, well thought out designs.
Surprised that you were disappointed at Hayes.
The guys in the saleroom from my experience had got it right for a small company.
Left me alone to look but helpfully and knowledgeble if I wanted to ask questions.
A few times had to wait around but they must of had other work to do as well.
The whole buying process through them was excellent.
Will do a final review once I finally get my hands on it.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks Jands, which Pilote have you gone for ?

If only one aspect of Hayes had been poor I could understand it bit have to admit I was most surprised at the lack of service and failure to still not give me a trade in figure, especially as Dicksons and SMC only took a few minutes. I appreciate that our Geist T710 is a bit unusual but it shouldn't be that hard.

Ah well, just can't wait for the new van

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Congratulations! I hope the wait goes quickly... :D

Do you have a trip planned once you pick it up?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Welcome to the Pilote 'GJ' Family. Nicky and I have the P740GJ and love it.

You will have some great times for sure(y)

All the best,

Andrew

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
I have ordered a P740C.
Ordered it in sensation trim.
150hp engine
Auto box
Heavy 4.4t chassis
Air top suspension
Raising bed to give large garage
Raising headboard
Spare wheel
Rev camera
Simulated leather seats
Oven
Lounge bed
Dab radio with steering wheel controls
Skirt drawer
Outside shower.

Next going to get growler and nonstarter from vanbitz

After that
2 Alugas bottles and plumbing
120w solar panel
2nd habitation battery
Satellite dish and 2 tv's (lounge and bedroom)
2 bikes
125cc motorbike ( Honda or Yamaha) and ramp.
Awning.

Will slowly get it all together over the winter.
Taking a few holidays to get everything right.
Ready for next spring

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I have ordered a P740C.
Ordered it in sensation trim.
150hp engine
Auto box
Heavy 4.4t chassis
Air top suspension
Raising bed to give large garage
Raising headboard
Spare wheel
Rev camera
Simulated leather seats
Oven
Lounge bed
Dab radio with steering wheel controls
Skirt drawer
Outside shower.

Next going to get growler and nonstarter from vanbitz

After that
2 Alugas bottles and plumbing
120w solar panel
2nd habitation battery
Satellite dish and 2 tv's (lounge and bedroom)
2 bikes
125cc motorbike ( Honda or Yamaha) and ramp.
Awning.

Will slowly get it all together over the winter.
Taking a few holidays to get everything right.
Ready for next spring

That's a great set-up. A nicely equipped van indeed(y)

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I thought the Sensation spec included a solar panel.

We have ordered the p700gj Essential and added two "packs" from Pilote which give us everything we need including the solar panel and 6kw gas/electric heating.

Delivery expected October, 2019 model but Dicksons have done the deal at today's prices - guaranteed

When we collect we will spend 3 nights on a site close to the dealer just to make sure all is in good order. We shall probably then go around the west coast of Scotland to enjoy what we hope will be a brilliant van.

Not sure about any additional extras yet, our special seems to have it all.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I thought the Sensation spec included a solar panel.

Pilote only includes the pre-wiring for the solar unit and not the solar unit or the regulators etc.

There are a whole load of differences between your model and the Sensation spec so make sure you get all the things you want and will be happy with.(y)

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
If you click on this link and downoad the PDF list then you'll see the different specs.

https://www.pilote-motorhome.uk/motorhome/pacific-range/lowprofile-p700gj/

You will note that the Essential spec is not fully winterised as it doesn't come with an insulated waste tank. You'll also see that electric steps and cab blinds are missing too.

Did SMC quote you for an Essential spec or Sensation?

Cheers,

Andrew

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Congratulations, wishing you many safe, fun, trouble free miles in your new vehicle. It will be a long wait....how many more sleeps?

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Did they know what to the spec difference between the 2018 and 2019 models are?
I noticed some changes between 2017/2018 I liked other changes were not so good.
Main ones between 2017/2018 were increasing the floor insulation but removing the manual lifting headboard now costs £500 for an electric one.
Another big advantage was the option of a skirt drawer.
Be careful as if there are any changes you don't know what you are buying and once the specs are out might be too late to add somthing that is now not standard fit.
We were worried that when looking there could have been a major yearly change on something we thought was essential.
Think that their vans are just about right in the current spec level, but to keep costs down and streamline production things can be deleated from the spec.
Latest year is not always the best, many years ago we bought a creda cooker, about to order the latest then realised they changed it.
The previous year had 3 halogen and one element hobs.
The later one only had one halogen hob.
Creda changed on their own admittion from the better halogen layout to keep costs down, we managed to find the previous years model as wanted 3 halogen hobs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Delivery is scheduled for October but as we can carry on using our current van without restrictions it doesn't really matter.

SMC have quoted for an Essential spec, our choice, and we listed the extras we wanted from the Pilote brochure. It's not published but Pilote have "packs" that be added so we have added two, the export comfort + pack and GB pack which gives us over and above our wishlist. We get the Remis blinds, full reversing cameras kit, radio, upgraded gas/electric heating, solar panel, fly screen door, electric step, oven. We have also added a 4 m awning and cat 1 alarm.

Overall our savings over the Sensation is about 3k after dealer discounts.

2019 launch date is today but very little change is expected, SMC are letting us know if any of the changes will alter our special.

To be honest, considering we are getting a 2019 spec and extras at a guaranteed 2018 price, any change would have to be pretty drastic to put us off.

Last edited:

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Thought you were getting it from Dicksons.
I must admit cannot see many improveents they could make to improve it, especially with the large garage space.
Have seen a few options which make it worse, the 740 comes with 3 gas ringsat the back,with an option for a separate oven.
There is an option for a single cooker unit fitting in the front with 2 gas and one electric hob and oven, the trouble with this is, as I saw at the Newbury show, that it takes all the work surface away.
Gave Hayes a call to ensure we had not got this option by mistake, was ok though, phew.
The worry is that options that have to be done on build is if you forget something can live to regret it.
Decided not to get options that are an aftermath fit ie tv, alarm,solar, gas and awning as can see exactly what I want after getting the van.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
WHOOPS ! You are absolutely right we are buying from Dicksons - the excitement is getting to me

Our needs are all different and because we do a lot of gatherings where electric hook up is not available a solar panel is a must. Awning, with an Old English Sheepdog it's useful for shade. Insurers insist on a cat 1 due to value. We only get 2 gas rings in the 700gj but that's enough for us - or so I'm told !

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
I am intending to go off grid so one of my first additions will be a solar panel, also alugas bottles.
Am getting a growler fitted a couple of days after getting it, after the initial shakedown at a site close to Hayes.
Must admit getting excited too, as it's my first MH getting all the basics that I need.
Have camping stuff that I can initially use as well as hookup leads, hoses and ramps that I am buying. My wife says it's all I talk about now lol.

Hope your changever goes well, and the Pilote is all you hope it will be.
After spending 3 years looking I feel its the best MH on the market for my needs.
Like the thought that has gone into the design, feels clean and fresh inside, and quality workmanship in the fitment.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Exciting times for us both Jands,tempted with an Alugas system but perhaps next year.

Ain't it easy to spend money

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Too easy to add extra expense.
Retiring this summer, costed MH and extras from selling company shares and part of my pension tax free allowance. One off big expense so determined to get it right.
As you said exciting times, for me a total change of life.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
We've been motorhomers for over 25 years and still get excited everyone we pull of the drive. Sometimes even one night away seems so relaxing.

You've got so many great times coming

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Update - the best laid plans etc

New van arrived at Dicksons early December. Unfortunately I was admitted to hospital mid September and to cut a very long story short I'm still recovering in hospital.

I rang Chris at Dicksons to explain and without hesitation he said " don't worry, we'll put the van in our secure storage until you are well enough to collect".

We were already very happy with Dicksons but feel their kindness and service over and above anything we've experienced before. So glad we decided to buy from them.

Further updates after collection will follow

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Update - the best laid plans etc

New van arrived at Dicksons early December. Unfortunately I was admitted to hospital mid September and to cut a very long story short I'm still recovering in hospital.

I rang Chris at Dicksons to explain and without hesitation he said " don't worry, we'll put the van in our secure storage until you are well enough to collect".

We were already very happy with Dicksons but feel their kindness and service over and above anything we've experienced before. So glad we decided to buy from them.

Further updates after collection will follow
Cor blimey,that was a bit of a bummer then! Glad you are on the mend,and looking forward to happy times away. When is your first trip likely to happen?

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to hear that Geistguy, best wishes for a quick recover so you can pick up that lovely van, none of us know what is around the corner.

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thanks for your messages. The plan is two days swapping over our satellite system etc and then fitting extra power points. We will then spend 2 nights on a site "road testing" the new van before taking a week to meander back home on the Moray coast. No route planned as it will depend on the forecast.

Just need the NHS to evict me as soon as possible!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Great news on your new van. I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

Have a great first outing :xThumb:

OP
OP
Geistguy
Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
The NHS finally discharged me in January after 16 weeks, have to say Aberdeen Royal Infirmary were marvelous.

We took our Geist down to Dicksons of Perth last week so that they can swap satellite,TV etc over to our new Pilote. Dicksons allowed us to delay delivery until March so that we will have a 19 registration - yet another kind gesture from them.

Main differences on the "19" model is that the reversing camera is integrated into the large radio display (much neater than on the dash) , pull up blinds rather than the slide across type, all functions apart from the heating are now on a neat screen. I will list any other changes after pick up.

Can't praise Dicksons of Perth enough.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have used Dicksons and would again if they had a van we were after
Had a couple of glitches with our van but all put right without much faff
If you are booking in for hab checks etc book well in advance if you can
Nicky seems to be best organised workshop wise