Well that's the last time I go to swanage (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
In the case of the Dorset Order in question a “motor car” is defined as "a three or four wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle (not being a goods vehicle of un-laden weight of more than 1500 kg or a public service vehicle) constructed or adapted for the carriage of not more than 8 passengers and excludes any vehicle adapted for sleeping purposes".

Why not a simple sign that says 'NO MOTOR HOMES'? We could all understand that.

Unfortunately I didn't see the sign that says, cars and motorcycles only within marked bays, I guess a sub 3.5 tonne MH doesn't count as a car Despite being the same MOT class?

Might be worth sending them a letter asking them the same question and asking for clarification as to what is car. There must be some 4x4s that weigh more than 1500Kg

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Might be worth sending them a letter asking them the same question and asking for clarification as to what is car. There must be some 4x4s that weigh more than 1500Kg
my LR disco 3 had a kerb weight of about 3.3 tons with 5 adults and luggage.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Because the restriction doesn't just apply to motorhomes but to any vehicle which is not a car or motorcycle (Transit vans for instance).

Anyway, the existing signs are clear enough with the graphics they include aren't they?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
We only went in to walk the dog on the beach, flying visit after spending yesterday at corfe castle and the night at a CC site in wareham.

Really enjoyed the walk despite the cold wind, the waves on the beach were impressive and very photogenic, as a town is a bit depressing but I love the groynes on the beach

I guess we just put this down to the anti MH attitude in this country.

You would think a dying seaside town would do everything they could to encourage visitors, especially out of season. £1 for all day parking is great, slapping a parking ticket on vehicles you don't like is just daft.

I certainly won't be returning, by MH or car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Because the restriction doesn't just apply to motorhomes but to any vehicle which is not a car or motorcycle (Transit vans for instance).

Anyway, the existing signs are clear enough with the graphics they include aren't they?

They are clear when you actually notice them. Having previously parked on the front in my car it never occurred to me to look for anti MH signage

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We only went in to walk the dog on the beach, flying visit after spending yesterday at corfe castle and the night at a CC site in wareham.

Really enjoyed the walk despite the cold wind, the waves on the beach were impressive and very photogenic, as a town is a bit depressing but I love the groynes on the beach

I guess we just put this down to the anti MH attitude in this country.

You would think a dying seaside town would do everything they could to encourage visitors, especially out of season. £1 for all day parking is great, slapping a parking ticket on vehicles you don't like is just daft.

I certainly won't be retuning, by MH or car.
Why not contact Dorset County Council using This Page and point out how much they are potentially losing?
They are clear when you actually notice them. Having previously parked on the front in my car it never occurred to me to look for anti MH signage
There isn't any anti-motorhome signage though is there? There is signage which indicates that only cars and motorcycles are allowed but (as pointed out) that doesn't restrict just motorhomes.

As regards noticing the signs, they aren't exactly hidden, being located with the payment machines, are they? :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As I said earlier, the Swanage residents are a strange bunch, they moan about the lack of income from tourists, but then when they arrive in a way they don't like, they get the council to ban it, so that they can moan some more.
I am allowed to say this, I married a girl from Swanage :D

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
That's made my mouth water.

The best swordfish I have had was in a restaurant in Darling Harbour Sydney -(y)

Too true! we also had some great smoked Marlin there (Black Marlin not the Blue)
BUT!
It wasn't a patch on the stuff we used to get in the Bay of Plenty NZ

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

Actually no, it says cars and motorcycles in marked area it doesn't say where motorhomes go, or that they are not allowed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually no, it says cars and motorcycles in marked area it doesn't say where motorhomes go, or that they are not allowed
Actually no, it says Cars and M'cycles only within marked bays. That automatically excludes all vehicles which are not cars or motorcycles.

There is no requirement to say where motorhomes (or other vehicles not allowed) should go.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No signs up here...

20160228_132550.jpg

Peace and quiet and relaxation...

VERY reasonably priced too...;)

JJ :cool:

PS. There were some very, very, very loud screams of joy from that Hymer just a little while ago...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

It is ambiguous . It states cars & motorcycles only WITHIN the blue marked bays. Therefore I'd read it as anything else can overhang , not that they are prohibited.

Exactly.

Actually no, it says Cars and M'cycles only within marked bays. That automatically excludes all vehicles which are not cars or motorcycles.

There is no requirement to say where motorhomes (or other vehicles not allowed) should go.
It doesn't emphasis anything . If it did then it wouldn't be ambiguous. If , as above I highlight 'within' then it means anything else outside the boxes. It would never occur to me that I couldn't park any vehicle ,excluding an artic , anywhere?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It is ambiguous . It states cars & motorcycles only WITHIN the blue marked bays. Therefore I'd read it as anything else can overhang , not that they are prohibited.

Exactly.

It doesn't emphasis anything . If it did then it wouldn't be ambiguous. If , as above I highlight 'within' then it means anything else outside the boxes. It would never occur to me that I couldn't park any vehicle ,excluding an artic , anywhere?
Thank god someone can see my view , thought we were getting overrun with car park and litter inspectors:(

OP
OP
J

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why not contact Dorset County Council using This Page and point out how much they are potentially losing?

There isn't any anti-motorhome signage though is there? There is signage which indicates that only cars and motorcycles are allowed but (as pointed out) that doesn't restrict just motorhomes.

As regards noticing the signs, they aren't exactly hidden, being located with the payment machines, are they? :)

did I say they were hidden? I merely didn't notice the sign, I was busy looking to see how much the parking fee was and paying it, My life doesn't revolve around where I can or can't park my MH, as I have a life I shall just pay the fine and move on, if they don't want to encourage visitors then that is up to them.

whether the sign is anti other types of vehicles or not it is still anti MH, I wouldn't be looking for anti traction engine signs whilst driving a MH would I?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I know @GJH has already replied but I contacted Dorset council last year because they have the same Cars & Motorbikes only signs everywhere - this was about parking near Hengistbury Head. The very nice woman asked what our mh was taxed as & as under 3500 she said it's classed as a car.

We parked up in the said bays with no problem.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

It was my emphasis and, as the sign includes graphics it is not ambiguous.
did I say they were hidden? I merely didn't notice the sign, I was busy looking to see how much the parking fee was and paying it, My life doesn't revolve around where I can or can't park my MH, as I have a life I shall just pay the fine and move on, if they don't want to encourage visitors then that is up to them.

whether the sign is anti other types of vehicles or not it is still anti MH, I wouldn't be looking for anti traction engine signs whilst driving a MH would I?
You said you hadn't noticed the sign but I thought they would be pretty obvious anyway.
I know @GJH has already replied but I contacted Dorset council last year because they have the same Cars & Motorbikes only signs everywhere - this was about parking near Hengistbury Head. The very nice woman asked what our mh was taxed as & as under 3500 she said it's classed as a car.

We parked up in the said bays with no problem.

Appeal, stating the legal definition of motor car.
I don't know what the order for the Hengistbury Head area says but as pointed out before the order covering Swanage excludes "any vehicle adapted for sleeping purposes". It all depends on the individual order.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We stayed on the CC site near Swanage and caught the train in from Harmans Cross so we didn't have to take the van in.

And us. We are regular visitors to Swanage and love the place. We never take a vehicle with us but pay a modest fee to park at Norden and take the train. Only problem is the trains do not run throughout the year, only during the high season and half-terms.
And we highly recommend Parade Fish Bar on the seafront.
Stef.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We had an issue with parking at Swanage also. We had taken our disabled mother-in-law, in the car and parked up on shore road so she could use the toilet facilities at the far end away from the centre, and then we were planning to venture into the town and park up , have a meal etc. We placed the disabled badge in the window and all went to the loo. (We had parked on yellow lines) . 15 mins later we got back to the can to find a penalty ticket-couldn't believe it, it transpired that I had not put the time clock disc on so we were booked for that. despite appeals to Dorset council we had to pay the fine-needless to say we have not been back since neither.:censored:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
despite appeals to Dorset council we had to pay the fine-needless to say we have not been back since neither.
You have to understand that Dorset Council, as well as private car parks, make a very nice income from visitors in summer, through their car parking policy. Swanage is one of those places ideally located to make cash from the motorist. It's at the end of a very long road, with only Corfe between it and Wareham, the toilets are positioned at a place which is mostly inaccessible to toilet facilities by car, and the 'main' carpark is a demanding walk away from the town by anyone with walking difficulties.
You can tell the income value of Swanage to Dorset CC by the number of traffic wardens in evidence, I counted four different ones in a two hour visit last year. And at the end of the day, the whole town has an air of being run down, apart for the small area around the railway station.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back