Well that's the last time I go to swanage (1 Viewer)

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
made the mistake of parking on the sea front in our MH, paid to park, and returned to find a parking ticket on the windscreen, apparently it's the wrong type of vehicle.

Unfortunately I didn't see the sign that says, cars and motorcycles only within marked bays, I guess a sub 3.5 tonne MH doesn't count as a car Despite being the same MOT class?

Not particularly visitor friendly is it, I won't be returning that's for sure

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi,
After (Grrr) we had completed our last trip I found the below site.
I checked out the places we had visited when on our travels and it seemed to tally well with our findings.
If for no other reason it gives you some ideas then it's been worth keeping it.

Park4night.com

Regards

Deleted User
Welcome to motorhoming in the UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
The first time I tried to park in Swanage (1985) it was a total flop. Couldn't get parked anywhere. Same the next time & the time after that. I decided that they didn't want visitors that came by car & gave up. Its a bit of a dump anyway. Perhaps I'm too influenced by the ease of parking in Scotland & just couldn't to being milked as a cash cow, so my intolerance didn't help.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Perhaps I'm too influenced by the ease of parking in Scotland
I wish lol... Just got done in St Andrews for £30..
No complaints mind I just didn't see the parking ticket machine or any sign.. I did have a front wheel on kirb to keep my back end in as much as possible and thought it might have been for that when I saw the ticket... but it was for not getting a ticket...
Andy
P's ..know people who have been done up loch lomond for not been in the correct parking bay... which was poorly signed imo...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
And the Portuguese are not doing the same ?
We got done for parking without a ticket in villamoura, parked in same place before and never had one , so could have changed or we could have been lucky before, anyway top and bottom of it , you couldn't have a fairer system, the ticket was all in Portuguese but had various tariffs on it up to about 180 euros and we feared the worst , but on it were various places to pay the fine, one of them was the post office, anyway it turned out if you payed it within three days ,all the fine was a complete days parking fee which tuned out to be 8 Euros brilliant system. By the way the longer you left it the more it became.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
The White Horse Inn Swanage, a great place for Swordfish Steaks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I guess a sub 3.5 tonne MH doesn't count as a car Despite being the same MOT class?
Nothing to do with MOT Class and (as with most parking orders) all to do with the definition in the order rather than any other definition.

In the case of the Dorset Order in question a “motor car” is defined as "a three or four wheeled mechanically propelled vehicle (not being a goods vehicle of un-laden weight of more than 1500 kg or a public service vehicle) constructed or adapted for the carriage of not more than 8 passengers and excludes any vehicle adapted for sleeping purposes".

As far as I'm aware motorhomes can be parked during the day in Broad Road, Main Beach and North Beach car parks in Swanage.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
In Porto the locals were parking on zebra crossings, seemingly with impunity, that's of course because they are 'local'.

In most of Spain all you have to do (if you have Spanish Plates) is to put the "4ways" on, then you are invisible!. don't work with foreign plates for some reason?.

My wife's cousin parked his Artic; lorry on the roundabout as you enter Grimsby from the A180 Once?. Very neat it was, didn't even stop the traffic!.

Pete

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We locals often park on roundabouts too...

JJ :cool:
Yes and you reverse out from a side road onto a main road, I use the term reverse in the loosest possible sense. More like I found a sixth gear what does it do? Still what do expect from people who got their driving licences out of a cornflakes packet ? (Present company excepted) (y);)

Deleted User
And the Portuguese are not doing the same ?

I dunno, I'll let you know tomorrow when I get there.

But I can assure you that if I encounter the same fluorescent jacketed council jobsworth that infests every UK town then it'll be my first and last visit.

And if I so much as see a "parking eye" signpost I'll be outa there (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Love Swanage its was a regular long weekend for us..just stay on a site and cycle in

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

But I can assure you that if I encounter the same fluorescent jacketed council jobsworth that infests every UK town then it'll be my first and last visit.

You won't(y):)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

The talk was of people wild camping and if their luck ran out the cops would move them off and sometimes fine them.

In Portimao there was talk of the hundreds of MHs being thrown off the car park they have been occupying for months.

Don't miss the sea front at Praia da Rocha, it's stunning.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!

Nope you won't encounter those....but you may encounter the self appointed local car park attendants. I recommend you drive over them and do everybody a favour.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We stayed on the CC site near Swanage and caught the train in from Harmans Cross so we didn't have to take the van in.

Last edited:

Deleted User
Nice CCC site in Corfe where you can catch a bus with your bus pass, catch the train or walk over the beautiful Purbeck hills into Swanage. We did drive in once (in a car) on a Saturday evening in September and it was completely dead. Very depressing.

Spongy

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Swannage is OK. Weymouth`s Better. More "Ale" Pub`s!. We used to go for lunch on the quay. Fridays. Fish and chips NEARLY as good as here, in Gods Country.:):):)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Just got back from a few days in Swanage for my birthday treat. Its a strange place out of season. Very few restaurants but good pubs. Expensive car parking as well as lots of "free" places. Almost deserted but our hotel (The Grand) was full to bursting. Had a superb day at the Tank Museum though. Couldn't recommend that place more highly.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I've not been back to Swanage for years after they posted signs saying no parking for any vehicle with cooking facilities. This was a killer for my pop top that met all other regulations so left and not been back. I didn't want to stay just park for a couple of hours in the town......Crap place anyway.(n)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just got back from a few days in Swanage for my birthday treat. Its a strange place out of season. Very few restaurants but good pubs. Expensive car parking as well as lots of "free" places. Almost deserted but our hotel (The Grand) was full to bursting. Had a superb day at the Tank Museum though. Couldn't recommend that place more highly.
You met my sister in law then, she works on reception there :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My mother in law commented on this a few months back, when we were trying to get parked up. Apparently there was some event in Swanage many moons ago, and lots of motorhomes visited the area. The locals were outraged, so the council introduced the blanket ban on the seafront.
They are a strange bunch down in Swanage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back