Well that was embarrassing ... (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Bobby22 Thanks for the pic :)
i just went out and had a look at that area and yip mine does have 1 there , but it has no sticker and its painted all over and is loose as well , so ill have to rectify that tomorrow.
Today i attacked the positive terminal for jumping with a dremil to clean off all the corrosion.
Thanks again for the help all :)
see pic
20160828_211041_resized.jpg

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Of course you might already have sorted the problem, because the bad earth connection you found probably caused charging problems. Quite likely the battery wasn't fully charged as you expected.
Yip what im pretty sure what has happened is that the bad earth caused it to display symptoms of a flat battery as once this was jump started ( directly at the battery ) :( the MH had a 15 min journey then it was stopped , then i immediately went to restart it and all that happened was like a relay / solenoid clicking sound , then after i cleaned the inside of the earth connection which was badly corroded on the inside , and the battery had been charged all was 100% and seems great so far , actually i remember bringing the MH home and charging the battery then the next day the central locking not even working ( just like again a solenoid clicking then stopping ) , but yet after the earth was cleaned it worked 100% even though the battery had not been charged any more. ( at least i think that was the case ) <>

If you're not convinced, the next step is, try to reproduce the fault. Set it up like it was on the ferry - fridge on, sidelights on etc. Then measure the current from the both the cab and leisure batteries. The fridge has a thermostat so it's not drawing power all the time. It will draw about 10 to 15 amps when it's cooling. It would be useful to know which of the batteries the fridge draws its current from. Sidelights are about half an amp each if they're filament bulbs, much less if they're LEDs. Keep an eye on the voltage too, over the 2 hours, and stop the test if it drops below about 11.5 when drawing current.
I might just try this over the next few days for peace of mind :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@Bobby22 Thanks for the pic :)
i just went out and had a look at that area and yip mine does have 1 there , but it has no sticker and its painted all over and is loose as well , so ill have to rectify that tomorrow.
Today i attacked the positive terminal for jumping with a dremil to clean off all the corrosion.
Thanks again for the help all :)
see picView attachment 121889
Bart yours is a different bolt......no paint on mine.

As long as you put the negative jump lead onto an exposed engine part that should get you an earth connection.......i wouldn't take the paint off that bolt on your picture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
@Bobby22 lol Bobby had a closer look at it in daylight , before when i was looking for the negative jump point i had seen that bolt and ignored it as it felt plastic and was painted white.
then last night in the dark i took them photos and compared them with yous and established that was indeed the negative point.
Well today in daylight i went out again and had another look as was gonna clean of the paint,, thats when i realised it was plastic,, its a plastic cover that is screwed over the top of the metal bolt which is the negative jump.. lol so all is good :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back