Well its done (1 Viewer)

Steve and Bev

Free Member
Feb 24, 2018
Barnsley Yorkshire
Funster No
Hi to all well the option came up to press the button at work and walk away with a few quid in the pocket ok so now we have to spend it we are looking to invest in something like Burstner Elegance LHD i710 G 3.0 2007 19000 miles or 56 Reg Carthago L51 LHD Motorhome 17000 miles looking to spend £35k to £45k and head out for a couple of years across Europe any advise greatly received no real plans yet apart from setting off after Christmas 2018 due to current commitments heading through France Portugal Spain Italy Austria aim to be in Norway for September ish
Not really sure about Motorhome to go for so those were just ones iv seen I like any tips or suggestions ??

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us.
If you're travelling just after Christmas make sure you have heating that's not dependent on electric at campsites as, at that time of year, many sites will be closed. Hot water bottles, although not very trendy, will certainly make you more comfortable at night. A kettle that whistles for use on the gas hob would also be a good idea. At many aires the water will be turned off to prevent freezing, so you will need to ensure that you carry enough in bottles. Exciting times ahead!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Steve and Bev

Welcome.

Since you have almost a year before leaving I suggest you take several months doing research on what MH you want to buy, particularly in relation to

Payload and Licence requirements above 3500kg

Winterising - double/heated floor for tanks/pipes

Layout - garage? fixed beds?

With that budget you should have no problem finding a good used MH, but maybe you need a week in Germany, having first researched such websites as mobile.de (English available)

Go onto manufacturers' websites for older vehicle specifications - ignore the pretty pictures - just read the specifications - they use wide camera lenses, but the specs give bed sizes etc.

Dealers are out to take your money, but your job is to spend it on what you want, not what they have and want to sell.

Do not ignore the private sale market - could save 10%.

Post for more advice.

Geoff

OP
OP
Steve and Bev

Steve and Bev

Free Member
Feb 24, 2018
Barnsley Yorkshire
Funster No
Steve and Bev

Welcome.

Since you have almost a year before leaving I suggest you take several months doing research on what MH you want to buy, particularly in relation to

Payload and Licence requirements above 3500kg

Winterising - double/heated floor for tanks/pipes

Layout - garage? fixed beds?

With that budget you should have no problem finding a good used MH, but maybe you need a week in Germany, having first researched such websites as mobile.de (English available)

Go onto manufacturers' websites for older vehicle specifications - ignore the pretty pictures - just read the specifications - they use wide camera lenses, but the specs give bed sizes etc.

Dealers are out to take your money, but your job is to spend it on what you want, not what they have and want to sell.

Do not ignore the private sale market - could save 10%.

Post for more advice.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff
Licence no issues passed before 97 also hold PSV so used to large vehicles definitely want refillable gas, winterised, Garage bigger enough for a 125 moped, fixed rear bed, the Vans I have been looking at pretty much fit the bill was just asking if anyone had any experience with either of the ones I have highlighted or maybe any pros or cons or even a better choice
cant wait to hit the road so an early purchase would just mean some local ish trips before the big one

Thanks again for your advise
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Hi-smiley.png
Both your suggestions are nice quality MoHo , but you need to get inside and look and visualise your usage of the particular layouts , as you will read repeatedly on the forums its one of if not the major consideration when buying especially for longterm usage , what you can put up with for a weekend a way will drive you nuts after three months or less, eg single beds . or double , transverse or longitudinal , permanent or make up , and so it goes on . Do you use sites and ehu or rely on solar and big battery bank ?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks Geoff
Licence no issues passed before 97 also hold PSV so used to large vehicles definitely want refillable gas, winterised, Garage bigger enough for a 125 moped, fixed rear bed, the Vans I have been looking at pretty much fit the bill was just asking if anyone had any experience with either of the ones I have highlighted or maybe any pros or cons or even a better choice
cant wait to hit the road so an early purchase would just mean some local ish trips before the big one

Thanks again for your advise
Steve

Steve

From that post you do sound as though you have most of the major parts of your specifications lined up, so maybe a lot of my post was unnecessary.

As you seem to be concentrating on LHD maybe the UK market is best, but you did not say whether those 2 targets were UK or Continent.

Have you tried going on specific Burstner and Cathargo MH websites?

I have a N+B Arto and the UK Owners club is where I would go for specific advice on the Marque.

Geoff

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
HEllo and welcome! Spend the best £15 and become full members and you can download Jims really useful book on buying a MH .
Lots of help advice banter and friendship on here!
Go for it as you never know what’s round the corner.:):WelcomeFlag:w2f

ACB

Feb 1, 2018
Darnac, 87320, France
Funster No
MH
Bürstner Elegance i800
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Steve & Bev,
Welcome to motorhome fun from an old Barnsley boy!!
I retired to France in 2017 and bought my first MH a LHD Bürstner Elegance i800, 3.0l automatic.
The vehicle is excellent and is being well used.
If you are looking for a LHD I would suggest Belgium or Germany, buying any type of vehicle in France is way too expensive.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I think you have already specified two great Motor-Homes, I almost bought the Carthago E-line Yachting but at the last minute incread my budget and went for the biggest Frankia. I also think you've made a wise choice in seeing a bit of this world while you are still fit and able.

Welcome to the Fun and @nicholsong 's advice reads well. If you triple your budget you can have mine if she'd let me sell it.

Downsizing1_800x533.jpg

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Is the LHD Carthago you are looking at the one on ebay in South Yorkshire. I wouldn't trust the seller one iota after contacting him.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back