Well i paid on collection day........... (1 Viewer)

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Hi thanks for all your advice about paying up front for our new MH, we paid on collection, although if we hadn't booked a weekend away that day we would of walked away!

There was a snagging list like you cannot believe! From the day i put the deposit down they had a five week window to PDI the vehicle and stick an awning on, from what i saw i reckon Stevie Wonder done the PDI.

Window blinds that did not operate properly, window clips hanging off, dirty marks on the walls, sealant all over the place, chipped paint on the door frame, decals on motorhome ripped and poorly applied, Van exterior cleaned by someone with an aversion to water, missing pads on the kitchen work surface, gaps in the bodywork where i presume sealant is used to marry the panels, plus other bits and bobs that just leave a bit of a sour taste.

After the weekend away, we took it straight back and left them to get it sorted and it has been back with them a week although somethings will have to come from chausson so it will need to go back again!

So far i have had a lot of sorry about this and we will get it sorted and had a free cup of tea, the salesman and the service lady have been great and you can tell they are embarrassed but that doesnt really cut it when it is a 100 mile round trip each time to take it back and pick it up again and it is not over yet.

I have tried to contact the dealer principle so at least he is aware they are sending brand new vans out in this state and am awaiting a reply so will refrain from naming the dealer until i get some sort of response.

Am i being a snowflake, or should i expect more from a respected dealer?

Mick

I understand they have to manage expectations etc with a moving house on a vehicle that things may fail, but these are all basic things

OP
OP
M
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
I presume it has been in stock all year and they were discounting to clear the 2018 models, so it may of had people looking round it for a good while but the only mileage on it was the drive to the Ford dealer to do the engine and running gear PDI. was happy with that as long as they brought it back up to spec before hand over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Now they have your money it could be a all
new ball game. You might have been better
to reject it at collection than face months of
going back and forth at your expense.

Ray

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Window blinds that did not operate properly, window clips hanging off, dirty marks on the walls, sealant all over the place, chipped paint on the door frame, decals on motorhome ripped and poorly applied, Van exterior cleaned by someone with an aversion to water, missing pads on the kitchen work surface, gaps in the bodywork where i presume sealant is used to marry the panels, plus other bits and bobs that just leave a bit of a sour taste.
When I read that my first thoughts were you had brought a British built van, surprised to find it wasn't.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Took my van back to our Belgium dealer last week for a couple of warranty items. When I collected it he said we have ordered a new hab door trim, I asked why there's nothing wrong with it. He said we thought it was a bit lose no problem it's under warranty. I still can't find anyrthing wrong with it, they appear to look on warranty work as a way of keeping their workshops busy, a bit different to the British attitude.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Am i being a snowflake, or should i expect more from a respected dealer?

Mick

Paying was your big mistake, nothing focusses their minds more than lack of cash.

Now it is time to learn polite but in a brutally firm way. You still hold the aces. "I'm sorry but I will have reject this if it is not up to a saleable standard when I next see it". That will push up Andrex sales.

Whatever you do, don't let it drag on, that's handing back your advantage.

Complaints in writing is good especially if you get a reply - email OK.

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Wow that level of snagging at pickup just shows they have a total disregard to you and just don't care, with that amount wrong I would have demanded to see the sales manager/company director and ask him what the hell is going on and walked away regardless if a weekend away was booked. I am due to pickup my new motorhome in 9 days and for £46,500 it had better be perfect in fact whatever is paid specially if new it should be perfect as new, you wouldn't accept a new car in that state. I would be asking for compensation loss of enjoyment. You should never have accepted it, as for them asking for full payment 10 days before pickup joke you say they are a well known dealer I would take this to the top. I hope all works out its a shame its been marred by a cowboy dealer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
This is what worries me, and i wish it was 46K , the dealer is a very big concern but it appears that the directors, who are at another site have no idea vehicles are going out like this.

I asked for a price for a solar panel and they quoted the price of the panel plus four hours labour at £66 an hour, i commented that at that price can i assume this fitter will have 20/20 vision? :cry::cry:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am due to pickup my new motorhome in 9 days and for £46,500 it had better be perfect

Get ready for disappointment then. It's a hugely complex construction built in small numbers, to a price, largely by hand so little or no similarity to a car.

Downgrade your perfection to acceptable.

Upvote 0

Fontie

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 7, 2018
Milton Heights, Milton, Abingdon, UK
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL
Exp
Since 2018
Get ready for disappointment then. It's a hugely complex construction built in small numbers, to a price, largely by hand so little or no similarity to a car.

Downgrade your perfection to acceptable.

Wow seriously, no wonder motorhome makers/dealers get away with supplying shoddy vans. How its built and in what numbers shouldn't make a difference. The dealer knew what was wrong with the ops van, they have eyes and didn't do anything to put them right. Reading what you have said I am now going to go to my dealer on Thursday and ask to see my van and write down any snags I see then gives them a week to put right.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How its built and in what numbers shouldn't make a difference
Reading what you have said I am now going to go to my dealer on Thursday and ask to see my van and write down any snags I see then gives them a week to put right.

Ideally it should not make a difference but humans are given so many minutes to do their job and they will not be thanked if they hold up the whole line fitting a part to perfection. It seems the manufacturers are quite happy to keep the line going and let the dealer sort out their problems later.
Now that is brilliant. Way to go. There is a huge amount to see, the most complex and interesting hidden at the backs of cupboards, miles of pipe and wires. Not to mention thousands of screws, gallons of sticky stuff.

I wonder if OP's van was even there a week before. I wonder if yours will be.

But if you think "house" rather than "car" when framing your expectations it might improve your blood pressure.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I am due to pickup my new motorhome in 9 days and for £46,500 it had better be perfect in fact
You may be expecting too much 46K is not a lot for a Motorhome.
I asked for a price for a solar panel and they quoted the price of the panel plus four hours labour
4 hours to fit a solar panel is very reasonable but I never pay for anything I can do myself and I would buck at £66 an hour but a lot of dealers charge as much as £80/hr.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am due to pickup my new motorhome in 9 days and for £46,500 it had better be perfect

If you search this forum you will see a thread on the purchase of a £275,000 motorhome what was just as bad as OP. ( Well it was a while ago so I'll not guarantee 100% accuracy ).

Price means nothing. More price, more complexity, more expectations, more disappointments.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
4 hours to fit a solar panel is very reasonable

Yes, it looks so easy in your mind's eye. Glue down, hole, run wires to controller and battery.

But it is the "run wires to controller and battery" that, as they say, sorts the men from the boys.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Regardless of the converter, it doesn't matter, I hope you get everything fixed and enjoy your motorhoming experience (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M
Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Got to say though, even with the tinge of disappointment, we had a great weekend in Castleton on our first weekend in the motorhome and looking forward to this weekends jaunt to Bassenthwaite in the lake district!

My annoyance is easily quelled!

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry its Braithwaite Fold, didn't even know where i was going! :LOL:

We go at least once a year, love the place. Can't fault town or campsite. Usually go for a Jazz Cruise but they've finished for this year now.

A newish gem there is the Tapas Bar opposite Tesco. But no shortage of eateries there.

Another option around now, they allow over night parking on the road just outside Braithwaite Fold but is banned Easter to Oct though we always see the odd van there all year, it depends on how you read the parking notice.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.3...4!1sqkjSeLRyRs9JMfmV8uzPeg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I think they work on the old car dealer principal. Why bother fixing it until someone points out that it’s faulty. We had a wander round a large dealer who sells Swift MH’s. Looking at the state of some of the stock you wonder how they manage to sell it. Some of the leathery looking trim was actually peeling away. Bits hanging off and bits missing. I know everything is hand built and built to a price but they seem to be using cheaper and cheaper fittings and now even small fridges. They have won with the OP as they have got his money and he has got his MH. He will be backwards and forwards to the dealer now trying to get it fixed unless he just rejects it and starts again.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm always sad to read of problems with new and used Moho's. We put so much of our hard earned into them and time after time we're disappointed.
For anyone oop norf and in the process of looking for a new to them van a check at BCS Manchester might be worth it. The stock is so well presented its a credit to them. None of this we'll fix it before you pick it up, everything we saw was 100% ready to go even serviced and new cam belts if needed.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But if you think "house" rather than "car" when framing your expectations it might improve your blood pressure.
My last house , bought off plan& kept on top of the whole way through, was utter shite. Even with 2 x 4" files of correspondence it still took them 12 more months , to complete to what I wanted. Plus everything they had to give us to stop all the aggro. Lying barstewards all at the top.

Upvote 0

RichardandKaren

Free Member
Oct 4, 2017
Leamington Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido 786F
On the other hand....I bought our first motorhome last July and it's been virtually perfect. I suspect though that the reason being is that is was 13 years old when I bought it and had been totally fettled by previous owners. Dealer was great at the time - 3 hours handover, spotted a couple of tiny issues and fixed them straightaway. We will probably exchange for a newer version in a couple of years time, but there is no way I would buy a new M/H ( even if I could afford to) so will be buying used again. Much better value - for same reasons I don't buy a new car - buy one that is between 12 months and 24 months old. If you are prepared to wait a while and look around I suspect you will usually find a second hand M/H that ticks most if not all of your boxes.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
On the other hand....I bought our first motorhome last July and it's been virtually perfect. I suspect though that the reason being is that is was 13 years old when I bought it and had been totally fettled by previous owners. Dealer was great at the time - 3 hours handover, spotted a couple of tiny issues and fixed them straightaway. We will probably exchange for a newer version in a couple of years time, but there is no way I would buy a new M/H ( even if I could afford to) so will be buying used again. Much better value - for same reasons I don't buy a new car - buy one that is between 12 months and 24 months old. If you are prepared to wait a while and look around I suspect you will usually find a second hand M/H that ticks most if not all of your boxes.
I feel much the same although I don't agree affordability is the real issue. At whatever budget you set you get more for the money buying second-hand. My current van had done 3500 miles when I bought it. Most if not all of the interior had never been used. It cost the original owner £40K depreciation over four years.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
I think a lot of trouble with new vans is the company selling them has not always had to pay for them directly until after they have sold them.

I have a friend who goes to showrooms, car, motorhome and boats ,outboards etc. He is employed by a separate company who has to go around these showrooms to check stock is actually there. The money for lots of these vehicles is put up by a consortium of people and is a loan to the company. Once the vehicle is sold the company pays back the consortium.

So my view is why would they fix a fault on a vehicle until it has been accepted and bought by a customer which they can then apply for warranty work (at a reduced cost)

If I bought a new van and it had a list of problems within the 30 days and not been resolved I would reject. Nothing would focus the mind more than having to hand over a wad of cash that you had only just got your hands on.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back