Free Member
Mar 25, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just joined as the missus and me are thinking of getting a motorhome, still not quite made our minds up yet. As the kids are grown up if we get one it will be for just the two of us.

Probably looking at something around 2003 vintage to start with but have heard some real horror stories about damp etc which is very offputting and seriously starting to make us think twice. It's a lot of money to throw away if we buy a bad one... and what is a bad one...? :Sad:

Taken a liking to the layout of the Swift Sundance 590RS with the 2.3 engine and found a 2003 locally with 55k on the clock for £16k. Private sale though so no warranty. And a few people have told us to avoid Swift as they are one of the worst for suffering with damp ?

All advice and thoughts much appreciated to help us avoid buying something that we'll lose a fortune on. Cars and bikes I'm good with, motorhomes I'm totally new to so am jumping in at the deep end.

Looking forward to your thoughts which will be much appreciated. :thumb:

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
:party2::welcome::party2:

Have a look Link Removed for lots of information regarding your proposed purchase.

OP
OP
N

naggedhusband

Free Member
Mar 25, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
That's useful, thanks for that. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
:welcomefunster: Don't be put off by those miserable old gits on the BB forum :Smile:

Get yourself one of these: Link Removed and view the van with a modicum of common sense and I'm sure you'll be fine. :Cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You are right to worry about damp in a motorhome, the vast majority don't suffer from it, but if buying from a dealer then insist that damp and any parts and labour for repairs are ncluded/covered

If you do buy a damp motorhome, it will literally rot away, damp meters are good for finding early signs but if it's serious your nose will tell you.

Does it smell of damp? Smell inside cupboards, wardrobes and under the sink. Study the roof lining and look for visible stains and water marks. Pay particular attention around the roof vent openings and where walls meet ceiling and where walls meet walls. Look for rust showing on any nails or screws or staples.

Look inside the overhead cabinets and check the ceiling. Mildew stains may show up as black spots on ceilings and wallboards, but behind the scenes, where the water has entered there may well be dry-rot problems. Check the area where the wall panel meets the floor for water marks, also look carefully in all the corners, these will often be in cupboards, but look carefully as corners are very susceptible to leaking. Look in the area underneath each window. Water ingress can also cause delamination to walls and floor especially so here.

Once water is getting in, it may travel to a different part of the motorhome and do its damage there. The cost of putting right rotting walls, floors or ceilings is horrendous so if in doubt then walk away. Best of luck :thumb:

Oh and welcome to the fun:Smile::thumb:

AndyPandy

Free Member
Jun 14, 2012
Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
:welcomefunster: Don't be put off by those miserable old gits on the BB forum :Smile:

Get yourself one of these: Link Removed and view the van with a modicum of common sense and I'm sure you'll be fine. :Cool:

+1, sound advice

Hi and welcome. Your looking at the same van we got and we love ours.

If you look hard enough, it seems to me you can find someone with a bad example of just about any van. Theres a lot with Swifts but theres a hell of a lot built so as a proportion they probably no worse than others.

Good luck mate

Andy

Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
I am paranoid about damp
So I bought a factory panel van conversion
They are not as small as you think, well worth a look :thumb:

OP
OP
N

naggedhusband

Free Member
Mar 25, 2013
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
:thumb:163phil: Fancy meeting you here. ::bigsmile:

Thanks everyone for the welcome and all the tips and advice, it's much appreciated. There's obviously a lot to learn.

Stevang

Free Member
Apr 19, 2016
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Galaxy
Exp
This is an old post but hopeully you can help .... I saw in the cupboard an area disscolour just on 4 staples and when pressing the ceiling heard a cracking sound a my finger going through in about a 8inch area ... the dealer said it had no signs of damp..... is this problem fixed or should I insist they remove the pic covering the area to check if it' dryrot ... thanks in advance

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
This is an old post but hopeully you can help .... I saw in the cupboard an area disscolour just on 4 staples and when pressing the ceiling heard a cracking sound a my finger going through in about a 8inch area ... the dealer said it had no signs of damp..... is this problem fixed or should I insist they remove the pic covering the area to check if it' dryrot ... thanks in advance

Hi, I would suggest you start a fresh thread .(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back