Well done Montreuil! (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry, but we've being travelling via Rouen for about 10yrs and never seen this mystical tunnel. A bit like the 'gassings'! 🤔😂

Terry
Oh the tunnels are defintely there as I used them in the car in 2013 on the diversion after the bridge was burnt out. I thought they were only 2m in height? Also they appeared to have been erected before the war.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Same here. (y)
Kate likes La Mailleraye so much she would willingly spend the whole trip there.
If only the sun shone in northern France the way is does in the south. :cool::giggle:

Richard.
Like Kate , my wife Ann would like to stay there more than a night or two , but as we only go for max 4 weeks , I get itchy feet /wheels (hence my handle FIDGET) I try not too stay anywhere more than 2 nights , so much to see over there , love the villages , aires , shabby chic houses & relaxed way of life.
Roll on next year , hopefully June.
I enjoy your 's & Lenny's travels , very envious !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The long drag into Rouen the landmark of the faded 'stella artois' advert on the side of the old railway building which I can remember was there in the 1970s - gone as the building has been demolished a fair time ago. The (Friesian) cows were still there on the island after the tunnel Grand Mar, but the Friesian hide mural on the concrete wall, wasn't.

Last time in France we decided to have a look at a naturist campsite belonging to the CS Rouen, at Anneville/Ambourville hence missed out he hassle of crossing Rouen by normal previous routes. It's situated in one of the 'loops' of the river, which we crossed via a BAC - ie free vehicle ferry. That was different and recommended if you're in no hurry and like to do something a bit different for a change - even if you don't want to go to the CS.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
The long drag into Rouen the landmark of the faded 'stella artois' advert on the side of the old railway building which I can remember was there in the 1970s - gone as the building has been demolished a fair time ago. The (Friesian) cows were still there on the island after the tunnel Grand Mar, but the Friesian hide mural on the concrete wall, wasn't.

Last time in France we decided to have a look at a naturist campsite belonging to the CS Rouen, at Anneville/Ambourville hence missed out he hassle of crossing Rouen by normal previous routes. It's situated in one of the 'loops' of the river, which we crossed via a BAC - ie free vehicle ferry. That was different and recommended if you're in no hurry and like to do something a bit different for a change - even if you don't want to go to the CS.
'No rush for us at the naturist campsite. Everyone is so friendly, we all just hang out together ...' (y) :LOL: Standards are not the only things that are falling this year ... :unsure:

Steve

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
'No rush for us at the naturist campsite. Everyone is so friendly, we all just hang out together ...' (y) :LOL: Standards are not the only things that are falling this year ... :unsure:

Steve
Been so chilly so far that not much would be hanging……….

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, here we are, ensconced in a Huttopia site at Sarlat. €39 for two nights. As at most Huttopia sites we’ve stayed at, the standards are high. Clean toilets and showers, cleaned twice a day and lots of hot water for showers and washing up. We have a tap right next to our pitch but the water is so heavily chlorinated, or whatever, it makes tea or coffee made with it, virtually undrinkable. I raised this with the polyglot staff member and she got very defensive about it.

I simply asked “is the water near our pitch drinkable?“ “But of course! It is a matter of the lo; eef the watter is nurt safe to drink, we murst, by lo, put up ze notice not to drink eet!“ I replied, “ fair enough, was just asking because it tasted really bad“. “Well, we drink it all the time and we are alright, so far! “ I said ” and long may it continue, madame, merci.”

I was tempted to say “you probably also say andouiette, tripeaux, gesiers and tête de veau are alright” but pulled that punch. 😉

Sarlat is lovely but still really full of holidaymakers. All the shops in the medieval centre are full of tourist tat and over-priced wine, nougat and paté de fois gras. The latter could be free as far as I am concerned and I wouldn’t thank you for it.

It has rained all Saturday night and it’s still raining. Even the little red squirrel running about the sanitaire block number 2 looks pissed off.
Next to us are another Brit in a swanky Chausson, two French vans, a Dutch and a van with Czech plates. We haven’t spoken to our fellow campers as no one wants to leave their vans and get soaked to the skin.
We set off to Rodez tomorrow as the last stopping post before Marseillan Plage.
F4BB4E3F-ED6D-465D-B7B2-EB148E900EB9.jpeg
0E342E38-66D7-407B-97EE-652BEA79C3A8.jpeg
1DA86D0B-489A-4ECF-8537-BE805E607D38.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry, but we've being travelling via Rouen for about 10yrs and never seen this mystical tunnel. A bit like the 'gassings'! 🤔😂

Terry
Those mystical tunnels are where they store the nicked Rolexs, wads of moolah, ipads, etc nicked from gassed motorhomers. 🤭

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015

F0AE6A36-9485-4155-9273-BF689722232D.jpeg

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have hit the chains in Rouen then stood on the brakes then waited for some one to smash in the back of us. Luckily nobody did but then you have to reverse back onto the highway . All part of the fun.
I drove through that bye-pass by"accident with a 2m.70 high van. Only just, but more than what's written at the entrance to the first tunnel. Did get a few grey hairs.

Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Oh the tunnels are defintely there as I used them in the car in 2013 on the diversion after the bridge was burnt out. I thought they were only 2m in height? Also they appeared to have been erected before the war.
they are not. At least more than 2m70 as I drove through with a van of that hight

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, we left Sarlat this morning after filling with water (as we have a night on a parking-only aire tonight). Lovely, almost traffic-free trip down the A20 and the D840 to Rodez, only to find that the earmarked aire was packed solid, with a van parked up next to the grey water drain. So moved onto a former municipal aire, now closed, at Gage
image.jpg
41E76905-60EB-4C66-960D-634EA30C41E6.jpeg
le Haut, about 13km from Rodez and are now happily parked up, in a lovely field, beside a river, trees etc and all alone. So all’s well that ends well (especially after the oil warning light scare this morning).

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Well, we left Sarlat this morning after filling with water (as we have a night on a parking-only aire tonight). Lovely, almost traffic-free trip down the A20 and the D840 to Rodez, only to find that the earmarked aire was packed solid, with a van parked up next to the grey water drain. So moved onto a former municipal aire, now closed, at Gage View attachment 544543View attachment 544544le Haut, about 13km from Rodez and are now happily parked up, in a lovely field, beside a river, trees etc and all alone. So all’s well that ends well (especially after the oil warning light scare this morning).
That looks so tranquil! Enjoy the stay

Steve

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Had a really good night’s sleep after a 7km jog around the village. No other vans. Had it not been Monday, the little café next to the parking serves lovely pizzas and the owner is very friendly (so we were told).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back