Well done Montreuil! (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
On day 2 of our autumnal French trip. Found a spot on the handy aire at Montreuil and had a peaceful night. I went for my jog along the ramparts and watched the Sun rise. We went to drain our waste and fill up with fresh water (2€ for 10 minutes). But when we linked up to the bourne, having paid the 2€ the freshwater wouldn’t start.
My better half and navigator rang the tourist office who gave her the number for the mairie. I expected the response to be “contact the bourne provider” but I was wrong. Within 10 minutes, a van with two men arrived and fixed the bourne. They tested it and then gave us 2€ in case their tests had used up the time we needed. As it happens, we filled 100 litres with the remaining time. So we effectively filled up for free.

Then we nearly became another statistic of those caught by the low underpasses in Rouen. Our sat nav didn’t take us through the main tunnel but took is through the centre and eventually right to the low underpass. “Luckily” we saw it in time but not before the warning chain had dented and cracked our RoadPro satellite dish cover.

But we then cracked on (sorry) to Mamers where we spent a quiet night in a lovely aire, that closed today, Friday at noon. The staff were very friendly and although we were the only guests (13€ with hook up) they were happy for us to stay. We showered and left before 11. Then onto tonight’s stop. Free, at Route 66 Biker’s Harry’s Bar just south of Poitiers. Its in Park for Night. Very friendly biker owner was happy for us to park up and we’ll pop in for a few beers this evening. He explained that he and his wife bought the business last year just before the lock down and was hanging on by the skin of his teeth and helpful French neighbours. So far, we‘re the only van here and, being Friday night, we’re a bit curious and a little anxious as to what to expect when we go into the bar later. We had a nap when we arrived and have just had some more rain. There is a lovely rainbow.
Really enjoying taking our time getting to the south. Tomorrow, we aim for an aire at Sarlat.

We are so lucky to be able to do this and never forget what a privilege it is.
7E51AB1C-753B-4AA8-940E-28A072DD32D9.jpeg
97810A67-2D86-4495-9B34-43F5571B96DD.jpeg

Mamers site

B663B796-8E79-4E68-B52F-5FC0C3BDDB3A.jpeg

rainbow at Harry’s Bar
4B62DA62-B6DD-4BF9-9A11-86FFF48080A6.jpeg

sunrise from Montreuil ramparts

4B4E5B93-9FF4-4994-9341-61EEED1C8E0A.jpeg

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Our sat nav didn’t take us through the main tunnel but took is through the centre and eventually right to the low underpass.
Wasn’t Garmin by any chance as ours did similar.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Great wandering around Montreuil, but watch the edge of the ramparts - no fencing and a long way down :eek:
I almost came unstuck on the ramparts but for a different reason: a friend and I were motorcycle touring and staying at a mix of Youth Hostels and Relais Routiers. We were staying in the Hostel at Montreuil and spent an evening sitting on the ramparts. It was daylight when we sat down and dark as we were about to leave. I was past halfway to jumping off when I remembered what was(n't) below. Frantic heeling and bruised elbows got me back but only just. Quite frightening at the time.

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006
Lovely place Mamers, Campsite by the lake and Municipal aire just down the road. That pic looks like the campsite, and if you haven't visited Oradour Sur Glane its worth a stop while in the area.
DSC_0726-600.jpg
DSC_0754-600.jpg
DSC_0742-600.jpg
DSC_0729-600.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I almost came unstuck on the ramparts but for a different reason: a friend and I were motorcycle touring and staying at a mix of Youth Hostels and Relais Routiers. We were staying in the Hostel at Montreuil and spent an evening sitting on the ramparts. It was daylight when we sat down and dark as we were about to leave. I was past halfway to jumping off when I remembered what was(n't) below. Frantic heeling and bruised elbows got me back but only just. Quite frightening at the time.
😱 They‘re really high!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I post this irregularly on Rouen convertible threads for future reference

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I post this irregularly on Rouen convertible threads for future reference

Over many years we have not found a sensible alternative to bypass Rouen. The motorway becomes Dual carriageway at the city's edge and drops down through a tunnel. Exit this in the inside lane and in 1.5km take the 3rd exit signed to Vernon. The slip road ends in traffic lights - go in the centre lane to turn left across a dual carriageway. You should now be in the right hand lane for the next set of lights. Go straight on then bear right onto the D6015 signed for Vernon. In a little while the Seine appears on your right and you are clear of the City
And on your way to Pont de L’Arche aire 👍

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
On day 2 of our autumnal French trip. Found a spot on the handy aire at Montreuil and had a peaceful night. I went for my jog along the ramparts and watched the Sun rise. We went to drain our waste and fill up with fresh water (2€ for 10 minutes). But when we linked up to the bourne, having paid the 2€ the freshwater wouldn’t start.
My better half and navigator rang the tourist office who gave her the number for the mairie. I expected the response to be “contact the bourne provider” but I was wrong. Within 10 minutes, a van with two men arrived and fixed the bourne. They tested it and then gave us 2€ in case their tests had used up the time we needed. As it happens, we filled 100 litres with the remaining time. So we effectively filled up for free.

Then we nearly became another statistic of those caught by the low underpasses in Rouen. Our sat nav didn’t take us through the main tunnel but took is through the centre and eventually right to the low underpass. “Luckily” we saw it in time but not before the warning chain had dented and cracked our RoadPro satellite dish cover.

But we then cracked on (sorry) to Mamers where we spent a quiet night in a lovely aire, that closed today, Friday at noon. The staff were very friendly and although we were the only guests (13€ with hook up) they were happy for us to stay. We showered and left before 11. Then onto tonight’s stop. Free, at Route 66 Biker’s Harry’s Bar just south of Poitiers. Its in Park for Night. Very friendly biker owner was happy for us to park up and we’ll pop in for a few beers this evening. He explained that he and his wife bought the business last year just before the lock down and was hanging on by the skin of his teeth and helpful French neighbours. So far, we‘re the only van here and, being Friday night, we’re a bit curious and a little anxious as to what to expect when we go into the bar later. We had a nap when we arrived and have just had some more rain. There is a lovely rainbow.
Really enjoying taking our time getting to the south. Tomorrow, we aim for an aire at Sarlat.

We are so lucky to be able to do this and never forget what a privilege it is. View attachment 543404View attachment 543405

Mamers site

View attachment 543407

rainbow at Harry’s Bar
View attachment 543408

sunrise from Montreuil ramparts

View attachment 543410
Lovely pictures! We've driven past the Mamers turn off several times without knowing about the site!

What height is your motorhome, please? I'd like to avoid the bridge, or at least know that I can get underneath without emerging with a coupé (y)

Steve

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I got in the zone stupidly following a dutch Motorhome imo heading east so followed him. He indicated right to the underpass then changed his mind last minute I couldn’t pull out hence hit the chains. Lesson learnt follow your own route.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Yes. 10 year old Garmin, with updated maps.
They need telling , they will only change a route when so many complain. I sent an email off.
Good to hear you managed to get yourself around and are now enjoying your holiday.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I really don't understand how anyone ends up in those underpasses at Rouen they appear very obvious to me.
Now days I go straight across the river and then head south and onto the free motorway much easier and quicker.
Try telling that to Garmin!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Lovely pictures! We've driven past the Mamers turn off several times without knowing about the site!

What height is your motorhome, please? I'd like to avoid the bridge, or at least know that I can get underneath without emerging with a coupé (y)

Steve
Our van is 3 metres and 10cm which includes the RoadPro satellite dome. Sorry, that should read “our van was 3 metres and 10cm”. Now it’s a little less! 😀

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Enjoying this thread - think the weather is much better in the south! ☔ The stopover at Route 66 sounds interesting 👍

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Our van is 3 metres and 10cm which includes the RoadPro satellite dome. Sorry, that should read “our van was 3 metres and 10cm”. Now it’s a little less! 😀
'Sorry for your loss' ... :rolleyes:(y). Thanks very much. I'll go in search of the bridge names to see if I can find the clearance height. Brunhilde is 2.75m, but I work on 3m to give myself a wee margin. There was nothing on Telly anyway, so you didn't miss much, not even the Warning Chains ... :unsure: I am a bad person and I'll never go to Heaven!

Steve

Aug 19, 2007
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Tribute 615T sport
Exp
17 years + since 2006

Steve
the underpass in Rouen is 2.4m you can see the sign just before i turn left at the lights , which would maybe be too late. Almost went down myself on my first trip many years ago and know someone who lost the top of her PVC on one. Luckily on the video it was quiet as i knew roughly where the aire was but a bit of guesswork :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We have hit the same height chains in Rouen.

It was about 10 years ago and rush hour with many cars behind us.

We breathed in and risked the tunnel which was luckily slightly higher than the hanging warning chains.

A broken roof light and a few scratches but that was it.

Character building(y)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
the underpass in Rouen is 2.4m you can see the sign just before i turn left at the lights , which would maybe be too late. Almost went down myself on my first trip many years ago and know someone who lost the top of her PVC on one. Luckily on the video it was quiet as i knew roughly where the aire was but a bit of guesswork :rolleyes:

Thanks, rebby. We cross Newhaven to Dieppe and avoid most of Rouen City Centre, crossing Pont Gustav Flaubert or Mathilde [continual roadworks, so we never know which Bridge will be open until we reach the approaches ...], so I don't think that we will be affected 🤞. The underpass I was thinking of is at the foot of a long descent on the outskirts of the City ['Use engine braking' signs aplenty!], which I think has about 2.9m headroom [even with engine braking, it's difficult to keep the speed down low enough to be able to approach in a genteel fashion ...]. Last visit was with the caravan and we'd left the bikes in France, in the Vendee, so no problems with height, but I'm sure that I have driven through with Bikes on the car roof on a previous trip. Need to check the route again before I make a silly assumption!

Steve

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
We have hit the same height chains in Rouen.

It was about 10 years ago and rush hour with many cars behind us.

We breathed in and risked the tunnel which was luckily slightly higher than the hanging warning chains.

A broken roof light and a few scratches but that was it.

Character building(y)
The character probably built quite quickly, aided by the ample supply of manure in the cab area ... (y):LOL: The Black Box recording finished with the 'Damn, I forgot to pack the Tensile Strength Checking Gauge for my Bike Clips ...' :rolleyes:

Steve

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
And on your way to Pont de L’Arche aire 👍
Correct, that's the route we always use, why does people have a problem in Rouen? Tried the aire but very noisy as vehicles bump over the bridge end joints!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Elaine has found on Google Street View the route we take, and it appears free of risk of turning Brunhilde into a coupé! She did also find the roundabout that I loathe, detest and fear, the penultimate one [heading back towards Dieppe] before the Pont Gustav Flaubert. It's a huge construction, and traffic hurtles round, so you get about 1/2 second to 'go for it' and hope that the vehicle that has just emerged from the blind arc about 50m on the left, will back off as the caravan follows the car onto the roundabout ... The last visit resulted in a 'local' in an ancient Pug 205 to just create space by swerving across the front of Tig, before continuing to accelerate into the next arc. Adrenaline is not brown ... :rolleyes:

Steve

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Enjoying this thread - think the weather is much better in the south! ☔ The stopover at Route 66 sounds interesting 👍
Pleased you‘re enjoying the thread. We are heading south hoping for better weather. Tonight and Sunday in Sarlat to see out the forecast rain.

Harry’s Bar (Route 66 Motorcycle Hotel and campsite) is great. Run by Sue (a para-medic) and Elric McCloud, a couple of friendly Brits, at Bussiere Poitevine, they allowed us to park up for free. There is a tap available and what looks like a grey water drain, although we didn't use this. The municipal aire two hundred yards down the road has black waste facilities. They told us they were likely to install a black waste drain in the future.

After a nap, we had supper (chicken stir-fry) in the van before popping into the bar for a drink. The inside of Harry’s Bar is reminiscent of 1970s US road movies, where hapless tourists are beaten to death by grizzled, fat Hells Angels, using pool cues, for the heinous crime of bumping a biker so he spilt 10ccs of beer. But no such fun befell us; just friendly chat with Sue and Elric who explained that apart from hosting a quizz for the large number of English residents, they have occasional Sunday Roasts too. Not quite like the Wild Ones!

The Bar hosts musical evenings with love bands (the next being on the 16th) and every surface, walls, ceilings and counters are covered with the bands and biker groups who stop off there. There are comments on the walls, ‘colours’ of many chapters. Apart from all this, Sue and Elric also run the 10 roomed chambre d’hôte. We wish them every success in their enterprise and hope some of you will stop there.
C32950F6-C65B-4DED-BE92-8EF46B23D6C1.jpeg
F6E7CCD5-450F-4527-9246-A3140924F983.jpeg

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I got in the zone stupidly following a dutch Motorhome imo heading east so followed him. He indicated right to the underpass then changed his mind last minute I couldn’t pull out hence hit the chains. Lesson learnt follow your own route.
After our first time through Rouen many years ago 2006 , when I made the same mistake due to using car satnav in my Pilote A class , stopped just before the chains and had to reverse back up the incline and back out on to the on coming traffice , lesson learned . Now if going towards Rouen we divert to Totes , Yerville , Yvetot then down too La mailleraye sur Seine aire.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back