Well Done MAPLIN (1 Viewer)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Ran out of screw-on connectors so called at Maplin. They only sell them in single packs at £2.29 each so grudgingly purchased one to complete the cabling job I was doing on a Megasat dome that I'm selling. later I bought a pack of ten on the internet for £1.39 including free postage!!!
sat 01.jpg
sat 02.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not really sure what you are saying by 'well done Maplin'

If as I think you are saying you feel they are expensive, I really don't your 90p additional contribution towards their overheads is going to make them excess profit this year :), I don't know who the alternative seller was but it is likely they operate on a much smaller scale

You could always spend a couple of £'s on fuel and return them to Maplin for full credit, they are very generous on that front (y)

edit - now just read your post properly o_O see you only got one plug from Maplin

Now I get your point (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I used to buy them in huge cases from China.. 4p :)

At Stratford one of the stalls had lots of bagged bits and pieces on a revolving stand.. 1 single small roll of Insulation tape.. £2 !!!!!

While at Stratford my phone packed up and I needed a sim adaptor to make use of an old phone.. Maplins £6.99.. Small phone accessory retailer in town £2. ebay 99p for 2 and that was inc delivery !!

Supply and demand I guess...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
You needed it then, you paid for it then and maybe grumbled about the price, but you did get it - it's known as market forces. My first lesson in this was when I was 17 at the Dundrod motorcycle races in NI when cars were getting stuck in the muddy car park and local farmers were swooping with tractors to tow people out. "£5 just to tow me out?? No way" and then an hour later, with the car up to its axles in mud the same farmer came back. "It'll be £10 to tow you out". "What, it was only £5 an hour ago!!". "Yes, but you thought you didn't need me then, and now there's no alternative....." £10 was handed over....

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
I get some folk come into my towing shop and say, ok but I can get it on EBay for £3 and u want £4, will u take £3 as I need one today!

No I say, you need it, different from wanting it!

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Goodness knows why I bothered posting this. I'm not talking £10 against £20 or £3 against £4 but 1600 bloody percent is outrageous. Drive to a shop and buy today or punch a few keys and receive tomorrow. Yes, 70 years later and I'm still learning.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can't see the problem either go to a shop on an expensive retail park with expensive staff and it costs more than over the net. No different to having a beer in a pub or at home or a miniscule bit of cake in costa its called choice.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
I had the opposite problem last weekend. I wanted about 6 of these cable tie bases, but maplin only seem to sell them in packs of 100 for £7.99.
So instead I got a pack of 8 from Halfords for £3.39. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesives/halfords-adhesive-cable-tie-clips - a lot worse value I know per item, but I did save £4.60, and avoided clutter. I am sure they are probably cheaper on eBay, but I didn't want to wait.
Maybe I should have bought the 100 and sold the rest in packs of 10 on eBay :)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I can see the point you're making.
The difference is that the shop has huge overheads to pay whereas the online seller has minimal costs.
If we all shopped solely online, there would be no retail parks, shopping centres or high streets.

I have to confess that I buy lots online.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I think petest is right. Unfortunately we will get to a situation where there are no shops anymore. BHS is just the latest, as we shop more on line.........Shame, but there will be more.....:(

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Nowt wrong with being frugal. I expect to pay more when buying and supporting local shops as well as the convenience they offer but objected in this instance to the massive difference when I later shopped for the same item on line.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back