pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Campervan PARKING welcome.

Bet that means just that and not overnighting/sleeping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ive otften thought tescos or sainsburies would do something similar especially as some of there carparks are huge

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
In which country is this sign?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
not allowed under caravan and camping act . in uk.
but would be nice .
Although you'd likely still get away with it, I've often seen motorhomes in the car parks... It just pays to be up and moved early

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Although you'd likely still get away with it, I've often seen motorhomes in the car parks... It just pays to be up and moved early
in some countries even parking on your own land doesnt need planning . so long as the vehicle caravan etc is mobile . even residential type caravans so long as it could be hooked up and towed away its ok.
not in uk though.
yes you might get away with it .
but the company ,ie. supermarket could get fined for allowing it . not you.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ok the camping act stops them doing any thing like allowing camping on there property
nothing to stop them having sum motor home parking bays for customers while shopping in there stores.
if the customer happens to stay over after the shop has closed I there a problem with that.
maybe a forward thinking motor home club that has a camping exemption could approach them with some kind of arrangement.
all they have to provide is water tap and drain both probably there any way job done
bill

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just nice to see a positive approach I've seen similar signs in Spain lets hope they start it over here it just needs one chain to start the others will soon follow.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just nice to see a positive approach I've seen similar signs in Spain lets hope they start it over here it just needs one chain to start the others will soon follow.
this is rip off Brittan if theirs nothing in it for them they wont be interested
bill

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
this is rip off Brittan if theirs nothing in it for them they wont be interested
bill
but they cant .
do you not understand the law of the land?
it would be nice though.
every attempt to change the laws the uk motorhomers dont do enough to get the law changed . always leave it to others to do anything .
so the c.c and c,mc win every time .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
ive otften thought tescos or sainsburies would do something similar especially as some of there carparks are huge
Well LeClerks have aires on their stores in France,,BUSBY,,

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
but they cant .
do you not understand the law of the land?
it would be nice though.
every attempt to change the laws the uk motorhomers dont do enough to get the law changed . always leave it to others to do anything .
so the c.c and c,mc win every time .
I do under stand the law of the land and it was a generalisation.
but I wonder how brite stops is getting away with promoting illegal activity for profit if the law is so stringent dose natural England know of there activity
ther is one thing abut the cc and the c&cc they do try to give facility's and I think a good return for your money.
they don't have very good carectors running there bigger sites but I do like the cl networks
tenner to park and dump.
I am sure that a properly constituted club with imaginative staff could fill a gap in the market there setting up a cl night stop network with super markets

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I do under stand the law of the land and it was a generalisation.
but I wonder how brite stops is getting away with promoting illegal activity for profit if the law is so stringent dose natural England know of there activity
ther is one thing abut the cc and the c&cc they do try to give facility's and I think a good return for your money.
they don't have very good carectors running there bigger sites but I do like the cl networks
tenner to park and dump.
I am sure that a properly constituted club with imaginative staff could fill a gap in the market there setting up a cl night stop network with super markets
i know what you mean with brit stops and using pubs gives the rest of uk the idea that m,homers are drunkards .
not getting at you personaly .i hope you know where i,m coming from .
uk is really behind these days .
france never allowed m,homes on campsites years ago so french m,homers caused as that started aires .
uk m,homers dont stick together or cause a fuss so lose out .
i dont use campsites or aires . mind i did use a campsite in spain in 2009 .
never really found the need .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Isn't this just the same photo that was posted a few months ago, I believe it's in Portugal, stating the obvious to me me "you are welcome to park to come in and spend money" does it say any more than that.

Martin

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Bet you'd get a letter from ParkingEye if you tried to "park" overnight in most UK supermarket carparks! :)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If we could get a separate description of our vehicles from the official, "MotorCARAVANS" that would be a good first step in getting some daylight between us and the tuggers when it comes to Legislation in regard to Camping.
Let's face it. The Law was created in the 60's when a motorcaravan was a converted day van with no on board drinking water or grey waste. The toilet, (if there was one) did not as a generality have a cassette.

Things have moved on somewhat but the legislation hasn't.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I wasn't aware there was such a thing as the Camping and Caravanning Act, do all camping activities not come under the Public Health Acts?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I know about the Caravan Sites Act but I always thought that the Public Health Acts controlled camping

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Staying on store car parks is not our 1st choice of night stop really . Sometimes however ,circumstances can dictate otherwise. That said , I make it perfectly clear , each to their own in regards to preferred places to overnight.

Couple of months ago we were in Fort William and seen the yellow signs (no sleeping/camping in vehicles ) at the big car park overlooking the loch. That car park does have dedicated and clearly marked motorhome /caravan bays. We decided not to take a chance on overnighting there as the signs did quote Highland Council and a 1999 road act or something .
Having had an enjoyable day and not wanting any grief and also fancying a meal out and wander about the town , we went in to the local Lidl store and asked the manager if it was ok to park up overnight in their car park. He was perfectly ok with that , so we stocked up with a few bits and bobs in the store , then tucked ourselves in to the car park corner slot and bivvied the van up for the night.

So possibly its ok to park overnight on a Lidl car park , IF asking individual store managers first ?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
If we could get a separate description of our vehicles from the official, "MotorCARAVANS" that would be a good first step in getting some daylight between us and the tuggers when it comes to Legislation in regard to Camping.
Let's face it. The Law was created in the 60's when a motorcaravan was a converted day van with no on board drinking water or grey waste. The toilet, (if there was one) did not as a generality have a cassette.

Things have moved on somewhat but the legislation hasn't.

The legislation was slightly revised in 2006 and 2010 by increasing the dimensions of "caravans" to make sure that the biggest twin unit mobile homes and Park Homes that can be transported by road would be covered by the Act. The definition of "caravan" still includes "any motor vehicle so designed or adapted" (for human habitation) - that means us. And any tent!

I agree that this legislation needs reform. In particular the builders' covenants to prevent house buyers from keeping a caravan on their drive should not be presumed to be linked to the definition of "caravan" in the 1960 Act, which was for a completely different purpose. These builders' covenants are intended to protect their interests until the Estate has been built out and the last dwelling has been sold, so there needs to be a review whether they should be enforceable maybe 60 years later. There is a separate question whether MHs and touring caravans should be lumped together by definition, for all purposes.

It is absurd that many of these builders' covenants would ban keeping a PVC at home but not a work van.

With my geek head on I tried researching the background and reasons for the 1960 Act. The Hansard record of the debate on this legislation in the House of Lords showed that the housing shortage after WW2 had resulted in a boom in private houseowners buying several caravans, putting them in their gardens, and renting them out as permanent living accommodation for families. This seemed unacceptable to the hereditary Peers who made speeches against this spreading blight. They were of course major landowners and would have had a vested interest in restricting any threat to their own rental income. The other reason of course was the need to bring the spread of campsites on farmland under Planning control. There was no evidence that the early campervans of the time were a problem. It was the caravan boom that produced this legislation.

MHs are innocent, OK! :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back