Weird Eurotunnel Security Question (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Came through Folkestone Enroute to Belgium this morning very quick Checkin no queues for passport control so through 10 minutes tops.

strange question after UK passport where they ask if you gas is off or direct you for an explosives swab they asked if the vehicle was Manual or automatic.

Manual vehicles were being directed to the sheds and they we checking them thoroughly including emptying out a few vehicles.

Very strange perhaps a New security threat of some kind ?

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We came through on the 9.20 am train and only the gas check for us. No other intrusion at all.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Came through Folkestone Enroute to Belgium this morning very quick Checkin no queues for passport control so through 10 minutes tops.

strange question after UK passport where they ask if you gas is off or direct you for an explosives swab they asked if the vehicle was Manual or automatic.

Manual vehicles were being directed to the sheds and they we checking them thoroughly including emptying out a few vehicles.

'Manual, sir?'
'Just a minute, Officer. It's in the glovebox ...'

Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Perhaps manual ones on odd dates and autos on even dates?

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Perhaps manual ones on odd dates and autos on even dates?
I think I read something about Border Security checks about 3 years ago at a Spanish airport, IIRC (time and location!). The theory was that terrorists would be primed with the answer to the standard security questions, but throwing in a question that a European (?) Traveller would not have to think twice about, would cause a Terrorist some difficulty, and the eyes and body language would give cause for detention and further questions.

Steve

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I think they just pick a “topic” and pull all those vehicles as a random check.
one day green vehicles, next day 4x4’s, then female drivers etc. Possibly just another “tend” to use.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It’s that the scanner where you leave the vehicle running out the gear, and it’s pulled trough the scanner?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We were asked to open the bonnet once and the security geezer spent over five minutes searching for who knows what and nowhere else.The vehicle in front was searched internally by one and the garage by another. Most bizarre 🤔

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
m
I think they just pick a “topic” and pull all those vehicles as a random check.
one day green vehicles, next day 4x4’s, then female drivers etc. Possibly just another “tend” to use.
my nephew and co worker used to think up a theme when doing joint interviews and see how many times the could slip it in ie if the theme was animals phrases like working like a dog strong as an ox etc
maybe they are playing the same game

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It could be that they had been given a tip off to watch out for a MH with a manual gear box as they were hiding some contraband (not in the gear box silly!). :giggle:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Simple answer, the vehicles being searched were being put through the x-ray machine.

Ive no idea why, but they can’t x-ray automatics. With a manual you drive a wheel onto the conveyor and stick it in neutral. But for some reason (I know not what) theres a problem with an auto box.

I drive a manual works van and once asked about this and was simply told “no automatics can do through the x-ray”

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Simple answer, the vehicles being searched were being put through the x-ray machine.

Ive no idea why, but they can’t x-ray automatics. With a manual you drive a wheel onto the conveyor and stick it in neutral. But for some reason (I know not what) theres a problem with an auto box.

I drive a manual works van and once asked about this and was simply told “no automatics can do through the x-ray”
Surely the crims would know this and smuggle via automatic cars.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Back on the 1970s Germany and Holland would have the odd diplomatic difficulty, mainly over trading pre EEC. Coming from Germany on a motorbike Dutch Customs once stopped me and asked "Do you have any sugar or non-european rabbits?". I suppose they were instructed to make things difficult but had the typical Dutch sense of humour. Unless of course that's what they eat.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Some Autos don’t like being towed if one of its drive wheels is on the ground.

Back in the day most could be towed up to about 15 mph if I remember correctly 😊

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thought electric cars can’t be towed so that will be interesting in the future !!

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Surely the crims would know this and smuggle via automatic cars.
That’s exactly what I said

Trucks have a drive through x-ray, so I’ve no idea why not vans

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That’s exactly what I said

Trucks have a drive through x-ray, so I’ve no idea why not vans
Perhaps they don't want to see all the skeletons of the occupants ... :giggle:

1632130735518.png

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Terrorists expect a series of security questions and are primed with the response. 'Weird' questions will throw them, whereas, say, Lenny HB, stopped on his return from Belgium, when asked how he coped with the toilet cassette pong would be able to explain in great detail the SOG, the installation process etc etc and could then offer a Master Class, whilst a Terrorist would be in need of a cassette, whilst trying to answer the question 🤭

The purpose is to throw the Terrorists off guard with the innocuous question that we Funsters with a fridge full of Dairy products and a garage full of wine and beer wouldn't be fazed by in the slightest ... 👍🤣

Steve

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Just a gas check for us around 10 days ago. The dog now has a french pet passport, which could be fun going back. What has been really nice is there’s not any Brits so no whining about parking too close, no whining about using the wrong hose for swilling out the cassette, just friendly greetings. How different from the usual. I could get to like this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back