Weird clicking sound coming from relay box (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Noticed today that when the power is switched off, no mains or battery there is a clicking sound coming from a relay box under the sofa. I then put the power on it stops, turn the power off it starts again a few mins later. It doesn't do it if the alarm is armed. I have only noticed today. Any ideas? It sound like a very loud clock :-(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I bet most of us have the same but never turn everything off :D

No idea what is causing it, but why turn everything off?

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Not sure, thought the power was turned off when not using the van. Is that not meant to happen? Does the battery not drain if left on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure, thought the power was turned off when not using the van. Is that not meant to happen? Does the battery not drain if left on?

I guess all MH's will be a bit different, but my logic says if nothing is in use there will be no drain

We are lucky though and keep ours at home on permanent hook up

I hope I am not just adding to your confusion, do not presume all of us here know much more than your average newbie :D there are some very clever ones though, someone will help you and put me straight

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I'm interested in an answer to this one too as I have something similar some of the time! Aaaaarg lecky, gas, engines, if only I had some skill!

To Gorse................I'm running boss!(y)

Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
Noticed today that when the power is switched off, no mains or battery there is a clicking sound coming from a relay box under the sofa. I then put the power on it stops, turn the power off it starts again a few mins later. It doesn't do it if the alarm is armed. I have only noticed today. Any ideas? It sound like a very loud clock :-(

I had the same thing happen a few weeks ago with my Ducato van conversion, it turned out to be a faulty relay which I had replaced with a more heavy duty one by a local auto electrician, problem solved !!

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
So i persume at the moment no damage will be done if left for a bit? I will contact our dealer and ask if i t can be looked at when we are next in the area.

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought but on my heater if the switch for the gas isn't turned off fully it keeps trying to ignite which sounds like a time bombe ticking

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
After more investigation it does happen when the alarm is on. It turns out nothing to do with the alarm, i phoned the alarm people and their electric is no where near it. So phoned dealers and they suggested bringing it in for them to check it out. Keeping it plugged in for now as don't want it clicking all t he time just in case it causes problems.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
This reminds me of when our relay box wasn't right - odd clickings when there shouldn't have been any. We had problems with the fridge running on 12v and had to get a new relay box.

When you say it settles down when the power's on do you mean mains power as in electric hook up, or 12v as in leisure battery power?

Also, some gadgets may operate completely independently of the control panel but still put a drain on the battery. In our case the fan for the blown air heater could drain the leisure battery if mistakenly left on long enough, even when the 12v supply was turned off at the control panel. Have you switched everything off?

I think your alarm is most likely to be running off your engine battery, not your leisure battery.

Do you have a solar panel on the roof?

My gut feeling on this is that your relay box may be trying to protect your leisure battery voltage from getting too low, but it's only a guess and I'm no auto electrician.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Everything is switched off that i can see. I think you may be right, but i don't know enough. Thank goodness for warranties :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back