Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi all

Now I know there are a number of posts concerning weights etc, but I would like just to be sure on my vehicle and would like to pick the brains of those that know!

Our vehicle is a 2002 Hymer B544. Whilst away in Scotland we had to replace the two rear tyres due to delamination which now makes me question if we were to heavy, particularly on the rear axle.

The plate reads (with no description) in order top to bottom, 3400kg, 5400kg, 1. 1750kg and 2. 1900kg. So I take that as total weight, total with trailer, front and rear axle. The total of the front and rear is higher than the 3400 so I understand this to mean the max per axle but divided between front and rear but not to exceed 3400, if that makes sense!

We've had a big sort out, re-distributed and got rid of non essentials and now going to pop along to our nearest weighbridge which is Gedling, NG4 2JT.

Would anyone know the un-laden weight of our Hymer by any chance or know where I can find it?

Anything else I should consider before booking an appointment. Or anything I'm wrong about please.

Cheers Dave

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Yes it makes sense. Your total weight cannot exceed 3400kg. The 5400kg applies of your towing.

Your unladen weight is whatever the van weighs once you empty your stuff out. I never believe the dealers or the manufacturers on this as in my experience its always misleading. The only way to know is to weight the van at a weighbridge.

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Dave

Would say you are spot on with the weight plate translation.

It will be difficult to get an exact unladen or MIRO as it would depend on options fitted at the time of build, things like side door extra garage door extra battery etc etc all need to be added in.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
The unladen weight is not really relevant anyway on a van like that, since at 3400kg on a van of that vintage, the unladen weight will be user 3050 kg, which affects the speed limits (normal car - if heavier it is 50 single, 60 dual and 70 motorway).

The weights that you need are the front and rear axles in normal road going trim with everything on board including fuel and also the overall weight. You will need a tyre appropriate to the axle max loading. In other words a tyre with a load rating that will exceed 950kg. The load rating is on the chart below and also on the tyre - e.g. 215/70 R15 cp 109 - the 109 is the load rating

Tyre Load Rating.jpg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Do you know how old the tyres were that had to be replaced? Perhaps they gave up the ghost due to old age rather than being overloaded - its a possibility.

I would weigh the van with all your normal stuff in it with full gas bottles, full fuel tank etc and then its easier to add on anything more in terms of your own and passenger weight plus food, water and clothes.

As has been said already the unladen weight is irrelevant.

If you get to the weighbridge and its a problem then SV Tech are the firm to talk to about an upgrade.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
For the cost of using the weighbridge (£8.50 here) just do it.

It will either give you peace of mind or alert you to a problem. Either is better than not knowing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thanks for all the comments and tips. The tyres that failed were just coming up to 5 years old.

The good news is that they delaminated whilst Ginny was on board so she's happily going along with me throwing off the non-essentials which has included cutting down on her clothing and shoes!

Cheers Dave

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Don't forget, it doesn't matter what load rating the tyres have if there's not enough air in them!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back