Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
I know there have been a lot of threads on this topic, but think someone might find my (good) experience helpful.

1. I emailed my van manufacturer in Germany (LMC) saying that I believed my van chassis (number) might be upratable. Could they tell me what the weight could be without modification? (Email in English)

2. Almost by return I got an email from the company, also in English, saying it can increase from 3,500 to 3,850 kg without technical intervention. If I want new plates and certification they will email me a prepayment invoice for 160 euros.

3. Next working day get invoice and pay it online through my bank - all necessary details provided.

4. One week later receive new LMC and Al-Ko plates with certification documents confirming that the permissible weight is 3,850 kg.

5. Download and complete HGV tax application form from DVLA site. Change the weight on my V5C to 3,850. Send the forms, plates and certification documents, MoT certificate, cheque for £165 and a polite covering letter to DVLA on 6 July.

6. Receive confirmation of change and my submitted documents on 15 July, with note to effect that new V5C will follow shortly.

I know it was a bog standard, no technical mods change, but I was very pleased with DVLA and the advice on how to do it on here and at the Southdowns site (very helpful and simple advice).

BTW I did it because the combined previous owners' addition of awning, solar panel and other stuff, personal traditional build and having enough basics for 3 - 6 month trips meant 3,500 wasn't on, but 3,850 is OK.

Dave

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
That's good, I did my Hymer through Hymer Germany for 250€, about £220, they sent new weight plate and invoice, then I had to pay. Still cheaper than SVTec

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
a prepayment invoice for 160 euros

Next working day get invoice and pay it online

cheque for £165 and a polite covering letter to DVLA on 6 July.

Very reasonable and less than half what SVtech will charge

Less that half to the manufacturer in Germany yes but Andy if he paid DVLA £165 on top of that then it's the same all bar a few pence due to the exchange rate. I might be missing something but I didn't pay DVLA a penny when I did mine with SV.

EDIT: Was the VED due and the £165 for that?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Please note that although there are important advantages to raising the permitted load, there is also a downside regarding speed and a few other inconveniences especially in France where you may find that 80kph and no overtaking means you.

OP
OP
Daveg

Daveg

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
November 2012
Sorry, not clear. The £165 was the first year road tax at the new weight. My previous tax was up at the end of July.

The new registration document turned up today (the day after the other stuff). Go DVLA.

Re Rosalan's points - it's really a risk analysis thing. Consequences of being found overweight, however unlikely, seem pretty severe. We will live with the speed limits.

Dave

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
The new registration document turned up today (the day after the other stuff). Go DVLA.

Just check it carefully before heaping praise on them, mine went from being a 3500kg PLG motor-caravan to a 3500kg PHGV special vehicle - think fire engine crane etc. Took them 13 weeks to finally get me a document with all the right information on - 4250kg PHGV motor-caravan.

Still it does mean, that with weight plates in different locations (under bonnet and in passenger side door frame, that I have a choice of weights and supporting registration documents depending what I need one for!

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I am thinking, well I know with all our clutter in the van we are over weight 3.5. I think I understand all the above. BUT did I read some where that as I am over 70, I have to alter my driving licence?

colyboy

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You will need a C1 licence. If you passed your test when you were younger you probably got a C1 entitlement with it. And you were able to continue using it after the rules changed, under grandfather rights. However the bad news is that you will have lost that entitlement to C1 when your licence was renewed when you were 70, unless you specifically asked to keep the C1 and passed the medical test to do so. So if you didn't you can no longer drive vehicles over 3.5 t. But all is not lost because I think you can apply to have it reinstated, but you will still need to pass the medical and have to renew that medical every 3 years.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am thinking, well I know with all our clutter in the van we are over weight 3.5. I think I understand all the above. BUT did I read some where that as I am over 70, I have to alter my driving licence?

colyboy
Rather than jumping through DVSA hoops for possibly months with the possibilty of being refused, maybe a small camping trailer to lug around your excess payload.
You still have the B category on your licence which allows up to 3500kg van plus up to 750kg trailer.
B+E, which you also still have, allows any weight trailer with some restrictions.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
b+e if licence aquired before 2013 allows any weight trailer so long as you dont break trainweight of towing vehicle .
the french for years have had to tow nice box trailers behind their m,homes as they never had over 3,500kg licences . its one way of doing it . trailers carry washing machines ,roof full of solar . bikes . extra store for food etc ideally not a small trailer then some have wardrobes built in as well.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Our little van has a user payload of 452kg and the mass in running order is 2548kg. The mtplm is 3000kg. Surely the 1st 2 figures should add up to 3000 or am I missing something?
That means payload is down to 352kg?
Me thinks a visit to visit a weighbridge is needed.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I, like others, am interested in this topic as we have to watch our MAM weight of 3500. I contacted SV Tech, gave him the data on the two plates and he said no problem, fill in the form on his website, digital images of the two plates and the V5c and a cheque for £312. No modifications required to the vehicle.

Decided to have a look at DIY so a couple of hours online and a few phone calls later I have found out that there is a DIY solution (but I am not looking at it through rose coloured glasses and thinking it will be this simple) but the gist of it is that you have to deal with, in the first instance, DVSA (formerly VOSA)

Go to the GOV website and download form VTG 10 This is the form for changing the plated weights etc of HGV's but it also covers application for a Design Weight Certificate.
Complete the form and mark at the top of the form "Design Weight Certificate." to make it clear that this is what you are applying for. The fee for this is £15. (the form says £27 but that is for HGV plating) I was told that, although you have to put in details of your nearest DVSA test centre, a physical examination of the vehicle would not be needed.
Once you get the Design Weight Certificate, get your V5C changed as in...

https://www.gov.uk/change-vehicle-details-registration-certificate

I have not looked into this yet, but think that (as mentioned in previous posts) there is a change in road tax classification so that will have to be sorted but DVLA say in the last para of the link above that...

"What happens next

DVLA will contact you to:

• confirm the change or tell you if it needs an inspection
  • tell you if the change means you have to pay more vehicle tax"

Regarding C1 licence at 70 yrs I asked DVLA about the timing of the application to retain the C1 and was told to wait until I received the forms they would send about 2 months before the renewal was due. (I am a little sceptical about this I think there may be a presumption that you are happy to accept the free standard renewal rather than apply for the C1)
What I did find out regarding timing is that DVLA will accept the completed form D4 Medical Questionnaire as long as it has been signed by the doctor within FOUR MONTHS of the application being received

Regarding the form D4 I asked our surgery if the £104 fee quoted included the eye test and was told that it did if you don't wear glasses! When asked if this was reading or driving glasses she was unable to give me an answer! I then rung our local Specsavers and asked what they charged for completing the eyesight section of the D4 and was told that if I qualified for free eye tests the form would be completed and stamped for free!
All the information I have given above is word of mouth so obviously if you speak to someone different you may get a different answer

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our little van has a user payload of 452kg and the mass in running order is 2548kg. The mtplm is 3000kg. Surely the 1st 2 figures should add up to 3000 or am I missing something?
That means payload is down to 352kg?
Me thinks a visit to visit a weighbridge is needed.
It's your maths, 452 + 2548 = 3000:)

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Doh! I ran out of fingers and toes and the neighbours were out